*BREAKING* NBA Bans LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling FOR LIFE! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:55 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Thumbs up *BREAKING* NBA Bans LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling FOR LIFE!

Excellent move by newly appointed NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...#axzz30IjFk8xB

Quote:
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has wrapped a news conference in which he announced the NBA's punishment of Donald Sterling for controversial comments Sterling allegedly made about blacks. The Clippers owner was banned for life and fined $2.5 million.

Silver also said he would urge NBA owners and the board of governors to force Sterling to sell the team.

"I am banning Mr. Sterling for life from any association with the Clippers organization or the NBA," Silver said.

Most had expected a large fine and suspension to be handed to Sterling after he allegedly made controversial remarks about blacks that created widespread outrage.

The NBA's bylaws allow for owners to be expelled from the league, though that power is reserved for limited circumstances, such as the inability to operate financially, gambling on league games or fixing games.

The more likely route, which Silver took, lay within Article 35 of the NBA Constitution, which allows the commissioner to indefinitely suspend owners for "conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the association."

All of this has happened with the team preparing for Tuesday night's Game 5 of its best-of-seven playoff series against Golden State; the series is tied, 2-2.
JUSTICE SERVED!!!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 50i
This not the type of "justice" he deserved. Like it or not, We do have Freedom of speech and he is entitled to his.

Where's the consequences for Larry Johnson's racist rant?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Jeep GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
This not the type of "justice" he deserved. Like it or not, We do have Freedom of speech and he is entitled to his.

He will not be prosecuted by the Government. But words have consequences.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: e89 Z4, e46 330Ci vert
This is a bit fuzzy.

They ban him from the clippers organization but they have to ask that he is being forced to sell the team. Yes I know that can technically work like a silent investor who never shows up to board meetings but it is a bit ridiculous.

Not to mention it is no question he will sue about this detail at least.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh1850 View Post
He will not be prosecuted by the Government. But words have consequences.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
THIS.

And even though he will also get a very nice return from his investment for the Clippers, being 'forced out of anything' will sting for a long time to wealthy old fogies like Sterling.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but this all is about the words said during a private conversation, the recording of which somehow got into the media?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but this all is about the words said during a private conversation, the recording of which somehow got into the media?
Yep. Sure was. And unfortunately for him, being part of the NBA which like ANY organization, has bylaws that he violated. But even if he didn't, he is NOT bigger than the NBA.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Yep. Sure was. And unfortunately for him, being part of the NBA which like ANY organization, has bylaws that he violated. But even if he didn't, he is NOT bigger than the NBA.
These bylaws govern private thoughts and conversations?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:21 PM
BMW Free!!

Mein Auto: 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550I. XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
These bylaws govern private thoughts and conversations?
Here's a good basis for their action;
http://www.celticslife.com/2014/04/w...-sterling.html
Quote:
Under the provisions of the bylaws, Silver has two sets of powers that he may use. Under either, he can issue a lifetime suspension and a substantial fine. Under Paragraph 24(l) of the constitution that was adopted by the NBA owners on Oct. 26, 2005, he can issue a fine of up to $2.5 million, can suspend an owner indefinitely and can order the forfeiture of draft picks. This provision applies to situations that are not covered by specific rules within the constitution. In another provision, Paragraph 35(A)(c), Silver can issue an indefinite suspension and a fine of $1 million to any owner who "makes ... a statement having or designed to have an effect prejudicial or detrimental to the best interests of basketball." If Silver wants to hammer Sterling, he can assert that Sterling's statements are so egregious that they go beyond the misconduct contemplated in Paragraph 35 and allow Silver to assess the greater penalties found in Paragraph 24. Sterling can argue that he merely made a statement, but the statement at a minimum allows a lifetime suspension and a $1 million fine.
Yes, it was said in private but it is now public and consequently detrimental to the association.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 Z4 35i- Estoril Blue
Sterling got what was coming to him. His treatment of the women in his life isn't stellar either. Let's count the red flags:

1) the recording was made by his disgruntled "girlfriend", who sounds like a total w h o r e
2) who goaded him into making hugely racist comments and recording it to have something to hold over his head
3) after she had been sleeping around with others and bringing them to NBA games in his box
4) she was being sued by Sterling's wife and was so pissed off she wanted to strike back

I wonder if the w h o r e / girlfriend ever approached him with an offer to make that tape disappear? If so, he might have been better off had he paid her off, but with this rouge's gallery of scumbags, she would probably take the money and release it anyway.

Sterling's reputation wasn't exactly golden before this, but being involved with him now is pretty much a cross between a flesh eating virus, cancer and AIDS.

Proof that sometimes you reap what you sow.

ED July 2016 - Redelivered September 2016
35i Estoril Blue / Beige Kansas Leather, M Sport, Premium Sound
CWP, Technology Package, PDC
Old 04-29-2014, 03:52 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post

Yes, it was said in private but it is now public and consequently detrimental to the association.
Thank you!

Bimmer App on HTC-One
Old 04-29-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2017 Subaru STi
Is he also banned from the Fest?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
Is he also banned from the Fest?
No. We sent him a PM pointing to the TOU. If he ignores the PM, we will give him a warning of 2 points expiring 10 days after.

We are very forgiving.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:15 PM

Irrelevant to the story and characters, how long before every phone, and even in person conversation will be starting with some kind of a legal disclaimer?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post

While I do not agree with the punishment, freedom of speech is about the government punishing people for speaking. This is unrelated to freedom of speech. But it is an over-the-top reaction to comments the man made in private to a "girlfriend."
Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:

And this is why the NBA did it. They didn't ban him because they think he's an ogre but because they wanted to protect their brand and actually protect their team values. Had they let the court of public opinion weigh in, then this could have hurt every team. If the ticket sales and product sales of the Clippers went from X dollars to X dollar -95% then the Clippers as an organization would have been in trouble financially and difficult to sell. That would damage all the owners' teams. When cruddy teams go for half a billion dollars, you can bet his will go for more than that.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Excellent move by newly appointed NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...#axzz30IjFk8xB

JUSTICE SERVED!!!

Don't know why something like this is reason to celebrate.

There are no winners.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Quote:

I guess crime does pay after all then doesn't it. He was set up and the NBA over reacted.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:31 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: e89 Z4, e46 330Ci vert
An organization can fire people from its mids when they say things that embarrass the organization in public.

The better question is whether it was legal to make this recording and whether it would be allowed as evidence if this goes to a normal court.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
1. What he said was obviously wrong

2. You are full of sh!t if you are sitting there claiming you have never made derogatory remarks either out of ignorance or out of anger within your privacy your entire life

3. It was a set up

4. How is a hidden phone conversation recording even legally admissible in court

5. Punishment was way...way...way over the top and an overreaction to the n-th level
Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
The better question is whether it was legal to make this recording and whether it would be allowed as evidence if this goes to a normal court.
So I've started reading about it and apparently there are laws in CA about recording conversations w/o consent, etc.

I really hope it's not the end of the story, because this sh#t with leaking private conversations and media exploiting them to the max got really out of hand.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 AM
BMW Free!!

Mein Auto: 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA View Post

Don't know why something like this is reason to celebrate.

There are no winners.
Wrong. Equality was the winner!

And now I hear a gay billionaire may buy the team!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
1. What he said was obviously wrong

2. You are full of sh!t if you are sitting there claiming you have never made derogatory remarks either out of ignorance or out of anger within your privacy your entire life

3. It was a set up

4. How is a hidden phone conversation recording even legally admissible in court

5. Punishment was way...way...way over the top and an overreaction to the n-th level
I think California is a dual party consent state vis a vis recording conversations. What he said was despicable, but the recording may have been illegally obtained if his consent was not provided to the person recording the conversation.

Reading up on this guy it is clear that he has a racist history and that most people that did business with him or associated with him knew that about him. I find it weird how Hollywood and LA always accept these people until they're outed then they get all worked up and storm the castle with the torches. It is like Hollywood's pedophilia problem. It is well known among the insiders, but they keep it quiet...I wonder why Hollywood doesn't expose these people sooner when they see and hear this stuff?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330soon2b View Post
I think California is a dual party consent state vis a vis recording conversations. What he said was despicable, but the recording may have been illegally obtained if his consent was not provided to the person recording the conversation.
The legality of the recording is an afterthought. He has been convicted and sentenced by public opinion, in the best interest of the NBA. We all agree he is a shlthead, so now they're getting rid of him.

Honestly, I see a lot of PR posturing here - Ignore it until you can't, then come out hard against it. Lifetime to him isn't what it would be to, say, Marc Cuban, but it sure sounds big! etc...

Iím usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search