Top, Grinding Noise, mystery switch audio no go. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 05-30-2020, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Top, Grinding Noise, mystery switch audio no go.

So I am getting my ass handed to me today with this car.

1. I did not not have any success getting the top to work. I installed a new motor on the hydraulic pump and I have no movement on the top. The old one was actually in very good shape no water got into the motor housing ever it didn't look like. It was kind of greasy from hydraulic fluid though and some definitely came out when I installed the new motor. So I will comb the forum and find more info on tops.

2. I have this grinding noise now coming out of the engine compartment I think it is a pulley. I can feel the most vibration oil filter housing I made a quick video. There is nothing by the disa or vanos. What do you think?

3. I ordered a grom audio kit to mount in the trunk and apparently I have a dsp radio. I thought I had the standard radio, it does not say dsp on the radio it says business CD. I went in the trunk I have DSP connectors no 6 pin to be found.

4. When disassembling the trunk I found a mystery switch with a broken wire. Where the heck does this thing go?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 04:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
iirc #4 is a micro switch that senses if the shelf is in the correct position in the trunk for the top to work .........for #2 disconnect the accessory drive belt then start the engine and listen if the noise went away [do not run the motor too long 1 minute or so ] if quiet feel each pulley by hand for the worn bearing

Last edited by wifesauto; 05-31-2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: watt else...spellenz
Old 05-30-2020, 04:33 PM

Looks like the microswitch has been bypassed so this isn't the problem in terms of the top. I'll do more research now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Good advice on running briefly without the serp belt to see if that kills the grinding sound. Also agree that looks like the shelf microswitch which could certainly be the reason your top isn't working. It may have gotten jostled while you were looking for the CD changer wiring and is no longer in bypass mode. Make sure the microswitch is fully depressed and then use a zip tie or tape to hold it.

As far as DSP, I don't know your year but Business Radio/CD is standard head unit whether you have DSP or not. If your car was pre-wired for the factory CD changer (I think this is standard from '06 on), you will have the 6 pin and power connectors in the trunk. I have this setup and I remember the connectors were a little hard to find, but they were there. If you do not have the CD changer wiring, Grom will send you a kit that mounts the Grom behind the radio.

Last edited by Andyz4; 05-30-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyz4 View Post
Good advice on running briefly without the serp belt to see if that kills the grinding sound. Also agree that looks like the shelf microswitch which could certainly be the reason your top isn't working. It may have gotten jostled while you were looking for the CD changer wiring and is no longer in bypass mode. Make sure the microswitch is fully depressed and then use a zip tie or tape to hold it.

As far as DSP, I don't know your year but Business Radio/CD is standard head unit whether you have DSP or not. If your car was pre-wired for the factory CD changer (I think this is standard from '06 on), you will have the 6 pin and power connectors in the trunk. I have this setup and I remember the connectors were a little hard to find, but they were there. If you do not have the CD changer wiring, Grom will send you a kit that mounts the Grom behind the radio.
The car is a 2003. I will pull the belt off this afternoon and check it out. I was really hoping not to have to pull the radio out. These are the wires I found in the trunk.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaisa View Post
So I am getting my ass handed to me today with this car.

1. I did not not have any success getting the top to work. I installed a new motor on the hydraulic pump and I have no movement on the top. The old one was actually in very good shape no water got into the motor housing ever it didn't look like. It was kind of greasy from hydraulic fluid though and some definitely came out when I installed the new motor. So I will comb the forum and find more info on tops.

2. I have this grinding noise now coming out of the engine compartment I think it is a pulley. I can feel the most vibration oil filter housing I made a quick video. There is nothing by the disa or vanos. What do you think?

3. I ordered a grom audio kit to mount in the trunk and apparently I have a dsp radio. I thought I had the standard radio, it does not say dsp on the radio it says business CD. I went in the trunk I have DSP connectors no 6 pin to be found.

4. When disassembling the trunk I found a mystery switch with a broken wire. Where the heck does this thing go?

The "mystery switch" is the micro switch that senses when the top storage tray is in the full down position. If that switch is not closed or its wires shorted together to bypass it the top will not retract. When you push the control button for lowering the top you should be getting an orange LED illuminated instead of the usual red LED.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:36 AM

So I pulled the serpentine belt and the pulleys seem fine. However there is a ton of play on the alternator shaft. Soooo i'm assuming that's the culprit.

Last edited by rbaisa; 05-31-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Does sound like you found it. As for the Grom install, you can run your VIN through a decoder to get a printout of the factory options on your car, including if the radio is pre-wired for the CD changer. But by the photo you attached I don't think you have it. The small plug with the brown wire is (I believe) for a phone not the CD changer. The Grom install behind the radio is pretty easy, it uses splice taps so you aren't cutting any wiring and there is plenty of extra space behind the head unit for the Grom itself.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:07 PM

I pulled the alternator apart today and the main bearing was a disaster. I was going to attempt to just replace the bearings, but When I took the voltage regulator off, one of the contact was broken in half. I could have ordered a new voltage regulator, but it would have taken too long to get, so I sprung for a new alternator. All the noise is gone. I also took off the spring tensioner and installed a hydraulic one I had. I order new shocks and struts and they should be here by the end of the week hopefully; the current suspension is awful. Ordered all the plastic pieces that are broken as well. I'm gonna put the top on the back burner for now since I can open and close it by hand and it locks in place with no problem. It is getting there a little more everyday
Old 06-03-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyz4 View Post
Does sound like you found it. As for the Grom install, you can run your VIN through a decoder to get a printout of the factory options on your car, including if the radio is pre-wired for the CD changer. But by the photo you attached I don't think you have it. The small plug with the brown wire is (I believe) for a phone not the CD changer. The Grom install behind the radio is pretty easy, it uses splice taps so you aren't cutting any wiring and there is plenty of extra space behind the head unit for the Grom itself.
So apparently the 3 cable wire is for the CD Player and the bare metal plug is a coax cable also used for the CD player. GROM Makes an adapter that you plug these into. Additionally you have to tap into some 12 volt wires and you are good to go. I installed it in the trunk in about 15 minutes and it works great. It was a little pricey for what it is, but for as easy as it was it was kind of a good trade off.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:02 PM

Installed some Bilstein b6 struts today. I think the originals were toast Rear shocks should be here Saturday.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search