Run Flat Tire Warranty - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 F48 (2016 - current)

X1 F48 (2016 - current)
Second generation F48 BMW X1 builds on the success of it's predecessor. Increases in power, interior and cargo space keep it a leader in the small SUV field.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X1
Run Flat Tire Warranty

I just picked up an X1 at South Albany BMW here in Albany, NY.

After a week one of my run flats went flat. Took in in and the told me that a run flat cannot be repaired and that there was not road hazard warranty. They wanted $330 for one new tire with about 100 miles on it.

I called BMW and they were surprised that the dealer did not call Pirelli. So I called Pirelli and learned that Pirelli offers a free lifetime road hazard warranty on its run flats. After I went nuts on my dealer they agreed to give me a new tire for free. The service manager had no idea the tires BMW supplies come with a free road hazard warranty.

By the way, Tire Rack offered to sell me a BMW Pirelli P7 for only $200.

I wonder how many BMW dealers are charging customers for tires that should be covered by this warranty. BMW failed to provide a written warranty, only one on the CD-ROM that you cannot play in the car's cd player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 328i Xdrive Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by feirstein View Post
I just picked up an X1 at South Albany BMW here in Albany, NY.

After a week one of my run flats went flat. Took in in and the told me that a run flat cannot be repaired and that there was not road hazard warranty. They wanted $330 for one new tire with about 100 miles on it.

I called BMW and they were surprised that the dealer did not call Pirelli. So I called Pirelli and learned that Pirelli offers a free lifetime road hazard warranty on its run flats. After I went nuts on my dealer they agreed to give me a new tire for free. The service manager had no idea the tires BMW supplies come with a free road hazard warranty.

By the way, Tire Rack offered to sell me a BMW Pirelli P7 for only $200.

I wonder how many BMW dealers are charging customers for tires that should be covered by this warranty. BMW failed to provide a written warranty, only one on the CD-ROM that you cannot play in the car's cd player.
Good to know, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Spaß beim Fahren.

Mein Auto: 2020 X3 M Sport
This is what Pirelli offers in Canada.No mention of a lifetime warranty:

Road Hazard Policy for Run Flat Tires Only

Pirelli Run Flat tires are manufactured with technology that allows limited low-inflation operation in the event of sudden loss of pressure. Pirelli does not recommend the repair of run flat tires and as a result, Pirelli provides road hazard coverage on all Pirelli produced tires that are manufactured with run flat technology. To qualify for Run Flat Road Hazard coverage, a completed claim form along with the tire exhibiting the road hazard must be returned to Pirelli through an authorized Pirelli dealer.

If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, which is one year from the date of original retail purchase of the vehicle or purchase of replacement tires (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32” of the original usable tread, whichever occurs first, the tire will be replaced with the same or comparable tire at no charge for the tire to the owner. After the initial warranty period, if a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost of a comparable new Pirelli replacement tire on a pro-rata basis. The authorized Pirelli dealer will determine the cost by multiplying the percentage of the original usable tread worn by the current dealer selling price. The owner must pay for any associated service charges, including costs associated with mounting and balancing of the tire. This Road Hazard Policy is not a warranty. Pirelli does not warranty that a Pirelli tire will not fail due to road hazard and does not authorize any person, including authorized Pirelli dealers, to make such a warranty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2018, 08:48 AM

Same thing happened to me, got the blow out on my X1, took the car to the dealer (Bloomfield BMW) and they charged me $320 to replace the tire. Next day I called them about the road hazard protection and they told me that I need to take it to the Pirelli dealer. Pirelli dealer was very surprised the BMW didn't honor the road hazard protection. At this point they gave me two options: wait for a refund from Pirelli (30days) or get another tire for free right away. I went with new tire since I had 8000miles on the car, this way I have two new tires in the front but I had to pay install charge and sales tax.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 340i M-Sport Xdrive
First of all, the runflat can be repaired the same as any other tire. Second, there usually are no warranties on OEM tires, unless you
purchase the "Tire & Wheel" coverage. It may be that Pirelli did not understand it was an OEM tire.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:26 AM

PIRELLI ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT & REPLACEMENT LIMITED WARRANTY
PASSENGER & LIGHT TRUCK TIRES

Road Hazard Policy for Run Flat and PNCS Tires Only
Both Pirelli Original Equipment and Replacement tires manufactured with Pirelli Run-Flat technology are covered for road hazards. Pirelli Run Flat tires are manufactured with technology that allows limited low-inflation operation in the event of sudden loss of pressure. In addition, select Pirelli tires are manufactured with noise cancelling technology (Pirelli Noise Cancelling System, or “PNCS”). Pirelli does not recommend the repair of Run Flat tires or PNCS tires and as a result, Pirelli provides road hazard coverage on all Pirelli produced tires that are manufactured with either Run Flat or PNCS technology. To qualify for Run Flat Road Hazard coverage, a completed claim form along with the tire exhibiting the road hazard must be returned to Pirelli through an authorized Pirelli dealer.
If a Run Flat or PNCS tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, which is within the first year (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32” of the original usable tread, the tire will be replaced with the same or comparable tire at no charge for the tire to the owner. After the initial warranty period, if a Run Flat or PNCS tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost of a comparable new Pirelli replacement tire on a pro-rata basis. The authorized Pirelli dealer will determine the cost by multiplying the percentage of the original usable tread worn by the current dealer selling price. The owner must pay for any associated service charges, including costs associated with mounting and balancing of the tire.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Been down that road a few times ... My BMW dealer was also unaware of tire manufacturer's warranties but after my first conversation 4-5 years ago with the parts and service managers they totally took care of rft tire road hazard issues (replacement NOT repairs) with Pirelli & Continental tires that were on my previous BMWs. Consumers should be better informed (get themselves educated!!) and not expect that ALL dealers will look after the customer's best interests.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Bimmerfest mobile app
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

SPAM links removed. Not permitted on Bimmerfest
Old 01-30-2018, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: '09 E90 328, '17 F48 X1 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by yi5hedr3 View Post
First of all, the runflat can be repaired the same as any other tire. Second, there usually are no warranties on OEM tires, unless you
purchase the "Tire & Wheel" coverage. It may be that Pirelli did not understand it was an OEM tire.
Yes RFT''s can be repaired like a std tire...but only if you don't run on it! If you read the tech info on the RFT tires you'll find they only allow 50 miles of use with no air in them...so dealers/reputable tire shops will not repair one that has been run on....how are they to know how long you wandered around ignoring the TPMS..or maybe you were an hour's drive from home on a Sunday afternoon and wanted to get home for work on Monday.
I read this stuff when I bought my 328I with RFT;s...and promptly bought a spare/jack kit and threw it in the trunk....Kid you not...the very first road trip we took in the car...came out to the parking lot and when I started the car got TPMS warning about low rear tire..went back and I could hear the air whistling out...slapped on my spare...then pushed BMW "Assist" button..they knew right where I was and called me by name...and offered to tow me to nearest BMW dealer...where I would wait till Monday morning to get things fixed. Yeah right...both wife and I had to be at work 170 miles away on Monday morning.
Since I had a spare, tire shop I found open repaired and rebalanced my tire for $20 and in less than 1/2 hour I was rolling for home!....Guess who checked "delete RFT" on his X1 order form! At least BMW gave me a spare and jack this time around and a well to hold them....but NOT the road tire...maybe not such a good idea...having the spare in the 328's trunk cuts way down on wife's packing for road trips.

Last edited by spitpilot; 01-30-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i ZSP ZMT
I now have over 80,000 miles on my factory-order 2013 F30, with the staggered sport package setup--and yesterday, after driving to the mountains to lead a hike, I had a warning that my right rear tire had lost pressure, just four miles from home. At home, I got out my mini-compressor and tried to pump up the tire--but it would not maintain tire pressure. So I drove to my local Discount Tire store this morning (where I'd bought my set of Bridgestone DriveGuards) and they very quickly found a screw in my tire, removed the screw, plugged it, pumped it up, and sent me on my way, no charge. I was impressed how well that runflat performed in the relatively few miles I had to drive on it--and with Discount Tire's performance. That same job at my dealer would've taken a half-day, minimum, plus a 40-mile roundtrip.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:54 PM

Same thing just happened to me. My 17 X1 is 2 1/2 months old with 3000 miles. I ran over a nail last week. I was quoted $398 for a tire at my BMW dealer. I called NTB who would sell me the tire for $325. The dealer agreed to match their price. I got home and called Pirelli who informed me that the dealer should know these tires come with a road hazard warranty. They told me I just had to pay for the taxes, mounting, balancing, and disposal fees. I spoke to my service manager who was unaware of this policy! Kind of hard to believe. He said I've leared something new today. All in all I payed $83 for a new tire.

Last edited by Gfg3; 02-13-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:39 PM

I guess I lucked out, wtih a no-charge, back on the road, warranty! Very impressive to me, at least, that I could drive an unlimited distance on my zero-psi tire as long as I stayed under 50 mph! Way back before I drove bimmers, a flat tire was often a huge hassle--since wheels were often put on using a powerful torque-wrench--so that, having a flat far from home, meant that you might find yourself unable to budge the wheel bolts, with a huge heavy spare in the trunk. And of course that was back in the days before smart phones!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: '09 E90 328, '17 F48 X1 M
[QUOTE=Nordique;12296482]t I could drive an unlimited distance on my zero-psi tire as long as I stayed under 50 mph!" QUOTE
"I
NOT SO! Here's Pirelli's claim off their run flat webpage:

Pirelli Self-Supporting Run Flat™ tires represent the most comprehensive approach to road safety and driving pleasure, they are designed to keep your car or SUV stable for you to continue your journey safely for 80 km (50 miles) at a maximum speed of 80 km/h (50 mph).

That's why reputable tire shops and dealers will not repair a RFT unless you can show it wasn't run on...either have car towed in for repairs by BMW under warranty or in my case...have a compact spare on the axle when I rolled into the tire shop....
Old 02-14-2018, 08:46 PM

So far, okay! Since I drive seven days a week, I will find out soon enough if the plug does not work!
Old 04-09-2018, 10:37 AM

I informed BMW that their dealers did not know that the Pirelli run flats were covered by a road hazard warranty. Apparently BMW has not made an effort to cure this problem. Too bad this forum has such limited reach.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yi5hedr3 View Post
Yes, runflats can be repaired, despite what the dealer says, as long as the puncture is not too close to the tire wall. I got a nail in my tire a few months ago and I took it to a local tire speciality shop. They charged me $60 and as good a new.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 F48 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search