Dragged Home INOP 550i - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Rookiemistake

Mein Auto: 2002 540i
Your MT car looks like my AT car. But that building looks like it's an old Veterans Hospital in Phila.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 550i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemistake View Post
Your MT car looks like my AT car. But that building looks like it's an old Veterans Hospital in Phila.
My 550i 6MT has few interesting options for the 2007 year. The earlier 545i's and the pre-LCI 550i's came with the 6MT. AT was an option. My particular vehicle has the sport settings suspension (no ARS) it has conventional rack and pinion (no active steering). The staggered 18 inch wheels were also an option on this year 550i which the original owner ordered as well, as you can see (Style 124). This version is much lighter than the everage 550i, especially the later models that were loaded with all kinds of assistance features. My car, out of the box, feels really connected to the road. Oh and the place is an old, abandoned psychiatric hospital for (extremely insane) in my area. The vibe there is unreal!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiegoodie View Post
Oh and the place is an old, abandoned psychiatric hospital for (extremely insane) in my area. The vibe there is unreal!
St. Thomas?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCarr View Post
St. Thomas?
Yes, just outside of St. Thomas going toward Port Stanley.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Rookiemistake

ran it this morning. It kicked down, and I floored it. Then it was missing pretty bad and threw a P0301.

The old coil pack Ohm .3 The range is supposed to be be between .3 and 1.0

bought a new coil pack from
Advanced Auto.. $30.

BINGO.

Problem Solved with the shifting as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Rookiemistake

I took this picture the other day.

I still have a short list to check off, including the valve stem job, which I'm itching to do myself.
I added a QT of oil @900 miles. I'm not sure if it was totally filled in the beginning. The indicator in the IDRIVE is a little overkill for only 1 QT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017.17BMW550.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	839773  
Old 02-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Rookiemistake

I've been driving the AMG S550 6.3 this week, mostly on the turnpike. I have to admit, it is the nicest car I have ever driven. I am fortunate for seat time in a few upscale vehicles. To drive the S Class models in the fleet, (my favorite is the older S5.5 Kompressor V8) is a delightful experience. Seriously, the rumble, the acceleration, the handling, the ride, the feel and the comfort. I swear the SClass are the best cars money can buy.

With a high level of confidence, I took my 550i Sport on a turnpike cruise. PA - NJ Tpk is great pavement. Waze helps a little with the cops. Nice and smooth power and ride. The stance on this car doesn't change with acceleration or speed. It seems the rear and nose maintains it's wedge forward stance. My previous 540's felt like they sat down in the rear at high acceleration and speed. My modified IROC and my Vette both sit down with speed. I like the feel of the car sitting down a little.

Noted, I passed a mint Sapphire Black E60 M5 who was just tooling along, in the middle lane. That was a beauty.

I am not noticing smoke from the valve stems, the wheels and tires are in balance, it stays in alignment. The ride is solid over tar strips, rough pavement and potholes.

I'll keep driving it. It's under consideration to be my Cannonball ride to Florida in a couple weeks.

Last edited by Rookiemistake; 02-16-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I've been driving the AMG S550 6.3 this week, mostly on the turnpike. I have to admit, it is the nicest car I have ever driven. I am fortunate for seat time in a few upscale vehicles. To drive the S Class models in the fleet, (my favorite is the older S5.5 Kompressor V8) is a delightful experience. Seriously, the rumble, the acceleration, the handling, the ride, the feel and the comfort. I swear the SClass are the best cars money can buy.

With a high level of confidence, I took my 550i Sport on a turnpike cruise. PA - NJ Tpk is great pavement. Waze helps a little with the cops. Nice and smooth power and ride. The stance on this car doesn't change with acceleration or speed. It seems the rear and nose maintains it's wedge forward stance. My previous 540's felt like they sat down in the rear at high acceleration and speed. My modified IROC and my Vette both sit down with speed. I like the feel of the car sitting down a little.

Noted, I passed a mint Sapphire Black E60 M5 who was just tooling along, in the middle lane. That was a beauty.

I am not noticing smoke from the valve stems, the wheels and tires are in balance, it stays in alignment. The ride is solid over tar strips, rough pavement and potholes.

I'll keep driving it. It's under consideration to be my Cannonball ride to Florida in a couple weeks.
European, high end (high performance) vehicles, especially the German engineering, are autobahn machines made for driving with confidence at very high speeds. As unfortunate as it is, I live in an area where doing 50 km/h over the speed limit is a crime. Cops impound your car, suspend your license and the fines can reach $10,000. My 5er is loaded with anti this, anti that, scan tools, waze and jammer, if you get my drift. Still some risk involved but I just can't justify doing buck twenty in a 100 zone when buck eighty feels like a walk in the park.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:46 PM
Rookiemistake

DearBimmerfest Diary. I drove from Phila to Sandusky to Valpo IN 740 m il le. Burned 1/2 QT oil, and broke the Dynamic Stability Control on the right side. No noticeable noise or handling issues I zip tied using stainless. Going to drive back in the storm. Roadkill episode 76
Old 03-14-2019, 01:23 AM
Rookiemistake

I parked the 550 after the last drive. The storm of 2 weeks ago is forgotten by most. From Reading to Philly, the Turnpike was slush covered, and pretty slippery. The snow was piling up in Philly on Sunday night, the plows, salters etc were waiting till it ended. I knew I was going to pay for 2 wheel drive, summer tires on snow. For the last 10 miles, I didn't stop, not even for a red light AND with any approaching hills, I gunned it all the way up. I'm still not ready to drive it.

I am taking a break and searching parts.

looking for the dynamic drive front torsion AND and new cradle.
It will be nice to be fixed.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:34 AM
Rookiemistake

Update

I found an aluminum welder a couple miles from here. He fabbed up a couple new brackets on the engine cradle and welded them in place. I had to order a new bushing and housing for the passenger side front hydraulic torsion bar. tot cost $175.

I've driven it another 500 miles. IMHO, it has really smoothed out. The AC works well, no drama at high speed on the highway.

The N62 still needs the valve stem seals done, but I am going to drive it for awhile first.

Smokes a little after 3-4 minutes at stop lights.

for now enjoy and focus on my
Formula 271 which is now a project due to fiberglass and risers and manifolds.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:48 AM
Rookiemistake

Boat update. Sold the Formula! Next boat will be in Florida
Old 06-12-2019, 02:42 AM
Rookiemistake

Open thoughts. The E60 550 is my 3rd BMW. Previously bought new 1999 540i sport with the MT and a 2003 540i sport AT. My first one was awesome, but the E60 has really grown on me after 5k miles. At first I wasn't crazy about the body style. Now, I have developed an eye for E60's. The most common around here are the 535 xdrives. I have also noticed the rear taillights on (later model years?) had been upgraded to LED. I have also seen more than one BMW with the valve seal problem. In the meantime, I drive and enjoy. My trouble lights are the Dynamic Drive (comes and goes with temps) rear parking sensors and tire pressure. I have not been successful at coding my BOSCH battery. Another thought.. I had an 08 STS Caddy with a V8 and sport package and staggered wheels. The tires only lasted 20k, and rode like crap, so on the last new set, I installed 4 same size tires if I recall the back were 235 and the front were 245. The speed rating went from Z to W. The new tires were 255 all around. larger (higher) barely noticeable profile. The $$ price was significantly lower, and the wheel wells filled in nicely, the ride improved, and the tread was deeper, which gripped better. It also allowed for a 4 wheel rotation, given the offsets were 8 and 9'. Of course, I would like to do the same to the 550.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:28 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
So... tick of the trade for you guys..

for those of us that have staggered suspension (my 540 and 550, and my old 328, and e30)

dont buy direction tires anymore..

NON directional tires... allows you to move rims from left to right.. (since you can go front to back)

15486372<-----
Old 06-12-2019, 06:31 AM
Rookiemistake

falls into "you can learn something new everyday"

non directional tires.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:37 AM
Rookiemistake

shhhh! my Dynamic Stablity Control warning light has been off for about 500 miles.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i Six Speed
This is my 4th BMW. I have to 2010 550I M Sport. First was a 2003 540i M Sport MT. Loved driving that car, but what a nightmare for maintenance!! What a total piece of crap!!

MAJOR maint issues with that one... the next was a 545i MT... it was ok... still had to do quite a bit on it as well...

this 550i... rock solid... other than a cracked exp tank i havent done a single thing to it in 5 years... around 120k miles now.... love the way it rides and handles... much better than the 540i... and the Carbon Black color is awesome... other than not being able to stream Pandora I love everything about this car... nice thread you have here and good luck on your Bimmer!

Quote:
Open thoughts. The E60 550 is my 3rd BMW. Previously bought new 1999 540i sport with the MT and a 2003 540i sport AT. My first one was awesome, but the E60 has really grown on me after 5k miles. At first I wasn't crazy about the body style. Now, I have developed an eye for E60's. The most common around here are the 535 xdrives. I have also noticed the rear taillights on (later model years?) had been upgraded to LED. I have also seen more than one BMW with the valve seal problem. In the meantime, I drive and enjoy. My trouble lights are the Dynamic Drive (comes and goes with temps) rear parking sensors and tire pressure. I have not been successful at coding my BOSCH battery. Another thought.. I had an 08 STS Caddy with a V8 and sport package and staggered wheels. The tires only lasted 20k, and rode like crap, so on the last new set, I installed 4 same size tires if I recall the back were 235 and the front were 245. The speed rating went from Z to W. The new tires were 255 all around. larger (higher) barely noticeable profile. The $$ price was significantly lower, and the wheel wells filled in nicely, the ride improved, and the tread was deeper, which gripped better. It also allowed for a 4 wheel rotation, given the offsets were 8 and 9'. Of course, I would like to do the same to the 550.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search