11' 50i N63 Valves or turbos? Need some advice - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto:
11' 50i N63 Valves or turbos? Need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekken24/7 View Post
Where did you find the upgraded cross over pipe? Definitely worth a swap. I plan to do some heat wrapping when I have to go in there

Stock pipe - just replaced the y junction with stainless off amazon - will try n find link

Edit: Food Grade, 303 Stainless steel,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078RP35K...p_mob_ap_share

3 stainless clamps as well is all you will need

N63 E70 X5 2012

Last edited by B4_685; 06-14-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5 4.8 L
reaction

It seems to me that a mechanic who knows X5 BMWs could give you a more accurate diagnosis. Your guy has named everything it most likely could be. My first suggestion is to check another mechanic.

You say you see smoke both under the hood and coming out of the exhaust. Obviously, smoke coming out of the exhaust had to come from the combustion chamber. That could come from oil leaking through the valve seals or the pistons or from oil leaking from the oil cooled turbos into the air intake. Smoke under the hood suggests an oil leak not associated with combustion touching something hot enough to smoke. Since you have both, it sounds like a leak associated with the oil cooling system on the turbos.

Hopefully, it is only a hose.

The valve stems are not a major problem as long as you keep the oil level up. You could easily burn up turbo bearings if the oil cooling system is leaking.

Good luck
Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi SDN, 335iCPE, X5
Sounds like the current BMW campaign for the VCS! I'd suggest taking the vehicle to BMW for inspection & diagnosis and not an independent repair shop. BMW is covering vehicles provided the current owner has owned the vehicle for the past 6 months. You might still go through hoops depending on the dealership but it's definitely worth it. The job is about $8k!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 09:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwilsonct2 View Post
BMW is covering vehicles provided the current owner has owned the vehicle for the past 6 months. Y
do tell.

what is this vcs campaign and what are the BMW rules about how long you need to own it before they pay for it.... a link would be most helpful

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

Last edited by ard; 06-20-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x5 v8 M adapative
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Horn View Post
It seems to me that a mechanic who knows X5 BMWs could give you a more accurate diagnosis. Your guy has named everything it most likely could be. My first suggestion is to check another mechanic.

You say you see smoke both under the hood and coming out of the exhaust. Obviously, smoke coming out of the exhaust had to come from the combustion chamber. That could come from oil leaking through the valve seals or the pistons or from oil leaking from the oil cooled turbos into the air intake. Smoke under the hood suggests an oil leak not associated with combustion touching something hot enough to smoke. Since you have both, it sounds like a leak associated with the oil cooling system on the turbos.

Hopefully, it is only a hose.

The valve stems are not a major problem as long as you keep the oil level up. You could easily burn up turbo bearings if the oil cooling system is leaking.

Good luck
I would disagree with the statement that the valve stems are not a major problem if you keep your oil level high. If the seals are done they're done and oil will pass out the exhaust as blue smoke.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:49 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I think he is saying that burning oil isnt a risk as long as you dont let the oil level run too low.

Not that keeping the oil level high will change valve stem smoking...

I think

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search