“ABS Brake” on dash 4x4 light as well - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 2.5i
“ABS Brake” on dash 4x4 light as well

Hey! I’ve noticed when pulling off from stop sign, lights, etc. if my wheels skid or jump upon acceleration the car will beep and the “ABS Brake” comes on the dash with “ABS” in orange and “Brake” in red and the “4x4” in orange.

Recently had brake pads replaced and an alignment done with my new tires... after that repair (done by dealership btw) my car began making strange sound... took her back to dealer and all of a sudden we have 5000$ more in damages somehow the first diagnostic didn’t find... a total brake system repair included.. husbands mechanically inclined friend tightened a loose screw near the brake pads and the sound is no longer but what does that ABS Brake light mean? I live in the mountains of CT and deff have to address this before winter

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 16 X1 M-Sport
Sounds like the dealer messed something up. Take it back and make them fix it. DO NOT let them replace anything else they say will fix the problem. Sounds like they are soaking you for money. Not sure what a "total brake system repair" means. Could be anything. Maybe the light is a jacked up ABS sensor/wire? Make them fix/replace it. That part is like $100 I think.

By loose screw, I think you might mean a loose caliper mounting bolt? I'd be bitching up a storm at the service manager if so. Could also be time to get a regional rep involved.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3
I had the same issue with the lights on the dash in my '05 X3. It turned out that a gear in the transfer case actuator motor was stripped so whenever I would accelerate or brake too quickly, go over speed bumps, or went off road the three lights would come on and the car would go into RWD and turn off stability control and traction control. My mechanic wanted about $800-$1000 to replace the whole actuator motor but I found a replacement for the stripped gear on Amazon for $12 and, with the help of my neighbor, replaced it in about an hour. After that the car drove like new and I haven't had any problems with the xdrive since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2017, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3
Here are some additional resources that may be helpful:

BMW E53 X5 E83 X3 Transfer Case Motor Gear Carbon Fiber Reinforced Nylon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2TD5IQ..._YeRZzbBGN531V
Old 09-29-2017, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 16 X1 M-Sport
if it is the gear, you can just rotate it manually 180 degrees and carry on. Easier than pulling the motor apart, but you do have to pull it off the car. I did mine that way 60k ago.

You should hear a strange clicking noise from under the car when shutting the engine off if it's the gear.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
if it is the gear, you can just rotate it manually 180 degrees and carry on. Easier than pulling the motor apart, but you do have to pull it off the car. I did mine that way 60k ago.

You should hear a strange clicking noise from under the car when shutting the engine off if it's the gear.

Awesome info thank you! Yes I hear the clicking when I turn the engine off. Thankfully I have a few mechanically inclined friends I’ll ask any of them if they could help me out.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:50 PM

Thanks ya’ll! Deff seems to be the gear issue! Is this dangerous to drive around with ? Nothing extensive to and from work mainly.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 09-29-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehccvX3 View Post
I had the same issue with the lights on the dash in my '05 X3. It turned out that a gear in the transfer case actuator motor was stripped so whenever I would accelerate or brake too quickly, go over speed bumps, or went off road the three lights would come on and the car would go into RWD and turn off stability control and traction control. My mechanic wanted about $800-$1000 to replace the whole actuator motor but I found a replacement for the stripped gear on Amazon for $12 and, with the help of my neighbor, replaced it in about an hour. After that the car drove like new and I haven't had any problems with the xdrive since.

Wow you were much better off! I’ll search amazon for my fit thanks

Old 09-29-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Sounds like the dealer messed something up. Take it back and make them fix it. DO NOT let them replace anything else they say will fix the problem. Sounds like they are soaking you for money. Not sure what a "total brake system repair" means. Could be anything. Maybe the light is a jacked up ABS sensor/wire? Make them fix/replace it. That part is like $100 I think.

By loose screw, I think you might mean a loose caliper mounting bolt? I'd be bitching up a storm at the service manager if so. Could also be time to get a regional rep involved.

I definitely agree! This was all done in March 2017 and then again in May 2017. Think it’s too late to address it now, I’ll have to eat my loss. But lesson learned I won’t go back to them and I gave my shady review. How the diagnostics test missed all these issues the first time around was a big red flag for me and yes I believe it was the mounting bolt! It was making a nastyyyy sound!

Old 09-29-2017, 08:00 PM

Just off topic but anyone have an idea of where to buy a replacement window online? Or should I go to safelite? Car got vandalized at work yesterday someone shot my rear, right passenger “quarter window” I believe it’s called. I’ll include some pics. I can’t win lately. But this is the result of a hater when you upgrade to a BMW and get a promotion at work I will fix it this weekend!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
That window is relatively cheap from BMW. I think you want part #4 in the diagram. The price listed may not be current.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_5130

BMW CCA member

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search