Key fob - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 08-02-2020, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto:
Key fob

07 328i
I have recently joined this group in hopes to find the answer to my problem. I have seen it asked a couple times but no answers or results. And I feel my problem is a tad different than others I haveve read.

Ok here it goes. My key fob tends not to work until I start the car, kill the car, then use the key fob. It is a sealed key fob for those wondering. I can wake up in the morning and try to use to fob but nothing happens, so I have to use the cut key in the door to open. Put the fob in the ignition and starts fine. I can immediately kill the car and key fob works great. But after and hour or so the fob no longer works. I have tried longer drives with same results. I do have the comfort access version. I have tried holding the fob closer to the antenna with no results. Only thing that seems to work is starting the car then killing it directly after, then the fob works perfectly. But as stated earlier after an hour or two the fob is inoperable. Nothing works on it....lock unlock, trunk, nor the ease access of just putting my hand in the door handle while holding the fob.

Any help will be appreciated

Last edited by LowkeysLab; 08-02-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2020, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowkeysLab View Post
07 328i
I have recently joined this group in hopes to find the answer to my problem. I have seen it asked a couple times but no answers or results. And I feel my problem is a tad different than others I haveve read.

Ok here it goes. My key fob tends not to work until I start the car, kill the car, then use the key fob. It is a sealed key fob for those wondering. I can wake up in the morning and try to use to fob but nothing happens, so I have to use the cut key in the door to open. Put the fob in the ignition and starts fine. I can immediately kill the car and key fob works great. But after and hour or so the fob no longer works. I have tried longer drives with same results. I do have the comfort access version. I have tried holding the fob closer to the antenna with no results. Only thing that seems to work is starting the car then killing it directly after, then the fob works perfectly. But as stated earlier after an hour or two the fob is inoperable. Nothing works on it....lock unlock, trunk, nor the ease access of just putting my hand in the door handle while holding the fob.

Any help will be appreciated
It is likely the fob battery is dying. Is your battery easily replaceable? E9* seems to have both rechargeable and non-chargeable fobs.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto:
It iskind of funny that you brought that up because I was just on eBay looking for new fob shell replacement, because of other posts I read. One listing I saw a door on the back that revealed the battery and low and behold my fob does have the same door the battery in mine is a CR-2302 if I remember correctly. I will have to change that and see if that solves the problem.
My only question is... would that explain the fob only working after the car has been started and immediately killed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowkeysLab View Post
My only question is... would that explain the fob only working after the car has been started and immediately killed?
It is unclear why fob works after start ....

The replaceable battery is simple enough DIY to try and hope for best.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:56 AM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
E90 CA keys have a replaceable battery while the non-CA keys are rechargable. Sounds like your battery is near death. A simple trip to the store, but you may still have to start the car with it once to re-initialize it.

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
1999 740iA - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 330xiA - fXtXeX/son project - now April's car
2008 335xiA - winterbeater Impala replacement
2002 530i/5 - 2.5 years searching...and it is John's car
1989 535i/5 - the spare car
2002 325xiA - to be Charlotte's when she gets her license (?2019?)

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
key fob

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum
Today's Posts Search