F30 BMW 100K Mile Options / Concerns - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
F30 BMW 100K Mile Options / Concerns

Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing well!

First post and I've done a lot of reading on the forum and there is a lot of great information here.

let me get to the point and please forgive me if this question has been asked before!

This is my first BMW (2013 328i), I bought it Certified Pre Owned with 16k miles on it. I love this car so much that I drive it all the time, regardless where the destination is. With that said, I'm already at 92,500 miles. The car has been serviced at my local BMW dealer, the biggest repairs were the rear axle drive differential and a full replacement of brake rotors and pads, and they were all covered by the CPO warranty and service.

I have another service to be done before 100k miles. I asked my BMW service rep if anything can be done for preventative maintenance before the car goes out of warranty, I was told that they only service it if a red flags comes up when checking the computer, so just a routine service will be done at 98k miles.

My question and concerns, for those of you that have had BMWs longer than 100k miles, what should I be concerned about, what will be the biggest expense I'll see if something was to happen?

The car is in immaculate condition, I baby this car, I don't even let anyone drink or eat in my car, but I do have a heavy foot and love to haul ass... =)

Any suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 09:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Just continue to do what you are doing. Keep up with maintenance and repair or replace worn parts as quickly as possible. As you would do with any other used car.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Sooo ..... the biggest thing you have going for you is that you know the car and have taken great care of it.

It will go many more miles with some to be expected repairs ..... it's not worth much as a trade at this point so if you like it keep it imho ...

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
Just continue to do what you are doing. Keep up with maintenance and repair or replace worn parts as quickly as possible. As you would do with any other used car.
Thanks John, appreciate the response. I am just concern on the repair bills! =) But makes sense... My daughter's car lasted to 245k miles, a little honda civic, but that require minimal maintenance and parts were cheap. We all hear about how BMWs are so expensive to repair.

Have a great weekend sir!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Sooo ..... the biggest thing you have going for you is that you know the car and have taken great care of it.

It will go many more miles with some to be expected repairs ..... it's not worth much as a trade at this point so if you like it keep it imho ...
Yeah, I went to the BMW dealership where I get my service from, I was looking at the newer CPO BMWs and it was disappointing to hear that they value my car at $8000 as a trade in... I was like, WTH? They said, I had to many miles. My response, so this is the Ultimate Driving Machine and I'm being punished because I drove the car too much? lol

Also, they changed the way their CPO works. Before they would give you 3 year extension from the beginning of the manufacturer warranty or 100k miles, whichever comes first. Now they only extend it 2 years, but unlimited miles. Not worth the money to jump on a newer one just to have 2-3 year warranty. I was also told that services are no longer included, unless they are purchased in advanced, which they were included when I purchased my BMW.

I think this puppy will stay with me for longer than I expected.

Thanks for the information!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHBMW View Post
Thanks John, appreciate the response. I am just concern on the repair bills! =) But makes sense... My daughter's car lasted to 245k miles, a little honda civic, but that require minimal maintenance and parts were cheap. We all hear about how BMWs are so expensive to repair.

Have a great weekend sir!
Any car is expensive to repair. You can save a lot in labor charges by doing work yourself. But it is still cheaper to keep and repair the old one than to buy another. The 2014 328i with 67k miles is a keeper. And the Volvo V70 has 221k miles and I expect it to go 300k...or more.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
Any car is expensive to repair. You can save a lot in labor charges by doing work yourself. But it is still cheaper to keep and repair the old one than to buy another. The 2014 328i with 67k miles is a keeper. And the Volvo V70 has 221k miles and I expect it to go 300k...or more.
That is true John... thanks for the info!
Old 01-25-2019, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Read "Roundel", the monthly BMW club magazine. Much discussion about maintenance and repair. Not a member of the Club? Join.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:33 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Welcome to Bimmerfest, YHBMW! John MS, laser, and southcoastguy pretty much nailed it. Your F30 is a keeper; kudos to you for driving it in a spirited manner (as it was designed) and for maintaining it.

I did want to emphasize the value of BMW CCA membership, as southcoastguy alluded to in the previous post. Not only do you get Roundel, which includes Mike Miller's "Tech Talk" column, you'll have an opportunity to meet with other BMW car owners who can share maintenance and repair tips with you. Additionally, many of the larger chapters (such as National Capital Chapter, by far the largest in the U.S.) have DIY events at participating dealerships and independent shops.

Last edited by gkr778; 01-25-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
I have 106k miles on my 14 320. Just service as required, fix what breaks and youíll be fine. I really havenít had any breaks other than a persistent CEL, that is emissions related. My car is going back to BMW Tulsa on Tuesday for the 4th time, related to that issue. Otherwise, the car has been perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 01-29-2019, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i e60 5 serie
Iím at 118k miles, sheís been good to me. Keep it!

Old 05-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 2013 335i 02RSXMT 06ML350
My car is only at 90K miles but I plan to keep it as long as I can. It's more financially sensible to keep it than trade-in or private party sale because the depreciated value just sad. I prefer to just wait issues to pop up but keep an eye visible/audible items that get worse over time i.e. oil leaks, odd sounds, etc. The recent issues I had to deal with were: oil cooler leak, oil filter housing leak, valve cover gasket leak, bad fuel injector and coolant hose leak. Taking it to an indy helps but it's still expensive compared to common car expenses. Good luck!
Bought Oct'12: Munich made '13 F30 335i, RWD, AlpineWhite, Black Leather, M-Sport, DHP, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M 19" wheels, Sport Auto paddle shifters, Heated front seats, HK, Alum Hex Trim/Estoril Blue accent, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, Sunroof, Alarm
Mod: Tint 35%, intake grill guard, Bimmer America Coding. Nankang 235/40/R19 AS, G-Max AS05 255/35/R19
Pros: Power, drive, look, space, mpg
Cons: Depreciation, oil leak, crack plastic, melted door handles
104K mi Jul'20
Old 05-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWhybrew View Post
I have 106k miles on my 14 320. Just service as required, fix what breaks and youíll be fine. I really havenít had any breaks other than a persistent CEL, that is emissions related. My car is going back to BMW Tulsa on Tuesday for the 4th time, related to that issue. Otherwise, the car has been perfect.

What is the emission specific CEL issue?
Old 05-05-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
What is the emission specific CEL issue?

Itís a P2096 code. The dealer hasnít been able to diagnose it yet. Iíve had both catalytic converters replaced based on their diagnosis (misdiagnosis). The CEL remained. I clear it once it comes on. Sometimes it clears itself. The dealer said to keep driving it until something breaks, or the CEL wonít clear and identifies other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 05-05-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Itís a P2096 code. The dealer hasnít been able to diagnose it yet. Iíve had both catalytic converters replaced based on their diagnosis (misdiagnosis). The CEL remained. I clear it once it comes on. Sometimes it clears itself. The dealer said to keep driving it until something breaks, or the CEL wonít clear and identifies other issues.
That should be covered under Federal emission warranty, yes/no?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
That should be covered under Federal emission warranty, yes/no?

Iím not sure. I will ask. I had 106k miles when the problem started, and I took the car to the dealership. I believe the federal emissions warranty ran out at 100k miles. I will check my warranty details. I have 116k now.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Iím not sure. I will ask. I had 106k miles when the problem started, and I took the car to the dealership. I believe the federal emissions warranty ran out at 100k miles. I will check my warranty details. I have 116k now.

The federal emission coverage of catalytic converter is 8 years or 80000 miles, while the CA one(adopted by some states) lasts till 8 years or 100000 miles.

It may be worth talking to the warranty administrator and foremen at dealer, they may be able to get BMWNA to goodwill some of the costs.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive 6MT
Keep it. Find reputable BMW indy mechanic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search