How to tell if software is outdated? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x1
How to tell if software is outdated?

Greetings. Can anyone help me understand how to identify whether my onboard navigation and other software is outdated on 2014 x1? I use an ios10 phone. I assume that i need to check software versions via settings but i dont know how to interpret the data and what to compare it to. I am new to this and feeling a bit lost. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 12:59 PM
'02 Z3 3.0i

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0 & X1 sDrive28i
Stevis -

Google search for "BMW software update". You'll find a BMW website that has a place to enter the last 7 characters of your VIN to access the latest software for your car. I believe this software ONLY affects the iDrive (infotainment center) of your car. After entering a valid VIN the software will direct you to a site where you can download the latest version. In my case the file was named "UPD01008.bin" and was about 8MB in size. I downloaded that and chose the option on the car iDrive system to update the software. Put the downloaded file on a USB memory stick that is formatted using the "FAT" (stands for File Access Table) format. With the memory stick in place, select the option to update software - and IF (AND ONLY IF) it sees a suitable software update file on that memory stick it will attempt to update the software. Takes maybe a minute or less and shows a progress bar that goes to 100%. When done it will congratulate you and you're done. It will also provide an option to roll back to the prior version of software should you have any reason to do so. I think that option remains available indefinately - but I could be wrong about that.

I cannot recall the software version numbers, but mine did update to a slightly higher (newer?) software version. I cannot tell you that it made any difference, but it seems to have done no harm.

Your next big adventure might be to update the Navigation maps. That'll set you back a few bucks, but you can update the 2014 maps to 2017 maps for under $100 if you do it yourself. It requires purchase from a source that can provide a BMW VIN specific FSC code for your car. W/o that code you cannot update the maps. And be forewarned - you have to download huge files and use winrar to unzip them in preparation for the update. Then you have to put the proper set of files on each of four 8GB USB memory sticks and proceed with the install. Worst part is that they strongly suggest that you keep the car running the entire time the maps are updating. Took about 50 minutes on my car.

Good luck with your X1. I'm enjoying mine more than any car I've owned. If you haven't done it yet - try holding the unlock button down on your remote for more than 3-4 seconds and watch what happens on the car. Pretty cool if you live in a hot climate. You can rest your finger on the upward side of the driver's outside door handle for a few seconds to reverse the process.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk521 View Post
try holding the unlock button down on your remote for more than 3-4 seconds and watch what happens on the car. Pretty cool if you live in a hot climate.
LOL, I coded that option out.
Not cool, when you accidently hit the button in your coat pocket while it's raining.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
ios10, mobile, navigation, software

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search