BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Navigation updates for 2013 X1

Tags
navigation
8K views 33 replies 4 participants last post by  mybmwx1 
#1 ·
My 2013 X1 navigation version is
Road Map North America Premium 2013-1A

I saw many posts online but did not find a satisfactory answer for the following:
1. How do I know what is the latest version available?
2. Where do I download (or buy?) from? Is it worth?
3. Are CPOs supposed to get latest updates by default? Is it negotiable?

Appreciate your inputs!

#2 ·
I believe 2017-1 Maps are out as the latest.
You can pay for a dealership to upgrade, or a 3rd party, or DIY.

There are tons of threads on how to DIY, you'll need a laptop and a special cable.
Maps can be downloaded off bittorrent.
I think BimmerAmerica will also get you the latest maps. They have different options but
will do it for a fraction of the cost of a dealer.

Not sure if CPO's get map updates. I doubt it. :eeps:

#3 ·
Map updates don't really need anything special. I updated mine easily. Like Stone said, for DIY you will need a laptop and cable to do some *stuff*. For 3rd party, you don't need a cable but need a computer and know how to make USBs or DVDs, depending on your comfort level and an FSC code to update the maps to the latest version. I am not sure if CPO covers software and map updates unless there is something wrong with the car and not cosmetic. Is it worth it or not is something you'll have to decide. For me going from 2014 to 2017 was required where I live because of the many street updates and configurations included with newer versions. AFAIK, BMW doesn't publish any map update related info from version to version.

You can ask and receive information in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865209&page=73

#5 ·
Thanks stonex1 & Reclaimer. I wrote to Shaun as I saw everyone doing on the thread.
Do you have link to special cable required for DIY thing? I myself being an IT engineer love to do such stuff myself.

Can I trust the s/w available online?
You should have no problem then. :)
Here's a good site to get more info on the FSC code.
I have a post there near the end that shows the cable I bought.

#6 · (Edited)
I had a look at the coding site. To be honest I am plain scared of trying to code it myself. Does it not void the warranty?
Is there a simpler way of updating maps? for free :)
If I simply download from torrents website into a USB and follow steps. Will this not be sufficient? Is FSC code needed? Where to get that. Is this something similar to a software license that needs to be purchased?

#8 ·
The task can be daunting, but it's really not that bad.
Just a lot of reading at first.

Upgrading the NAV maps is not quite the same as coding.
Totally different process, so you are less likely to "brick" your car.

Getting the maps is fairly simple. Download the maps via torrent, copy to USB sticks
and upload via your glovebox USB port.
But once the update process begins, your idrive will prompt you for a code. This is normal.
And of course, this code will be unique to your VIN.

Getting the code is more tricky, but do-able.
You need to copy a special file off the car's file system.(which you access via Ethernet)
Then you use other software that you also download via torrent to decode the file that will
generate a code unique to your VIN.
Enter that code during the USB stick upload process and your golden.:thumbup:

#9 ·
@stonex1, I agree that process looks fairly simple once you get past the initial hurdle to convince yourself. I did spend some good 2 hours reading through all the posts. Tomorrow I am going to buy a USB Ethernet cable to try it out the steps mentioned in your "good site" :)
I hope it does not ask for ftp password which I was not able to find in any of the related posts.

I am wondering as to how some online vendors claim to get me the FSC code with just VIN number whereas I need to pull out some hexa file from onboard computer to generate it.

#10 ·
Glad to hear!
It's kinda fun to hack your car. :)

There is no FTP password, it's just an open FTP where you get read only access to the file system. The Operating System looks to be some kind of *nix.

IIRC, the online vendors have access to a special online BMW database of some kind where they can generate FSC codes themselves.
Perhaps only dealers, and special Indy shops have access, or they pay a fee for access. :dunno:

#12 ·
#14 ·
Can you give more detail on the cable you bought?
I've never seen a straight usb to Ethernet cable before without some kind of electronics in the middle.

I believe the ENET cables are more for F series BMW's.
However, if you want to code an E series BMW, you need an OBD to USB cable.

Anyway, for nav updates, and to generate an FSC Code...

You want something like this:

You then need a simple 5 foot Ethernet cable to complete the connection from the adapter to your computer.

The correct adapter is needed for your BMW computer to detect the usb/Ethernet device and allow your car to have an IP address.
The adapter above is the one I used that worked.

Attachments

#28 ·
The adapter is likely not detected by your car's Operating System.
Buy the one on amazon for $12 bucks... it will work.

The blinky LED lights is the first clue it will work.
Once you have the adapter plugged into the glovebox usb port, and an Ethernet cable connected from the adapter and then plugged into
your laptop's Ethernet port... you should see lights.
Or get the Windows 7 network system tray icon with a yellow marker.
The red marker is bad.

Once you have yellow, then you can configure IP addresses and so forth.
The correct adapter is the first step. :)

#29 ·
@stonex1 and @Reclaimer

I will buy a new adapter and try again very soon. Thanks for your help so far. You've kept my interest alive :)

As I could not get chipset details on Belkin adapter, I am now ordering Insignia NS-PU98505
https://insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-PU98505.html

This one is AX88772 based as described in product manual here:
https://insigniaproducts.com/cms/documents/qsg/NS-PU98505_NS-PU98505-C_QSG_EN.pdf

I hope this one works and I do everything right this time :)

#34 · (Edited)
So I tried the Belkin adapter today. It has AX88772 A chip. User manual here
http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/man_f4u047_8820-00931_reva00 usb 2.0 ethernet .pdf

Later I found out that package did not include the CD as mentioned online and it has inbuilt Realtek drivers that gets installed as you connect the device to PC. Even though the manual says it has AX88772 A chip, it comes with realtek drivers. It's a bit strange. Nevertheless, I tried to give it a shot.

1. I connected to glovebox, changed IP settings as suggested in previous posts.
2. I was able to see that my PC was able to communicate (i guess) as ethernet LEDs were blinking.
3. For a brief moment network displayed "Authenticating", and later it said "Authentication failed"

Another update:
With same setting I tried again... this time I got connected with "Unidentified network", but neither could I connect to ftp nor could ping any of the mentioned IPs.

#32 ·
Good stuff, glad to hear there are more adapters that will work. :thumbup:

Speaking of ENET cable, I believe you might be able to network your car to your laptop via the OBD port.
But you need an E-Sys cable that has OBD and Ethernet on either end of the cable.
These cables are specific to F-series cars, but I thought I read somewhere that you can use
this cable to network a computer to grab the 1B file.
I've never tried it though.
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.