OEM Euro I Gold Coolant okay for BMW E83? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-12-2019, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3 3.0si
OEM Euro I Gold Coolant okay for BMW E83?

Recently I discovered a coolant leak, so I am going to get my coolant reservoir replaced. During the process, I also want to flush the cooling system. While looking for coolants I found the OEM Euro I coolant at Canadian Tire for BMW, however, the colour of the coolant is gold, compared to the traditional blue for BMWs. I was wondering whether the gold coolant would make a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 03:48 PM
BeeemerBro

Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
I also want to flush the cooling system. I was wondering whether the gold coolant would make a difference?[/QUOTE]

Here you go choices, choices and more choices!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3, 442, S15, F150
I was taught in class to never mix coolant colors. When Pentofrost blue is available at autoparts stores, and you can order the BMW stuff for under $30, why take a chance?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt

Mein Auto: e46;e92;f30;e83, AMv8v
The gold OEM brand (labelled for BMW) is fine. Both are HOAT. You can mix it with the zerex (bmw labelled) blue coolant currently in your system. color is not a reliable identifier as OEM sell a blue coolant (for Honda's) that you should not mix with HOAT.

Unfortunately BMW dealers in Canada still believe they are selling unicorn tears in their BMW coolant jugs. Get the OEM stuff at Canadian Tire. Buy the full strength and mix it 50/50 with distilled water, otherwise your buying water with the premixed. Or buy the Valvoline Zerex G48 coolant which is actually what the BMW dealer is selling. Last time I saw a jug of coolant at a Toronto BMW dealer it was $42. I'll fill 4 bimmers with G48 (same stuff) for that.

read here for more info: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=19

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-13-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
The gold OEM brand (labelled for BMW) is fine. Both are HOAT. You can mix it with the zerex (bmw labelled) blue coolant currently in your system. color is not a reliable identifier as OEM sell a blue coolant (for Honda's) that you should not mix with HOAT.

Unfortunately BMW dealers in Canada still believe they are selling unicorn tears in their BMW coolant jugs. Get the OEM stuff at Canadian Tire. Buy the full strength and mix it 50/50 with distilled water, otherwise your buying water with the premixed. Or buy the Valvoline Zerex G48 coolant which is actually what the BMW dealer is selling. Last time I saw a jug of coolant at a Toronto BMW dealer it was $42. I'll fill 4 bimmers with G48 (same stuff) for that.

read here for more info: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=19
Good info. I will check into Canadian tire gold coolant if I will need to bleed my x3. Thanks.

The price is very good, OEM Pre-Mixed Premium Anti-Freeze Coolant, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, 3.78-L

19.99CAD per jar 50/50 pre mixed

Last edited by kind16; 01-15-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind16 View Post
Good info. I will check into Canadian tire gold coolant if I will need to bleed my x3. Thanks.

The price is very good, OEM Pre-Mixed Premium Anti-Freeze Coolant, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, 3.78-L

19.99CAD per jar 50/50 pre mixed
It isn't Canadian Tire coolant. This firms been making coolant for almost 70 years. It is made by a Canadian chemical firm (Recochem) who make a line of 8 OEM coolants specifically to simplify the somewhat deceptive brand marketing by car manufacturers. No coolant is one-size-fits-all and they offer 8 different coolant compositions that are compatible and meet the certifications required by specific manufacturers. They package them into jugs that are clearly identified as to which vehicles they are suitable and compatible with to ensure warranty eligibility. It's a relatively recent campaign but already proven very successful for them. Right now they can't keep up with demand.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 PM
BeeemerBro

Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
The gold OEM brand (labelled for BMW) is fine. Both are HOAT. You can mix it with the zerex (bmw labelled) blue coolant currently in your system.

So if I remember from grade school art class...yellow (gold) mixed with blue (BMW) will give me....the green stuff!!! my point is I could very well have green Coolant in my BMW system and it be perfectly fine?

Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmurBrothor View Post
So if I remember from grade school art class...yellow (gold) mixed with blue (BMW) will give me....the green stuff!!! my point is I could very well have green Coolant in my BMW system and it be perfectly fine?

Actually if you mix the HOAT global color (yellow or amber) with the BMW labelled HOAT (blue) coolant you still get blue coolant.

....For the rainbow of colors of HOAT, your only substitute is the yellow or amber global antifreeze. Global coolant will not change the color of the stuff that is already in there...

Source: Tech 101 The Colors Of Antifreeze - Hemmings

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2008, coolant, e83, x3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search