ABS, DSC, BRAKE lights on & Speedometer not working. Help! - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-29-2016, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 323
Any idea what would happen if I plugged in the abs module but didn't have fluid going into it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 09:17 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci (5 speed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennancody0 View Post
Any idea what would happen if I plugged in the abs module but didn't have fluid going into it?

What are you trying to accomplish?
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 11-29-2016, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
What are you trying to accomplish?
I'm trying to get my speedo , and rev past 5500 Rpm with out re routing brake lines into the abs module. The module is currently out of the car and I am Wondering if I could get it out of limp mode with out running lines through the abs module

Old 06-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
Glad I found this old thread. I cleaned and swapped the rear sensors on my old 2006 X3 E83 and all the lights went out and the speedo works again.

Thanks for the clues!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexy27 View Post
Most common cause of these symptoms is a bad wheel speed sensor and I believe a dead speedo usually points to the left rear wheel's sensor. There is no relation to having just changed the fuel pump......simply a coincidence.
I know this post and thread are super old, but I wanted to thank you for this rather concise response. My 2009 135i just failed an inspection and my right rear wheel sensor was out (confirmed it with an Autel MX808 scanner). Well, the right rear ABS is not a reason to fail inspection, so I was a bit shocked when the dealer called me and told me that my speedo wasn't working (even tho it worked on way to the dealer) - and the malfunctioning speedo WAS the reason for the fail.

Well, I replaced my right rear wheel speed sensor with a $70 + Wells/Airtex sensor from Rock Auto (that turned out to be just a repackaged OE German ATE brand - which is another story). Installation went rather smoothly except for some fiddly connectors, and then drive the car only to realize that the ABS lights won't go off. I took the Autel out and cleared all the codes - but the ABS came back on (and the speedo was also still not working).

Well, I ran another scan with the Autel to find out that, damn, now my rear left ABS wheel speed sensor is ALSO out! Your post confirmed that this is most likely the reason for the speedo going out as well (fingers crossed as I have not replaced it, yet). So, the OE ATE part is on order from FCP Euro (this time, under $40 - love FCP Euro)... and should be here by Wed. Now that I've done the passenger side rear, the driver side rear should be substantially quicker.

Thanks again for this thread -- and, hopefully my addition might help someone else out as well.

Oh, and PS -- I live in Pittsburgh. As somebody that grew up as a fan of Lemieux and Jaeger (and to a lesser extent Barasso) -- we all HATED Hextall!

Last edited by Leipzig; 09-10-2019 at 11:40 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search