I001 (I03, I08) i001 (BMW i3) Bluetooth Album art coding - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-24-2018, 08:40 AM
heresy_fnord heresy_fnord is offline
Registered User
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW i3
i001 (BMW i3) Bluetooth Album art coding

After digging through the threads in this coding forum, i've come across this:

Code:
HU_NBT => ENT_BTAS_IAP_COVERART = aktiv
All I want to do is play music from my Pixel 2 phone over bluetooth and have it show the album art on the display.

I want to be clear, music playback for me is already working just fine. I just can't see the album art when I play music. I was curious if anyone has had success with that particular setting in the i3.

Also, after searching over the past year, I have seen some references to people simply hooking a USB cable into their phone and having that allow them to display album art but that doesn't work for me. Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-24-2018, 09:27 AM
babyk babyk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 114
Mein Auto: BMW F30
Do you have 6NS in your FA?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-24-2018, 11:18 AM
heresy_fnord heresy_fnord is offline
Registered User
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyk View Post
Do you have 6NS in your FA?
I'm honestly not sure but I'll look and see. I am familiar with some of the common sections like bkombi and the like. Is 6NS one of those sections? Where would I look to see that?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-24-2018, 06:17 PM
babyk babyk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 114
Mein Auto: BMW F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post
I'm honestly not sure but I'll look and see. I am familiar with some of the common sections like bkombi and the like. Is 6NS one of those sections? Where would I look to see that?
Read FA

Under SALAPA element, check whether you have 6NS or it is with 6NL or 6NK?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2018, 10:55 PM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,277
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post
I'm honestly not sure but I'll look and see. I am familiar with some of the common sections like bkombi and the like. Is 6NS one of those sections? Where would I look to see that?
Are you using Bimmercode/iCarly, or are you using ESys?

Sent from my PH-1 using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-26-2018, 12:02 PM
heresy_fnord heresy_fnord is offline
Registered User
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Follower View Post
Are you using Bimmercode/iCarly, or are you using ESys?

Sent from my PH-1 using Bimmerfest mobile app
I have e-sys 3.27.1 with tokenmaster's launcher pro that was linked to from the getting started thread here in this coding forum. I think its version 2.8?

On my 2015 BMW i3 REx, I just recently coded the REx hold mode along with the 8 liter gas tank. Giving that conext as I know my e-sys software is working in general.

EDIT: I just did some testing as I own two phones. An iPhone 7s (I think that's the model) and a Pixel 2.

I can get album art over Bluetooth from the iPhone, just not the android phone. So I think that is a big piece of the puzzle, just not sure what specifically about the pixel 2 is the issue. Testing was done with Spotify (both phones) and Google Play Music on the pixel 2.

Last edited by heresy_fnord; 08-26-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Almaretto's Avatar
Almaretto Almaretto is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Mountain View, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,937
Mein Auto: Test Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post
I have e-sys 3.27.1 with tokenmaster's launcher pro that was linked to from the getting started thread here in this coding forum. I think its version 2.8?

On my 2015 BMW i3 REx, I just recently coded the REx hold mode along with the 8 liter gas tank. Giving that conext as I know my e-sys software is working in general.

EDIT: I just did some testing as I own two phones. An iPhone 7s (I think that's the model) and a Pixel 2.

I can get album art over Bluetooth from the iPhone, just not the android phone. So I think that is a big piece of the puzzle, just not sure what specifically about the pixel 2 is the issue. Testing was done with Spotify (both phones) and Google Play Music on the pixel 2.
You should VO code rather than just doing the one FDL value.

Beyond that, I know not have to ensure Bluetooth Album art. I have a few Pixels. but never use for streaming media.

Since it is working for one device but not the other, it may be phone limitation or setting on device.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2018, 06:23 PM
heresy_fnord heresy_fnord is offline
Registered User
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
You should VO code rather than just doing the one FDL value.

Beyond that, I know not have to ensure Bluetooth Album art. I have a few Pixels. but never use for streaming media.

Since it is working for one device but not the other, it may be phone limitation or setting on device.
When you say "VO code" I don't really know what that means.

Is there a specific set of settings I should check?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Almaretto's Avatar
Almaretto Almaretto is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Mountain View, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,937
Mein Auto: Test Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post
When you say "VO code" I don't really know what that means.

Is there a specific set of settings I should check?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Fxx-/Ixx-/Gxx-series Coding: Getting Started Guides, Tips, & Cheat Sheets

ADD 6NS and VO Code NBT.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-26-2018, 06:43 PM
heresy_fnord heresy_fnord is offline
Registered User
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW i3
Thanks. I have two suggestions between yourself and babyk, so I'm going to try to check both of those things / change them and then report back.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-28-2018, 06:46 AM
heresy_fnord heresy_fnord is offline
Registered User
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyk View Post
Read FA

Under SALAPA element, check whether you have 6NS or it is with 6NL or 6NK?
Click image for larger version

Name:	salapa element.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	815507

I don't see any of those. I have attached a photo, I assume I checked the correct "SALAPA" location?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-28-2018, 07:44 AM
babyk babyk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 114
Mein Auto: BMW F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post
Attachment 815507

I don't see any of those. I have attached a photo, I assume I checked the correct "SALAPA" location?
Edit FA, add 6NS in

Write FA

VO Code HU_NBT/HU_CHAMP2
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-28-2018, 06:12 PM
Almaretto's Avatar
Almaretto Almaretto is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Mountain View, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,937
Mein Auto: Test Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyk View Post
Edit FA, add 6NS in

Write FA

VO Code HU_NBT/HU_CHAMP2
No need to write FA.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-28-2018, 06:58 PM
zilch zilch is offline
Registered User
Location: Hong Kong
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: G30 520D
Let me share my experience on displaying album arts over Bluetooth from an Android phone.

Although audio/video remote control profile (AVRCP) 1.6, which supposedly supports album arts over Bluetooth, is added to Android since 8.0, I can't get the album arts over Bluetooth working from an Android phone on NBT Evo without Connected app.

Once I connected the phone with AVRCP 1.6 selected in developer option, NBT Evo can't play or read the track info. I need to manually switch back to AVRCP 1.5 or below for playing music normally.

Some people say that it is Android 8.0 bug and should be fixed in 8.1. My phone is in Android 9 but still no luck.

I didn't test on other device which supports AVRCP 1.6 with my phone so I don't know it is Android problem or NBT Evo problem or both.

My NBT Evo isn't updated for a year so I don't know if the newer version fixes this problem or not as well.

Right now if I want the album arts working I can only use connected app. However the timeline or the track blinks and not accurate. And the track info and album arts stop updating after around 30 minutes.

I hope that this is my settings problem and you can make this works and share your experience at that.

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post
After digging through the threads in this coding forum, i've come across this:

Code:
HU_NBT => ENT_BTAS_IAP_COVERART = aktiv
All I want to do is play music from my Pixel 2 phone over bluetooth and have it show the album art on the display.

I want to be clear, music playback for me is already working just fine. I just can't see the album art when I play music. I was curious if anyone has had success with that particular setting in the i3.

Also, after searching over the past year, I have seen some references to people simply hooking a USB cable into their phone and having that allow them to display album art but that doesn't work for me. Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 AM
heresy_fnord heresy_fnord is offline
Registered User
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW i3
Can anyone explain to me why my car doesn't seem to have any of the following: 6NH, 6NK, or 6NL?

I feel like my car is an anomoly. When I do research on 6NS (which appears to be the magic key to enhanced bluetooth), I see lots of references to updated from an older or lesser version of this "6N?" series which apparently controls bluetooth in some way. Lots of talk about NBT headunit which my car seems to have. My particular car has the technology package so I already have the larger nav screen. My car can play music via bluetooth and it shows the artist and album names.

I see these other websites that reference these things and can't for the life of me figure out where my car fits in all of this:

This site mentions moving from 6NH to 6NS (again I don't even have 6NH) - http://bmwspecialistreading.co.uk/bm...etooth-coding/

This other thread in bimmerfest talks about changes to the 2015 model year and even shows a diagram indicating that album art should work over bluetooth regardless (making this all the more confusing) - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=778185


EDIT: By the way, I did some light reading on VO coding. This appears to be a way to add an entire feature set to a car, and you aren't necessarily adding features to a car that don't exist? If I VO code my car, will I have to also go back in and reset my unlocked range extender and my increased gas tank capacity? Those two features were fixed using FDL coding. I don't have a problem with this per say, just trying to understand what I'm up against in doing all of this.

Last edited by heresy_fnord; 09-12-2018 at 08:03 AM. Reason: added info regarding VO coding and my FDL coding
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-12-2018, 08:01 AM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is online now
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 35,799
Mein Auto: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post
Can anyone explain to me why my car doesn't seem to have any of the following: 6NH, 6NK, or 6NL?

I feel like my car is an anomoly. When I do research on 6NS (which appears to be the magic key to enhanced bluetooth), I see lots of references to updated from an older or lesser version of this "6N?" series which apparently controls bluetooth in some way. Lots of talk about NBT headunit which my car seems to have. My particular car has the technology package so I already have the larger nav screen. My car can play music via bluetooth and it shows the artist and album names.

I see these other websites that reference these things and can't for the life of me figure out where my car fits in all of this:

This site mentions moving from 6NH to 6NS (again I don't even have 6NH) - http://bmwspecialistreading.co.uk/bm...etooth-coding/

This other thread in bimmerfest talks about changes to the 2015 model year and even shows a diagram indicating that album art should work over bluetooth regardless (making this all the more confusing) - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=778185
PM me your short VIN (last 7).
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-12-2018, 08:10 AM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,277
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post
Can anyone explain to me why my car doesn't seem to have any of the following: 6NH, 6NK, or 6NL?

I feel like my car is an anomoly. When I do research on 6NS (which appears to be the magic key to enhanced bluetooth), I see lots of references to updated from an older or lesser version of this "6N?" series which apparently controls bluetooth in some way. Lots of talk about NBT headunit which my car seems to have. My particular car has the technology package so I already have the larger nav screen. My car can play music via bluetooth and it shows the artist and album names.

I see these other websites that reference these things and can't for the life of me figure out where my car fits in all of this:

This site mentions moving from 6NH to 6NS (again I don't even have 6NH) - http://bmwspecialistreading.co.uk/bm...etooth-coding/

This other thread in bimmerfest talks about changes to the 2015 model year and even shows a diagram indicating that album art should work over bluetooth regardless (making this all the more confusing) - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=778185


EDIT: By the way, I did some light reading on VO coding. This appears to be a way to add an entire feature set to a car, and you aren't necessarily adding features to a car that don't exist? If I VO code my car, will I have to also go back in and reset my unlocked range extender and my increased gas tank capacity? Those two features were fixed using FDL coding. I don't have a problem with this per say, just trying to understand what I'm up against in doing all of this.
The 2015 MY thread you quoted is for F30 vehicles, different option sets and doesn't apply to I3.

None of the I3 models in the USA came with any of the 6NX codes, to enable enhanced Bluetooth you just add in 6NS. But as far as Android Album Art, don't hold your breath. I have had 4 i3s and 4 different androids, album art has not transferred on any of them. You also cannot scroll the Playlist with the thumb wheel like you can an iPhone.

You will have to fix your HSOC FDL coding since it is in the headunit, but the gas tank mod is in the KOMBI and won't be touched.
__________________

Last edited by God-Follower; 09-12-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
album art, bluetooth, cover art, i0001, i3


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.