Quick LCI Test Drive Today - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:00 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
Quick LCI Test Drive Today

I decided to stop by my Rockville BMW dealer to check and see if they had any 2014 F10's yet. I saw my very nice sales person (Maritza) and she found a couple to look at, in their upstairs garage. One was an M5 (out of my league!), the other was an Alpine White/Venetian Beige 535i Luxury Line, the trim level I'd be looking at.

As we know, the extierior changes are not very noticeable, but the updated 19" wheels looked nice, and the chrome accents on the front and rear bumpers looked better than I had imagined. The standard xenon light cluster looked pretty good, there is an amber-lit strip leading horizontally from the outside headlamp to the edge of the cluster, along with the upper lit highlight. As for the interior, the "exclusive stitched" version of the Venetian Beige seats looked nice enough, not a whole lot different. The chrome strips around the iDrive screen were fine, they didn't look too "blingy", IMO. She said why not take it for a quick spin. Honestly, I was interested to see if it felt any different from my current early-build 2011 535i. So, why not??

So how did it feel? She said the car was fully prepped for delivery, so I assume the wheel alignment was correct. There was no pulling, but the steering felt just a tad different from my 2011 version, whether in Comfort or Sport mode. It felt ever so slightly lighter at speed, with slightly less of a "return to center" feel. It's nothing I wouldn't get used to, but I guess I was a little surprised. I'd have to drive another one to see if it was just something about that particular car. Also, I didn't do a lot of comparing between Comfort and Sport modes to see if this changed at all. OK, now that I think about this, this was an XDrive model, so I guess it had hydraulic steering. My car is not XDrive, nor have I driven one, so this may be a characteristic held over from before. One thing I tried purposely about 3 times, was to reproduce the "drop to first" issue with the transmission that many of us have noticed. It seems to me they have improved or eliminated this issue. I rolled to an "almost stop" several times and then accelerated. It seemed the trans was already in 1st gear at that point and didn't jerk back into 1st. Again, I'd have to try it further, but my initial impression is, they have fixed this. Otherwise, no surprises, it drove pretty much the same as mine.

I briefly looked at iDrive, the screens seem a bit different, they kind of do a "sweep" into view, rather than just appear, when transitioning between screens. The larger iDrive knob was fine, and didn't feel any "cheaper" than the older version, as I think someone had opined in another thread. The Nav screen looked somehow clearer, sharper, but again, this was just a quick drive and I didn't study the screens.

I was most interested in seeing the Mocha Nappa interior, which they did not have. I'm sure it will be a pretty common choice, whether a customer order or a stock vehicle, so she's going to keep her eye out for one so I can go by and see it in person. Also, I'm interested in Azurite Black (Individual), and they do have an ordered Azurite F10 coming in in a few weeks -- hopefully I'll have a chance to take a quick in-person look at the color before the buyer snatches it up.

Anyway, all in all, the F10 looks like it continues to be a fine choice.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: F10 528i xDrive
Although many materials written by BMW state that the xDrive models have hydraulic steering, I have yet to find one that has it. I work for a dealership and spent one day popping every hood on the lot trying to find an xDrive 5 series with hydraulic steering and there wasn't one to be found. Glad to hear you liked the drive and style of the LCI!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 17 X5 xDrive35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNNGNS View Post
Although many materials written by BMW state that the xDrive models have hydraulic steering, I have yet to find one that has it. I work for a dealership and spent one day popping every hood on the lot trying to find an xDrive 5 series with hydraulic steering and there wasn't one to be found. Glad to hear you liked the drive and style of the LCI!
Can you check to see what suspension do the 2014 535's M Sport come with and see if there is any difference between Xdrive and rwd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 AM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S SportDsgn
Your comments on the very similar drive to yours are making me feel that the LCI M Sport with "Base" suspension might not drive better than the 2013 on M Sport suspension after all. Just guessing, but I admit I've lowered my expectations quite a bit since we got our new "revelations" concerning the suspension.

I do like the strips by the iDrive screen in pics (they're aluminum style btw), and I'm thinking that some of the things you mentioned, like crisper iDrive display with more fluid motions along with no drop to first were things that were implemented in the 2013 models. Mine doesn't do any drop to first (I know that feeling well, my Benzes used to do it hard) and when I drove a 6 Gran Coupe with the "older" iDrive recently I (and Alan who also drove the same one before I did) noticed a less crisp display with slower processing speeds.

Good review and thanks.
'15 Porsche Macan S SportDesign | White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Tints.

'15 Mazda 3 i Sport.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Prem/Tech/Sport Auto/etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport", '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 08-11-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron23 View Post
Can you check to see what suspension do the 2014 535's M Sport come with and see if there is any difference between Xdrive and rwd.
I have searched high and low to find something that refers to the suspension. Unlike the 2013, there isn't any notation that you get a different suspension on any F10. Both the ordering guide and the pricing guide show nothing other than DHP. The only possibility is that one item listed as included in the M Sport Line is an item listed as 337 M Sport Package. I cannot find anything that describes what M Sport Package includes. At this point that would be the only hope of a different suspension, but I find it highly unlikely.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M235i
The F10 configurators on European BMW sites probably work differently than the US one, but here is how it's arranged here:

- you can pick Packages and/or Options
- some Options are included in Packages, some not
- the suspension option is NOT a part of the M-sport Package.

However:
- the choice of various suspension options differs between xDrive and RWD in that the passive M-sport suspension (option 704 - no DDC/DHC) is only available for the latter
- even with the M-sport package, one can pick the standard suspension (option 225 - neither the stiffer/lower M-sport, nor Active)
RWD true bimmer: 2015 M235i 8AT fully loaded, with LSD

Last edited by MoldCAD; 08-11-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNNGNS View Post
I have searched high and low to find something that refers to the suspension. Unlike the 2013, there isn't any notation that you get a different suspension on any F10. Both the ordering guide and the pricing guide show nothing other than DHP. The only possibility is that one item listed as included in the M Sport Line is an item listed as 337 M Sport Package. I cannot find anything that describes what M Sport Package includes. At this point that would be the only hope of a different suspension, but I find it highly unlikely.
Right, the only thing we've seen is the ordering guide and retail pricing guide comment under ZDH that it "will delete 704 when ordered with ZMP".
Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM

Quick LCI Test Drive Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator_Bimmer View Post
Right, the only thing we've seen is the ordering guide and retail pricing guide comment under ZDH that it "will delete 704 when ordered with ZMP".
My thought is that was accidentally carried over from the 2013 ordering guide.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search