The NEWEST official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 311 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
It's a frickin rocket! It's acceleration and lack of engine noise keep you from realizing how fast you're going. Getting onto the expressway I hit 80 going up the ramp without hardly trying. From a standing start it doesn't snap your head back or anything like that, it just has a hard, constant/linear acceleration. I have a feeling it would smoke the Z4 up to around 40 or so mph.
We had been looking at alternatives for LINDA since she was getting tired of the 128 and hadn't put the top down in months, plus the short trip driving she does was hard on the gas engine. She was putting maybe 3K-4K miles a year on it, and I was changing the oil every 6 months and it still looked bad. The engine hardly ever got warmed up.
In addition the 128 wasn't good for hauling stuff and the truck didn't fit the stuff she needs to haul well. She's started a custom greeting card business and needs to go to markets and stuff with her card racks, tables, canopy, etc. The truck bed with the bed cover isn't really deep enough. With the seats down the i3 should have enough volume for her to get all her stuff into it.
Karl, it does have the REX. I was specifically looking for one with that so that there's a back up for when she forgets to plug it in. We wanted a 2015 or later because they got an upgraded battery and more range. This one's a 2016 with 24k miles. It was a lease turn in that was one of the dealership employees cars so we have the full history on it. Factory warranty covers through 50K miles or mid 2020 so we've got at least two years before we have to decide if we want/need extended warranty coverage.
Linda really wanted silver, but for used vehicles you sometimes have to compromise color vs condition so she decided she would be ok with white or black also.
I really need to find a way to sneak it out to the 1/8 mile drag strip and see what it will really do.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
Looks pretty cool in black! Definitely interested in what you think of it.
Surprisingly it feels very much like an E36 on the road. Well behaved but nicely responsive.
I wonder where they'd class me if I showed up with it for AutoX? :-)

Last edited by dc_wright; 03-02-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
Don that's funky. Congrats .....brave of you to go all black for a DD...does it have some sort of sport kit or bits 'cause it kinda looks different than most I've seen..
I read somewhere once that the 0-30 dispatch on those is not something to be sniffed at...(dunno if it was 30 mph or kph though)

Magnum, this is a private line. Clear off..

Just like the E88, it will spend most of it's life in the garage so the black shouldn't be an issue. One of the neat features is there's an app you can download to your phone, and supposedly you can remotely turn on the heat or AC and get the interior temp comfy before you go,out to it. If that works then the black on black won't make any difference during the summer months.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:20 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
One of the talking points commonly cited when the i3 was new was that they are as fast or faster to about 30mph than the M3/M4. Definitely not a slouch, and that's on tiny little eco tires that are barely bigger than a motorcycle tire.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 03-02-2018, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I am winning the bid at 200$. If I get this car, you lot have first dibs on anything you want at a great price. I just want to thank all of you for the support you have given me over the last three years I have owned my car. I will ship almost anything.

Is it worth me buying a hoist and pulling the engine? I have never pulled a engine or trans out before.
It is very much worth it to get a hoist to pull the engine. For a hundred and change you can get a HF hoist (if you can wait for the hoist coupon to save like $20. They come out like once a month) and pull the engine and tranny together. The engine is going to be the biggest ticket item you are going to sell out of the car. It should sell for at lest $500 and that basically covers the cost of the car to you. After that everything else you sell off the car is going to just be gravy on top.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 03-02-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
One of the talking points commonly cited when the i3 was new was that they are as fast or faster to about 30mph than the M3/M4. Definitely not a slouch, and that's on tiny little eco tires that are barely bigger than a motorcycle tire.
Speaking of M4's, they had this in the showroom where we bought the i3. 2016, 4K miles, asking price $99K. I offered the E85 and $10K but for some reason they weren't interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M4 GTS.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	780232  
Old 03-03-2018, 01:02 AM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Speaking of M4's, they had this in the showroom where we bought the i3. 2016, 4K miles, asking price $99K. I offered the E85 and $10K but for some reason they weren't interested.
Don't remember how many few of those were made but it wasn't many so I think its driving days are all but over or very limited....
....it's doomed to be tucked away in some collector's garage to be a conversation piece on demand....although I wouldn't dismiss the odd chance of it showing up at car shows.....on a track it would be an anathema!!

Old 03-03-2018, 02:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
I was out bid on the parts car. I wonder if the local junkyard bought it? I will keep a look out on their website.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:05 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Don't remember how many few of those were made but it wasn't many so I think its driving days are all but over or very limited....
....it's doomed to be tucked away in some collector's garage to be a conversation piece on demand....although I wouldn't dismiss the odd chance of it showing up at car shows.....on a track it would be an anathema!!

Maybe so, but the press hated the M4 GTS because they were absurdly expensive for what you get and the suspension was not very well sorted.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 03-03-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I was out bid on the parts car. I wonder if the local junkyard bought it? I will keep a look out on their website.
I thought you won it at $200. How did someone else get it from you?

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 03-03-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Maybe so, but the press hated the M4 GTS because they were absurdly expensive for what you get and the suspension was not very well sorted.
It's the small production run number that drives it's price. Other than a factory installed cage and not installing some of the interior, and the bolt on wing, it's not that different from a fully optioned M4. The one in the photo had hardly been driven and not a mark on it anywhere. You just can't take a car out on the track without picking up a few stone chips and the frozen paint is impossible to touch up. When I asked our salesman about it, he indicated he'd heard the owner realized the impracticality of the car and traded it for an M4.

If I won the Lottery (more like Power Ball) where I had $100M then maybe I'd consider it because the economics of the wear it would see and the additional mods to really make it a track beast would be immaterial. That said, I think Dio's correct, it's going to be a car show piece, just like my friends 30th anniversary M5.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark11235 View Post
I thought you won it at $200. How did someone else get it from you?
I placed a $200 bid and though no one else would bid on a 23 year old bent car.

I didn't catch the live auction since the power went out.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
I would just like to state, unequivocally for the record, I hate BMWs new numbering scheme and castrating the M power plants.

That is all

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"
Old 03-07-2018, 03:44 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Agree 100%. The numbering system has been ludicrous for some time. And going to front wheel drive on the 1 and 2 Series is blasphemy.

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Old 03-07-2018, 03:51 PM

Okay, back to the original program....

Ken, glad to hear you are progressing with the treatment without too many awful side effects. My stepdad used Chocolate milkshakes to ease the discomfort

Don, whatchadoin? An i3? I know why BMW is adding these cars to the lineup, but I hate what it's doing to their heritage (steps off soapbox now). But, I hope it fits yours and Linda's needs (and please make sure you have proper tires on there before hooning the crap outta them. I totalled car amongst us is enough!).

Congrats on becoming an instructor. You will be great, with your calm, methodical demeanor.

I am looking at 24-27 foot power boats that are big enough to overnight on. Lots of good harbors to explore around here. I think I found the boat owner equivalent to me...a retired mechanic who has owned a 27' Tiara (fishing/express cruiser) for 20 years, and has all his receipts. He replaced both engines 5 years ago (crate, not rebuilt) and recently replaced the entire transmission (he ran around, oops, shouldn't do that with a full inboard). Refuses to sell it to idiots who want to buy it sight unseen, even though he's selling it for less than the price of two new motors. He won't sell it without a sea trial (quote "why would anyone buy a boat without test driving it first, that's just dumb"), he won't take a deposit, and he's verbally given me right of first refusal. Boat was supposed to go in the water this weekend, but he's waiting a few weeks due to the crappy weather we've had over the last 10 days (can't blame him). But the wait is KILLING me. I am hoping he is a true gentleman and I get another great deal on another toy I shouldn't own (hey Cookie and Funny, I'm talking about you!).

I think I may have to hold onto Snowy for 1 more year. My retirement planning does not like 2 big purchases in 1 year. Plus, the first of the 2016 lease returns should be hitting the market this year, which should make the prices drop quite a bit (I want a 2016, as it's the year after the model year upgrade but a year before they they added that stupid smart cruise control). But right now, Snowy has a big fat REJECT inspection sticker on her, so I gotta spend some money to get her out of the shameful penalty box. I at least need to replace 2 rear taillights, fix the emergency brake, and figure out the source of the cabin leak (hopefully it's just plugged drain). Hoping I can get it into the local Voc Tech for cheap, since I can be flexible on timing. If not, out comes the wallet again!

Last edited by TechieTechie; 03-07-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
I would just like to state, unequivocally for the record, I hate BMWs new numbering scheme and castrating the M power plants.

That is all
Agreed! The insanity started with the E89. Z4 sDrive35is, Z4 sDrive35, what the heck is up with all that!

It seemed like they were going down a path where 2 door cars were going to be even model numbers, and odd numbers were going to be sedans, but they haven't even been consistent with that.

Quote:

Don, whatchadoin? An i3? I know why BMW is adding these cars to the lineup, but I hate what it's doing to their heritage (steps off soapbox now). But, I hope it fits yours and Linda's needs (and please make sure you have proper tires on there before hooning the crap outta them. I totalled car amongst us is enough!).

I am looking at 24-27 foot power boats that are big enough to overnight on. Lots of good harbors to explore around here. I think I found the boat owner equivalent to me...a retired mechanic who has owned a 27' Tiara (fishing/express cruiser) for 20 years, and has all his receipts. He replaced both engines 5 years ago (crate, not rebuilt) and recently replaced the entire transmission (he ran around, oops, shouldn't do that with a full inboard). Refuses to sell it to idiots who want to buy it sight unseen, even though he's selling it for less than the price of two new motors. He won't sell it without a sea trial (quote "why would anyone buy a boat without test driving it first, that's just dumb"), he won't take a deposit, and he's verbally given me right of first refusal. Boat was supposed to go in the water this weekend, but he's waiting a few weeks due to the crappy weather we've had over the last 10 days (can't blame him). But the wait is KILLING me. I am hoping he is a true gentleman and I get another great deal on another toy I shouldn't own (hey Cookie and Funny, I'm talking about you!).
Linda was driving the E88 4 miles every other day and it was literally killing the engine. She goes to check on her mother at her condo 2 miles away, is there for a couple hours and then drives back. The engine was literally being driven cold all the time. The i3 fits her driving patterns perfectly and the operating cost is next to nothing. Plus it's got enough room she can cart her stuff when she goes to an event to show her greeting cards. www.good-prints.com

Your new boat might count as a 2nd home and if so you can deduct loan interest same as for a home mortgage. https://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release.asp?id=760

One absolute with an inboard is you have to purchase the NOAA charts for the waters you plan to motor in and scout depths before you head out. Having a depth indicator is a good thing, but if you're at speed they usually just confirm you just ran aground. Old boaters joke - What did your depth indicator read before you hit that reef? 10, 10, 10, 10, 5, 1.

Last edited by dc_wright; 03-07-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:

That is all
Agreed. I still have a hate boner for what they are calling all the new 3 series coupes and convertibles. In my book it is still just a series 3 coupe or convertible and that is what I will call it.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:56 PM

Oh, Don, I get why you guys bought the i3 (I feel that way about Funny most weeks) but I gotta razz you

Thank you for the that link on the deduction, I had NO idea. I was gonna pay cash for the boat. I might be better off getting a loan (if I can find a cheap loan).

Yeah, most of the boats up here come with depth finders because of all the shoals. And I love maps, so I figured I would buy NOAA charts. The challenge up here is that with all these major storms, channels are changing monthly. But in boating, always have a backup plan for safety, so paper it is. And, the shoals are exactly why this boat has 2 new props and transmissions, owner ran aground. Ooops. Bad for him, good for me.

Here's the link.
https://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/6499799150.html

If the guy walks as good as he talks (and the transom and stringers are solid), it's a steal.

Last edited by TechieTechie; 03-07-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=TechieTechie;12389648]Oh, Don, I get why you guys bought the i3 (I feel that way about Funny most weeks) but I gotta razz you

Thank you for the that link on the deduction, I had NO idea. I was gonna pay cash for the boat. I might be better off getting a loan (if I can find a cheap loan).

Yeah, most of the boats up here come with depth finders because of all the shoals. And I love maps, so I figured I would buy NOAA charts. The challenge up here is that with all these major storms, channels are changing monthly. But in boating, always have a backup plan for safety, so paper it is. And, the shoals are exactly why this boat has 2 new props and transmissions, owner ran aground. Ooops. Bad for him, good for me.

Here's the link.
https://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/6499799150.html

If the guy walks as good as he talks (and the transom and stringers are solid), it's a steal.[/QUO

Nice! Should be pretty easy to find a marine surveyor up there to do a PPI for ya. Hope it works out!
Old 03-07-2018, 08:37 PM

Bmw model naming scheme is not that complex if seen in a simple way. In a nutshell,...

Even numbers are for SPORTY VEHICLES , (2 series, 4, 6, upcoming 8 series, 4 series grand coupe and 6 series grand coupe) and odd numbers are for MAINSTREAM ones. (1 series, 3, 5, 7)

It also works for SUVs. The X1, X3 and the X5 (odd numbers) are the boxy, practical ones, while the X4 and X6 (even numbers) are the “sporty” ones that look like giant wheeled armadillos with no rear headroom.

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-07-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

The SERIES designation isn't the problem. It's the (what used to be) engine size two-digit after the Series number. With few exceptions the last two digits designated the engine displacement, at least pretty close. A 325e was a 2.7 liter, but later the 325i came into line at 2.5 liters, either the M20B25 of the E30, or the M50B25 of the E36.

Now, the last two digits mean nothing. From the wiki:

since 2006, models powered by 3.0 litre turbo petrol engines have used the digits "35" and "40" (e.g. 135i, 335d, 440i)

since 2007, models powered by 2.0 litre turbo diesel engines have used the digits "23", "25" and "28" (e.g. 123d, 328d)

since 2010, models powered by 4.4 litre turbo petrol engines have used the digits "50" (e.g. 550i, 650i and 740i)

since 2011, models powered by 2.0 litre turbo petrol engines have used the digits "25", "28" and "30" (e.g. 125i, 530i)

since 2012, models powered by the N57S 3.0 litre triple-turbo diesel engine have been named 550d and 750d

since 2014, models powered by 1.5 litre turbo petrol engines have used the digits "16" and "18" (e.g. 116i, 318i)

since 2016, the M760i model has been powered by a 6.6 litre turbo petrol engine

Even for non-turbo engines, the number of cylinders cannot be determined from the model name. For example, the 1987-1991 530i uses a six-cylinder engine, the 1992-1996 530i uses a V8 engine and the 2000-2016 530i uses a six-cylinder engine (to add to the confusion, just prior to the 1992 V8 530i being introduced, the 535i model used a six-cylinder engine).

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Last edited by hornhospital; 03-07-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:40 PM

The way I understand it (briefly, as I'm about to drop off the twins at kindergarten) is that the last two numbers simply refer to where the model sits in the powerband.
Bmw, as the other German brands make two basic engine blocks, ( 4 or 6 cylinder for the vast majority of their sales, and lately a 3 cylinder) using ONLY ONE type of cylinder size throughout the engine range ( a 500 cc).

So inevitably, almost all their cars have a 2 or 3 litre engine in various state of tune mated to 1 to 3 turbos producing a wide range of power from the same block.
The last two digits give us the power/output of the model.

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-08-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Bmw model naming scheme is not that complex if seen in a simple way. In a nutshell,...

Even numbers are for SPORTY VEHICLES , (2 series, 4, 6, upcoming 8 series, 4 series grand coupe and 6 series grand coupe) and odd numbers are for MAINSTREAM ones. (1 series, 3, 5, 7)

It also works for SUVs. The X1, X3 and the X5 (odd numbers) are the boxy, practical ones, while the X4 and X6 (even numbers) are the “sporty” ones that look like giant wheeled armadillos with no rear headroom.

Except there's no difference in marketing between the current M3 and M4, there's an M5, and there's an X5M. There's just no scheme that doesn't have a group of models that are exceptions to it.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:57 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

I think we saw this coming

Just announced today:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8#post12391078

BMW-CCA #441426
Old 03-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
But they didn't mention the Taco hiatus. Poor Tacos

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
damn you chad!

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search