No more MT for BMW - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 320i ZSP ZMT
No more MT for BMW

It was only on this site that I learned that my next car may not be a BMW--when I learned that I will no longer be able to order my next BMW with a manual transmission. I've been driving bimmers for awhile now, since my 1993 325i. That car, like my 2003 325i, were wonderful cars, all with sport package and MT, and great fun on the track and on club tours. My current 2013 320i now has 95K miles on it. At age 76, I've never owned a car with AT--all my cars have been MT, including my first car, a 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook, with a 3-speed shifter on the steering column, and no synchro. I learned to double-clutch downshift on that car.

Did you read this recent piece in the NYT?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/o...hift-cars.html

When I heard that BMW is dumping the MT option, I called my local Alfa dealer--but they said, no MT. VW at least still has MT (my wife just bought one) and, in the distant past, before I moved up to BMW, I owned two Jetta GLI's in a row, with Recaro seats and great manual transmissions.

I wonder if the local VW club--if there is such a thing--rents our local track for driving events.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Considering only 2 percent of all buyers are actually choosing them, obviously, no one will produce anything that people won’t actually buy.
The fact of the matter is that modern automatic transmissions are simply better. They are quicker, more responsive, and offer better performance and comfort — something no manual transmission can. This leaves the manual transmission for true gearheads and for those who want to save a couple of dollars when buying a new car.
Ferrari ceased the MT ages ago, so did Porsche.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
To OP, bmwua does show that 2019 230i coupe can be configured with MT.

How many miles are on your F30?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 04:42 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I wonder if the local VW club--if there is such a thing--rents our local track for driving events.
You don't have to own a BMW to be a member of the BMW CCA. You don't have to drive a BMW to join us at the track for HPDE events. Don't be a stranger.

BMW CCA
Old 03-25-2019, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
Considering only 2 percent of all buyers are actually choosing them, obviously, no one will produce anything that people won’t actually buy.
The fact of the matter is that modern automatic transmissions are simply better. They are quicker, more responsive, and offer better performance and comfort — something no manual transmission can. This leaves the manual transmission for true gearheads and for those who want to save a couple of dollars when buying a new car.
Porsche still offers manuals. The Turbo and Turbo S only have a DCT. The GT3's go back and forth, only manual with one iteration, then only DCT, and then back to only manual.

The M2 and M4 are still in production with a manual, and that will supposedly continue with the next platforms.

I've bought seven new passenger cars for my own use. All of them have been manuals. I have one of the last F10 535i's built. My next beater will be a manual. But, my next go-fast/look-cool car will likely have a DCT.

One of the things I use a manual for is coasting in neutral to improve fuel economy, and compression braking to conserve brake pads. I can do that with Frau Putzer's X3. But, I have to switch back and forth between EcoPro (for the neutral coasting), and Comfort (for compression braking). I also have to remember to disable ASS before I stop if I'm in EcoPro.

I wish I had rev' matching with my 535i, and I wish it'd be one that I could turn on and off, regardless of which suspension setting I want. Rev' matching is all software. M's already have it. So, it wouldn't cost much to put it on the remaining non-M's with manuals.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:17 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
You don't have to own a BMW to be a member of the BMW CCA. You don't have to drive a BMW to join us at the track for HPDE events. Don't be a stranger.
+1
One of my buddies in BMW CCA National Capital Chapter (by far the largest and most active chapter in the U.S.) switched from an F30 328i to a Volkswagen GTI Mk7. He participates in all of the usual NCC CCA activities with his GTI: autocross, HPDE, scenic driving tours, DIY events, Chapterfest, etc.

Nordique, the new MQB platform Jetta GLI is an excellent alternative to a BMW G20, and offers a manual transmission.

Last edited by gkr778; 03-25-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I wish I had rev' matching with my 535i, and I wish it'd be one that I could turn on and off, regardless of which suspension setting I want. Rev' matching is all software. M's already have it. So, it wouldn't cost much to put it on the remaining non-M's with manuals.
rev matching should be standard on F30 LCI MT offerings.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Nordique, the new MQB platform Jetta GLI is an excellent alternative to a BMW G20, and offers a manual transmission.
Is that MQB platform FWD though?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:34 AM
Novice driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Is that MQB platform FWD though?
That's correct namelessman. MQB is for VW Group's transverse, front-engine, FWD/AWD cars.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That's correct namelessman. MQB is for VW Group's transverse, front-engine, FWD/AWD cars.
How is weight distribution on FWD and AWD for MQB? Recently a friend said a hybrid FWD can be much than that 60/40.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
To OP, bmwua does show that 2019 230i coupe can be configured with MT.

How many miles are on your F30?
Over 95,000 miles now on my 2013 ZSP ZMT--and I've never driven it outside the state of Washington. Since I often have passengers (since I lead three hikes a week, year round, weather permitting), I like four doors and a big trunk. I also join my climbing friends at Vertical World in Seattle three days a week, year round.

Still, I will have to check out that coupe! Thanks for pointing it out!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
My only experience with AT is in rental cars--where the experience was much less smooth than shifting my own MT. I like double-clutch downshifting and making my own decisions about when to shift.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
I'm a longtime member of the local and national BMW clubs and did a lot of track events in my two previous bimmers. In those days, my insurance company covered track events as long as they were not timed events. Their policy now says no insurance coverage for any event at a track, even if just in the parking lot at the track!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 AM
Novice driver

Quote:
Their policy now says no insurance coverage for any event at a track, even if just in the parking lot at the track!
I learned that "don't ask, don't tell" is the best approach here.

For HPDE and track days, I purchase a policy from Lockton Affinity.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Over 95,000 miles now on my 2013 ZSP ZMT--and I've never driven it outside the state of Washington. Since I often have passengers (since I lead three hikes a week, year round, weather permitting), I like four doors and a big trunk. I also join my climbing friends at Vertical World in Seattle three days a week, year round.

Still, I will have to check out that coupe! Thanks for pointing it out!
Is your N20 A-OK as far as timing chain is concerned? There is an uptick of traffic regarding N20/N26 issues, e.g. [email protected] is advising not to buy any pre-2/2015 N20/N26, and is concerned if pre-2/2015 N20/N26 can make it to 200k miles.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Exactly. BMW is responding to the vast majority of their customers who have voted with their wallets. Those customers have been choosing an automatic transmission for years.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Is your N20 A-OK as far as timing chain is concerned? There is an uptick of traffic regarding N20/N26 issues, e.g. [email protected] is advising not to buy any pre-2/2015 N20/N26, and is concerned if pre-2/2015 N20/N26 can make it to 200k miles.
So far, no timing chain issues!
Old 03-25-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I learned that "don't ask, don't tell" is the best approach here.

For HPDE and track days, I purchase a policy from Lockton Affinity.
The last time I got a Lockton quote, it seemed pretty pricey for one day--but now of course my car's replacement cost is a lot lower!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:06 PM
Novice driver

Quote:
The last time I got a Lockton quote, it seemed pretty pricey for one day--but now of course my car's replacement cost is a lot lower!
Lockton isn't cheap, that's for sure. But I didn't want to risk my primary auto insurance policy being cancelled or having to contend with a hike in the premium simply for asking about HPDE/track coverage. Heard too many horror stories of that happening to others.

Glad to hear that your 320i is holding up well. I have essentially the same car ('14 320i ZMT ZSP) and use it primarily for fun driving such as autocross, HPDE, and runs up and down Natchez Trace Parkway. Hopefully my car will be as trouble free as yours!

Old 03-25-2019, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 M340i
My current rental in Scotland is an Audi Q2 with a manual, nice little SUV.

2017 330i, 475, KCL3, ZDA, ZPP, 2A5, 494, 4GA, 609, 6CP BMS JB tune and Many Coded goodies Gone

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Old 03-25-2019, 02:43 PM

I had a project that sent me to the UK back in the early 2000's. In the spring, fall, and winter, most of the cheap rental cars were manuals. In the summer, the rental fleets are loaded up with automatics... for all the Yanks who can't drive a stick.

The lead technician in my shop, "Spaz," went with me once, in December, and he wanted an automatic. They had to bring in one from London. His driving in the UK was all of about one mile, which almost ended in the head-on collision with a BMW 7 Series. We were in a Honda Civic rebadged as a Rover. I'm pretty sure the 7 Series would have won. He turned off the car, pulled the key out of the ignition, and handed it to me. I drove for the next two weeks.

I almost lost Spaz at a crosswalk one night. He walked up to the curb, looked to his left, and jump in front of an oncoming car (coming from his right).
Old 03-25-2019, 02:43 PM

I had a project that sent me to the UK back in the early 2000's. In the spring, fall, and winter, most of the cheap rental cars were manuals. In the summer, the rental fleets are loaded up with automatics... for all the Yanks who can't drive a stick.

The lead technician in my shop, "Spaz," went with me once, in December, and he wanted an automatic. They had to bring in one from London. His driving in the UK was all of about one mile, which almost ended in the head-on collision with a BMW 7 Series. We were in a Honda Civic rebadged as a Rover. I'm pretty sure the 7 Series would have won. He turned off the car, pulled the key out of the ignition, and handed it to me. I drove for the next two weeks.

I almost lost Spaz at a crosswalk one night. He walked up to the curb, looked to his left, and jump in front of an oncoming car (coming from his right).
Old 03-25-2019, 03:49 PM

In all my trips to Europe, it was easy to get an MT--and most Europeans seemed to prefer MT. And I was mostly in the mountains and most often in the Dolomites and French Alps so lots of MT exercise on those wonderfully curvy roads!
Old 03-25-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
So far, no timing chain issues!
That is good news, esp. from those who put these N20/N26 through HPDE/track!

BMWNA still has not disclosed the failure model of these early TCs, and my 7-yr/70k-mile ELW will run out soon ....
Old 03-25-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
In all my trips to Europe, it was easy to get an MT--and most Europeans seemed to prefer MT. And I was mostly in the mountains and most often in the Dolomites and French Alps so lots of MT exercise on those wonderfully curvy roads!
It is highly doubtful BMW MT will go away, given demand in non-US market is still present.

Last edited by namelessman; 03-25-2019 at 04:02 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search