The NEWEST official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 302 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-10-2017, 06:49 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
The current 1-Series is not available in the U.S. We only get the 2-Series and above.

The Haldex AWD on the Golf R is properly awesome.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
Dio, thank you, but the guys here know that I am a BMW pursuit. I already have a 2005 e46 M3 ZCP garage queen (Cookie just hit 25k miles this summer) will likely never own anything newer than Cookie....it just seems newer BMWs are just too dang heavy, not tossable, and have too many electric gadgets. I would rather get a 'shoe M3 than an M2 (I absolutely hate this stupid new naming system). But, the biggest reason is that I need a hatch, along with 4 doors, hence why I have an aging 325it Sport Manual and considering an AMG, Golf R and X1. The Golf is a Haldex AWD, and can transfer 100% of the power to the rear wheels when need be....and trust me, that sucker was planted like superglue during my test drive.

Karl, it was so telling, driving the X1....I felt uncomfortable pushing speed thru a circular off ramp in the X1...and when driving the Golf, all I wanted to do was to throw more speed into the twisties...but I figured it wouldn't bode well if I wrecked the R before I even bought it. Most of our backroads are still pretty icy and snow covered due to last night's storm.

Now, if I could only find a way to put a Haldex AWD system and Stage 1 turbo into the GTI Autobahn (which has a sunroof) or find a way to add, risk free, an aftermarket sunroof to the R, I would be a happy gal. EDIT: Even the US Autobahn version doesn't have a sunroof. Looks like my Vitamin D will have to come from driving Funny. I just wish I she has an M3 engine in it. Stupid Cookie, she's ruined me for most other cars!

Before I let Snowy go, I will have to post some of the pictures I found of Dino, his brother, and me rebuilding Snowy after the accident..they are pretty funny (well, maybe not to Dino, who volunteered to crawl under the car to help level the bumper!)

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"

Last edited by TechieTechie; 12-10-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
hiya jen!!

how ya been?? sorry to hear about the family issues. as for the issues with snowey, it is the plight of many older cars regardless of make.

i do like the golf, though.

best of luck with the sale. am struggling with the idea of purging the stable myself. mrs df wants me to get a truck, a 4 door auto truck, because "you never know when we may need to go buy a couch".....

meh,....if i do it'll most likely be a ford product. but still not feelin it....

df
Old 12-10-2017, 08:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Dio, thank you, but the guys here know that I am a BMW pursuit. I already have a 2005 e46 M3 ZCP garage queen (Cookie just hit 25k miles this summer) will likely never own anything newer than Cookie....it just seems newer BMWs are just too dang heavy, not tossable, and have too many electric gadgets. I would rather get a 'shoe M3 than an M2 (I absolutely hate this stupid new naming system). But, the biggest reason is that I need a hatch, along with 4 doors, hence why I have an aging 325it Sport Manual and considering an AMG, Golf R and X1. The Golf is a Haldex AWD, and can transfer 100% of the power to the rear wheels when need be....and trust me, that sucker was planted like superglue during my test drive.

Karl, it was so telling, driving the X1....I felt uncomfortable pushing speed thru a circular off ramp in the X1...and when driving the Golf, all I wanted to do was to throw more speed into the twisties...but I figured it wouldn't bode well if I wrecked the R before I even bought it. Most of our backroads are still pretty icy and snow covered due to last night's storm.

Now, if I could only find a way to put a Haldex AWD system and Stage 1 turbo into the GTI Autobahn (which has a sunroof) or find a way to add, risk free, an aftermarket sunroof to the R, I would be a happy gal. EDIT: Even the US Autobahn version doesn't have a sunroof. Looks like my Vitamin D will have to come from driving Funny. I just wish I she has an M3 engine in it. Stupid Cookie, she's ruined me for most other cars!

Before I let Snowy go, I will have to post some of the pictures I found of Dino, his brother, and me rebuilding Snowy after the accident..they are pretty funny (well, maybe not to Dino, who volunteered to crawl under the car to help level the bumper!)
Hey Jen! Sorry to hear about your Mom. Tough duty when the roles reverse and we have start taking car of them.

I know two people that have Golf R's. Both love them! Hard to go wrong with that choice and they're very detuned off the show room floor. 400 plus HP is readily achievable without a lot of expense. Seems VW aimed to design a 4 door sports rocket that could be pressed into family hauler duty if needed. The X1 is a soccer mom grocery getter and not much more, which I think is how BMW designed it unfortunately. Another hot hatch you might want to check out is the Ford Focus RS. 7 or 8 people locally have one and have been very happy with it. It's handling and performance are similar to the Golf R. I've driven one on a skid pad and with the performance set to "drift" mode it's also an ear to ear grinner.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
I don't know if you are looking at new cars or not but maybe doing a European Delivery would be worth it.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
So I was winterizing and doing some maintenance on my Miata today. I swapped to winter tires, put the hardtop on, changed the oil/filter, changed the fuel filter, put new spark plug wires on, and I was finishing up with a diff fluid change when I got this nice surprise . The black stuff on the paper towel are metal shaving and there was a little hunk of metal stuck to the drain plug. The diff fluid was only 30k old. The diff is still working for now, but it looks like I am going to need a new one soon. I am really starting to miss how over built the e36 drive train is. With the Miata everything feels like it is engineered for 113 HP and not one HP more. It is just so fragile. When I replace the diff I think I am either going to put the 1.8L LSD in or figure out how to shove a Ford Explorer LSD (I think it is from a Ford Explorer) in like in the V8 Miatas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171211_155603.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	730393   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171211_155627.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	730401  

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark11235 View Post
So I was winterizing and doing some maintenance on my Miata today. I swapped to winter tires, put the hardtop on, changed the oil/filter, changed the fuel filter, put new spark plug wires on, and I was finishing up with a diff fluid change when I got this nice surprise . The black stuff on the paper towel are metal shaving and there was a little hunk of metal stuck to the drain plug. The diff fluid was only 30k old. The diff is still working for now, but it looks like I am going to need a new one soon. I am really starting to miss how over built the e36 drive train is. With the Miata everything feels like it is engineered for 113 HP and not one HP more. It is just so fragile. When I replace the diff I think I am either going to put the 1.8L LSD in or figure out how to shove a Ford Explorer LSD (I think it is from a Ford Explorer) in like in the V8 Miatas.
Speaking of LSD's, I am heading down to Atlanta for the holidays and I was searching the local CL for e36 parts and found this:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/p...419362412.html

Would you pay $150 for a 25% LSD with 250k on it? It is an auto LSD which should bolt up to my auto 323is. How clapped out would it be at that milage?
Old 12-11-2017, 06:31 PM

^Considering your car is an autotragic, I would not invest in to a LSD geared for the autotragic tranny. With 170 HP and an auto a LSD is not going to give you much. Plus if you swap a real tranny into it the LSD is going to be geared wrong so you will have to replace it anyway. At 250k I don't think that diff has much limited slip left in it, so I would be rebuilding it before installation. If you are going to put that much effort into a diff it should be the diff that is going to stay on the car for life.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 12-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
^Considering your car is an autotragic, I would not invest in to a LSD geared for the autotragic tranny. With 170 HP and an auto a LSD is not going to give you much. Plus if you swap a real tranny into it the LSD is going to be geared wrong so you will have to replace it anyway. At 250k I don't think that diff has much limited slip left in it, so I would be rebuilding it before installation. If you are going to put that much effort into a diff it should be the diff that is going to stay on the car for life.
How would you recommend packing two seats for shipping? Considering these seats are 70lb a pop.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:50 PM

^I would probably cut up some cardboard and cover the import bits and frame rails of the seats. Then wrap each seat in shipping saran wrap to ship them individually. There normally is a big charge for shipping anything over 75 pounds, so that should avoid the overweight charge. I think Greyhound would probably be the cheapest option. If that does not work, you could ship them fright in a big box or on a pallet. Just flip one seat over and lay it on the other seat. Then put them in a big box or strap them to a pallet wrapped in saran wrap.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
^I would probably cut up some cardboard and cover the import bits and frame rails of the seats. Then wrap each seat in shipping saran wrap to ship them individually. There normally is a big charge for shipping anything over 75 pounds, so that should avoid the overweight charge. I think Greyhound would probably be the cheapest option. If that does not work, you could ship them fright in a big box or on a pallet. Just flip one seat over and lay it on the other seat. Then put them in a big box or strap them to a pallet wrapped in saran wrap.
If I do end up buying these seats I doubt they will fit in my car to go home. I wonder if I could remove the heavy electric motors to save on the shipping weight?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
If I do end up buying these seats I doubt they will fit in my car to go home. I wonder if I could remove the heavy electric motors to save on the shipping weight?
When I bought my e46 M3 seats I used my e36 to drive them home. I just removed the passenger seat and both front seats fit in passenger seat area. I also got the rear seats and door panels to fit in the same trip.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
When I bought my e46 M3 seats I used my e36 to drive them home. I just removed the passenger seat and both front seats fit in passenger seat area. I also got the rear seats and door panels to fit in the same trip.
Good to know, I will give that a shot. Anyone know how easy is it to rip out power and heated seat wiring and install it in another E36?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:24 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
I agree with all of this. My manual transmission 328 barely has enough power to make any use of an LSD on a race track under wide open throttle. An LSD in an automatic 323 is a total waste of time and effort. There simply isn't enough power available to warrant an LSD in that car. Trust me, all it will do is make your wallet lighter. The car won't feel any different.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 12-11-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Good to know, I will give that a shot. Anyone know how easy is it to rip out power and heated seat wiring and install it in another E36?
Power can easily be run off the cigarette lighter. Here is a DIY for putting in heated seats https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...t-Step-by-Step. Looks like a bit of a nightmare to me. My car came with non-power heated seats so I only had to retrofit power with is easy.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Power can easily be run off the cigarette lighter. Here is a DIY for putting in heated seats https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...t-Step-by-Step. Looks like a bit of a nightmare to me. My car came with non-power heated seats so I only had to retrofit power with is easy.

The guy sent mea bunch of pictures and I bought the seats with paypal. I am very excited since the rest of my car is in amazing condition minus the seats and the passenger side door card buckets.

As much as I would like the wire everything up OEM I think I am just going to make a high quality power harness.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e36, e46 & e70
Decided I'm going to keep the e36. Going to put stock s50 exhaust on it with an electric cut out. This way little man can ride in it etc

Jesse
///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (S/C'd 95 m3 swap)
2015 F15 X5(Wifes)
2007 328i DD
Old 12-13-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R View Post
Decided I'm going to keep the e36. Going to put stock s50 exhaust on it with an electric cut out. This way little man can ride in it etc
That is great news. I always liked the idea of an electric cut out. A loud exhaust can be fun but it gets annoying after awhile. An exhaust that can switch between quite and loud at a moment's notice, that is the best of both worlds.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:59 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Quote:
Best news I've read all day.

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Old 12-16-2017, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
On the "selling your used car" topic, this dude made a video to help his girl sell her '96 Honda and apparently it sold for a staggering $20k....!!??

Last edited by Dio///M; 12-16-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
DF! How are you? Read up that you are getting ready to do a lateral move at work and that your art is going well. Good on ya, mate

Thanks Don, for the idea about the Ford...but I am reading horror stories about things blowing up on those cars. As much as the electrical gremlins worry me on a VW, at least they must be better than Ford quality.

Found a garage yesterday for Funny and Cookie. Of course, the stupid RE broker offered me a $50 increase on the rent (than what was listed on CL). Waiting to hear back as I want to get my cars out of the weather before Christmas.

But, the bottom line question is...to empty the wallet or not to empty the wallet. That is the question. All I keep thinking about is that the cost of the R is the cost of the kitchen cabinets or the bathroom remodeling. Homeownership sux sometimes. Not that I can't..its a question of if I should...but I really don't like driving Snowy around anymore.

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"

Last edited by TechieTechie; 12-16-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:58 PM
Hellawut??

Mein Auto: who knows?
Should i paint my e36. Gahhh. So hard.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325is
Quote:

So I won't be able to pick this up on my way back from TX?

Sad yet happy at same time.

glad you and your E36 are staying around a little longer.

1994 BMW 325is "Feldt" w/Turner Motorsports chip
Old 12-17-2017, 07:05 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
On the "selling your used car" topic, this dude made a video to help his girl sell her '96 Honda and apparently it sold for a staggering $20k....!!??
A fool and his money are soon parted.....

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Last edited by hornhospital; 12-17-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:04 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
A fool and his money are soon parted.....
I'm pretty sure that auction was nullified after it ended because the bids were determined to be bogus (not surprisingly).

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
damn you chad!

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search