Tailgate Opening Up Randomly - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)

X3 G01 (2018 - current)
The third generation X3 starts production in August of 2017 and will include the new X3 M40i top of the line performance model.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F48 X1, E36 M3, JGC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown9335 View Post
BMW employee here and I'm currently leasing a 2018 X4. I've had the car 3 weeks and my rear hatch has opened on it's own 11 times now. Mine opens because I carry the keys in my pocket. It opened once while in drive and stopped at a traffic light. I hadn't figured out that the driver door hatch switch will close it if you hold it up for a few seconds. I had to find a way off the road so I could stop, get out and close the hatch. It's getting annoying to go outside on my way to work and see the hatch open. I've also been shopping at the mall, came out and there it is, wide open. Fortunately nothing has been stolen yet but it's only a matter of time. Is anyone aware of a way to disable the key fob button for opening the hatch? I have no where else to carry my keys. I've checked the vehicle settings but found no way to isolate the rear hatch from the key fob button. VERY annoyed with this!
If you purchase the BMW key fob case, using it, you'll be able to prevent the buttons on the fob from being depressed while in your pocket. (This is based on my own experience.)
However, I think you'll find that the problem is not being caused (for the most part) due to the buttons on the fob being depressed. The issue is with the optical sensor - which BMW has acknowledged is hyper sensitive. I believe there is a fix for it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2018, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: X4
Thanks RidinDirty. I had read the service bulletin and I'm more convinced in my case that it's the button being unintentionally depressed while in my pocket rather than an over sensitive smart opener sensor. There's nothing behind my car in my driveway and possibly cars going by too close in a mall parking lot with me now where near shouldn't cause it to open. I suppose a key fob case is the answer to my issue. I've had Z4's, 230s, M240 and a 440 without having this issue. I think I will take it over to the performance center and let them change out the smart opener sensor since it costs me nothing other than time out of my day. As we say in the south; thanks y'all.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2018 X3 M40i
If you are referring to the hands free operation, the tail gate sensor only work if the fob is close by like less than 1-2 feet. I have verified that if you placed the fob in the rear passenger seat, and then go outside to wave your feet below the rear bumper, the tail gate won't open. So, in most cases, the tail gate open is because the fob was unintentionally depressed by an object. Now, I removed all my other keys to a different key chain and leave the fob alone, and put them in separate pockets. Since then, I never experience the problem again. Hope this will help.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Test drove the new X3 recently - as demonstrated by my sales manager, tail-gate sensor works only if key fob is within 3 feet of sensor.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i
This is driving me nuts! I walked out of Home Depot yesterday and the rear hatch was open with my briefcase (with my laptop inside) was sitting there for anyone to take. Then last night I went out to the garage and the hatch was open again. I had parked a couple inches to the right, the hatch would have hit the bar coming down from the garage door opener and would have likely damaged the car. I had the same issue on my 2014 Chevy SS and they reprogrammed the system so that you had to hold the button down for three seconds. However, when you had tighter fitting pants on, the three second delay did not work. A couple of times I came out to find my trunk open while it was pouring rain.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2018 X3 M40i
Try to remove everything attached to your key fob, and make sure no other object can pinch the key fob and you will be OK. I have been doing it for almost a year and never had the tailgate open again by itself:-)
Old 07-27-2018, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 X5 M-Sport
My husband no longer leaves the key in his pocket. That seemed to fix the problem for us.
2011 528i M-Sport
2012 E93 M-Sport convertible (totaled)
2008 328 1st BMW
Old 07-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
BMW fob cover
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: F48 X1, E36 M3, JGC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
BMW fob cover
In theory, a reasonable recommendation to make - but actually never addressed the problem for me. The BMW fob cover made no difference. BMW had no solution - other than to disable the functionality altogether.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3
Yeah, i have this problem too on my G01 X3. In fact I just dented the liftgate when it opened while in the garage and I opened the garage door without noticing it was open a few inches and pressed against the garage door. Then, the other day I went somewhere and when I walked out to the parking lot, the lift gate was fully open. I just ordered the below key fob cover to hopefully help. Both times it opened, the fob was in my pocket with other keys and stuff. I've also set off the alarm in my garage too so I'm pretty sure the buttons are just getting pressed. Hopefully this solves it.

BTW, if someone actually gets BMW to cover the repair of the lift gate, I'd love to know as that would be amazing. But I'm not terribly hopeful. Dented the lift gate and didn't even have 1000 miles on the car yet. Grr....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1VDOX1
Old 08-16-2018, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 X5 M-Sport
We were lucky as it only chipped the paint and no dents. Had it repaired and you would never know. My husband just bought a key fob cover from the dealer when we were in Denver.
2011 528i M-Sport
2012 E93 M-Sport convertible (totaled)
2008 328 1st BMW
Old 08-16-2018, 06:16 PM
Uber Olive Brain

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 x30i, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrise2 View Post
I just ordered the below key fob cover to hopefully help. Both times it opened, the fob was in my pocket with other keys and stuff. I've also set off the alarm in my garage too so I'm pretty sure the buttons are just getting pressed. Hopefully this solves it.

Hopefully, it will fix the problem for you, but note that the material is fairly thin and flexible. If your pockets are tight, I wouldn't expect it to help much. You can still squeeze the middle and open the hatch. It's better than nothing, though.

The BMW cover is a lot stiffer and prevents button presses better, but a good squeeze in the right place can still open the hatch. It's also very thick (like 1" thick).

(I have both, and ended up using the BMW one, even though it's almost absurdly thick.)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i
Count me in

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrise2 View Post
Yeah, i have this problem too on my G01 X3. In fact I just dented the liftgate when it opened while in the garage and I opened the garage door without noticing it was open a few inches and pressed against the garage door. Then, the other day I went somewhere and when I walked out to the parking lot, the lift gate was fully open. I just ordered the below key fob cover to hopefully help. Both times it opened, the fob was in my pocket with other keys and stuff. I've also set off the alarm in my garage too so I'm pretty sure the buttons are just getting pressed. Hopefully this solves it.

BTW, if someone actually gets BMW to cover the repair of the lift gate, I'd love to know as that would be amazing. But I'm not terribly hopeful. Dented the lift gate and didn't even have 1000 miles on the car yet. Grr....

I've been having the same problem finding the rear hatch open on occasion and just the other day while opening the garage door the hatch must have somehow opened during the previous evening. A small amount of paint scrape on the edge but no dents or dings. For this key fob controller what a piece if shiite design by the BMW engineers. We've had numerous minivans all with sliding doors and rear hatches and none of those no matter where the keys were placed ever inadvertently opened the doors.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:17 PM
My M...not Hers

Mein Auto: 19 X3M40i
Ordered the OEM today. Windows went down...alarm went off...enough is enough
Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 PM
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'

Mein Auto: '93 "Beemer" R100r
A key fob case never solved the problem for me; I ended up just disconnecting the module behind the rear bumper. Although, I read on this forum that this "feature" can be coded out.

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:11 PM
Extended Euro Delivery

Mein Auto: '18 X3
I take my keys out at work. This happened with my M4 and this X3

Old 05-22-2019, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: X-3
Once I got the key fob the problem permanently ceased.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X1 BSM MSport
Also a hassle while car washing

www.mikereidphotography.com

To stop the car, you use Brakes, not breaks
Old 06-28-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwheelsdriven View Post
Also a hassle while car washing
Mine even activates the Comfort Access option when hand washing by locking/unlocking the doors whenever a stream of water from the hose plays across the door handle(s).

Old 06-28-2019, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 X3 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
Mine even activates the Comfort Access option when hand washing by locking/unlocking the doors whenever a stream of water from the hose plays across the door handle(s).
That's normal across many brands, not just BMW.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
That's normal across many brands, not just BMW.
Might be, but it doesn't make it any more acceptable.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)
Today's Posts Search