Covid-19. Where's your head at on this??? - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 08:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
found this elsewhere...pretty stunning:

What an amazing coincidence... right?

Also explains why there is a 'china bioweapons' rumor circulating....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 04:17 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Without health professional advice, politicians are hysterics. Health professionals are trying to calm hysterics.

I am amused by the images of store shelves empty of cleaning / sanitizing products. What might those homes / bathrooms / kitchens and hands look like otherwise. Eewww!
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:15 AM
where da clutch at ?

Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
I believe it is relatively easy though fool hardy for a foreign power to infect a few people and send them out into the world OR to there "target country" no problems with weapons need to be smuggled, no need for air attack, or ships or tanks or armies
just send one person in, and BOOM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 06:19 AM
where da clutch at ?

The only thing I do or ever recommend is "HOT" soap and water. Hand sanni's kill good bacteria and bad
don't touch your eyes, wash your hands before eating or prepping food, use a condom (LOL)
drink lot's of water and for the placebo effect take vit c tablets
flu shot... although this year I didn't (not an anti-vaxxer- just didnt)
Old 03-06-2020, 06:23 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
"HOT" soap ... good bacteria
Heated water is for personal comfort only, it has no effect on cleaning power. Name a "good bacterium."

Physical and chemical effect of water is proportional to the Kelvin / Rankine absolute temperature.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-06-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:05 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
I believe it is relatively easy though fool hardy for a foreign power to infect a few people and send them out into the world OR to there "target country" no problems with weapons need to be smuggled, no need for air attack, or ships or tanks or armies
just send one person in, and BOOM
Right. Smart. Because viruses know they should not attack their home country....’

Sheesh...

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 03-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2019 440i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Name a “good bacterium.”
All of the species that make up your gut microbiome. Take a broad spec antibiotic that kills off that flora and you'll miss the little buggers, I promise you.

As far as that "Dean Koontz is Nostradamus" meme that's been going around, a couple of facts:

1) In the original version of The Eyes of Darkness, the virus was called "Gorky-400" because Koontz wrote the book in 1981 and the Soviet Union was the other superpower opposing the United States.

2) The bioweapon that Koontz imagines has an incubation period of 4 hours and a fatality rate of 100%. I think we can all agree that Covid-19 is pretty different from those figures.

3) That second passage about the "severe pneumonia-like illness" that spreads around the globe in 2020 isn't even from the Koontz novel. It comes from a 2008 book “End of Days: Predictions and Prophecies about the End of the World” by Sylvia Browne, an American author who claims to be a psychic.
2019 440i Coupe • ///M Sport Design • Mineral Grey Metallic • Black Dakota/Blue Stitched leather • Aluminum Dark Carbon/Pearl Gloss Chrome trim • Track Handling Package • Orbit Grey 398/Michelin PSS • Driving Assistance Package • Black Kidney Grilles • Stainless Steel Pedals • PCD 4/27/18
Old 03-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
All of the species that make up your gut microbiome. Take a broad spec antibiotic that kills off that flora and you'll miss the little buggers, I promise you.
That is why I asked "name', and not of ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommer, F; Bäckhed, F (April 2013).
"The gut microbiota-masters of host development and physiology". Nat Rev Microbiol. 11 (4): 227–38.

Abstract Establishing and maintaining beneficial interactions between the host and its associated microbiota are key requirements for host health. Although the gut microbiota has previously been studied in the context of inflammatory diseases, it has recently become clear that this microbial community has a beneficial role during normal homeostasis, modulating the host's immune system as well as influencing host development and physiology, including organ development and morphogenesis, and host metabolism. The underlying molecular mechanisms of host–microorganism interactions remain largely unknown, but recent studies have begun to identify the key signalling pathways of the cross-species homeostatic regulation between the gut microbiota and its host.
Full text follows.

https://moscow.sci-hub.tw/2070/8b589...sommer2013.pdf

Sci-hub hops paywalls.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-06-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:17 PM
where da clutch at ?

There is a place and a use for hand sanitizers, and it is OCCASIONAL or if your going say into a ICU, or around say a new born baby or around someone with compromised immunity. Most people should be using proper hygiene which they don't, ever sneeze into a hanky or on to your sleeve.. or just into your open hand.

Ever touch hard surfaces, use your phone while your taking a dump, use your computer keyboard or mouse, then rub your eye's , nose or mouth.. HELLO.....

Most people are fuqing pigs I've seen people come out of washrooms without even washing there hands. THAT'S the problem, I lock my keyboard and mouse away. People come into the office, coughing and sneezing and spread there shEt via the AC.

Hot water with soap, does the trick, that's what surgeons do, surely when they scrub up, they don't squirt hand sani on them right.

A lot of hand sanitizers are made with triclosan, tricolosan has been found to disrupt hormone function. It's also connected with the rise of "superbugs", bacteria and viruses that can resist antibiotics. The CDC announced one year that superbugs as a result of overuse of antibiotics was a serious threat and had caused over 23k deaths.

You also think your being super clean but your reducing your risk of getting sick when we use/over use hand sanitizers when they can actually weaken the immune system. Studies have shown that uber clean environments, particularly early in life-can contribute to reduced immune defenses later on in life, I also read somewhere that asthma is a side effect

I also remember reading somewhere that the FDA stated that there is no evidence that antibacterial soaps (and sanitizers) are any more effective than regular soap and warm water in helping to prevent the spread of germs and may actually even increase it. Think it had something to do with the products striping the skin of its natural oils which prevented bacteria from coming to the surface, therefore reducing the skin's own defenses.

Quote:
That is why I asked "name', and not of ...

Full text follows.

https://moscow.sci-hub.tw/2070/8b589...sommer2013.pdf

Sci-hub hops paywalls.

Last edited by jaye944; 03-06-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:23 PM
where da clutch at ?

your bonus for 50 points:
Hand sanitizers were invented by those and for thoes who work in the medical field.
it's important to keep hands free of bacteria and viruses especially in say hospitals to avoid spreading them from patient to patient.
Doctors and nurses are usually too rushed between patients to scrub up so therefore hand sanitizers work for that.
anyone else doesn't really need it

Last edited by jaye944; 03-06-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:30 PM
Nuclear engineer

My mask maker cashes in!

I use these every spring to prevent inhaling bugs.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...1&d=1583537276

My performance today - on vacation

https://cyclemeter.com/68ee671ab048e...306-0950-42556
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3D1DA034-6858-4293-A1D2-73DA65D4936E.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	884617  

Old 03-06-2020, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
College basketball tournaments are about to begin.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:03 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zod View Post
College basketball tournaments are about to begin.
The best seat in the house is a BarcaLounger with hot and cold running drinks.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
The best seat in the house is a BarcaLounger with hot and cold running drinks.
That web site you posted earlier looks like it has cooties:
https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-...s=186.2.163.90

****Update - definite cooties: https://www.iplocation.net/

IP Address Country Region City
186.2.163.90 Russian Federation Rostovskaya oblast' Rostov-na-Donu

What's the correct value for R0? How many people have been tested in the US?

Last edited by zod; 03-06-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:20 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
How many people have been tested in the US?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDC
COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*
Total cases: 164
Total deaths: 11
States reporting cases: 19
* Data include both confirmed [tested] and presumptive positive [symptoms] cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html
I am a bit disappointed, though not surprised, that our PhD microbiologist has not been along to describe PCR / ELISA testing, and how stupid is the idea of such testing of millions.. I tried and failed to determine the total number of Plate Readers of any size there are in the US. 96's (8 x 12) are the most common, while larger ones (348 or 1536) are used in screening applications. Then there is the question of qualified certified technicians / robots and how fast they can by procedure work.

Support and increase of this infrastructure may be the ultimate benefit and goal of the hysteria. How's Perkins Elmer stock doing?

ELISA overview from Thermo Fisher

https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/h...iew-elisa.html

I first got involved in ELISA and Western Blot testing for Lyme Disease testing as my home is in an area where Borrelia burgdorferi spirochete is extremely prevalent. Later, Microcystis Cyanobacteria algae toxins were demonstrated to not be removed by conventional community water treatment - when I thanked my lucky stars that I run my own deep well and water conditioner. During the Cyanobacteria outbreak is when I learned the cost of one Chinese sourced reagent at US$300 per microgram - used in the Microcystin ELISA reagent kit.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-07-2020 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:59 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
That web site you posted earlier looks like it has cooties:
https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-...s=186.2.163.90

****Update - definite cooties: https://www.iplocation.net/

IP Address Country Region City
186.2.163.90 Russian Federation Rostovskaya oblast' Rostov-na-Donu

What's the correct value for R0? How many people have been tested in the US?
Yes, Sci-Hub is very controversial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sci-Hub
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Elbakyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICE
Sci-Hub's site says it provides free access to over 78 million research articles by downloading HTML and PDF pages off the web, in some cases bypassing paywalls. Because of this, major scientific publishing companies-most prominently Elsevier-have repeatedly sued Sci-Hub for copyright infringement. Similarly, by disseminating PDFs from Sci-Hub, the coronavirus archive is in questionable legal territory.

Bender, Maddie (3 February 2020). "'It's a Moral Imperative:' Archivists Made a Directory of 5,000 Coronavirus Studies to Bypass Paywalls". Vice. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z...-coronaviruses

https://libgen.is/scimag/?q=Coronavirus

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-07-2020 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:38 AM
Nuclear engineer

AAAS Science Mag special issue Coronavirus article compendium

https://www.sciencemag.org/tags/coronavirus

Old 03-07-2020, 06:45 AM
Nuclear engineer

ELISA classroom demonstration

JHU 3 March update VIDEO

PCR animation
http://www.maxanim.com/genetics/PCR/PCR.htm

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-07-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, Sci-Hub is very controversial.
I said cooties not controversy. Cooties like this guy keeps track of:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/

Reasons to learn this I had.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:51 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
SARS and MERS coronaviruses are categorized as BSL-3 agents, so I have no reason to believe that Covid-19 would be any different.
CDC 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel
For Emergency Use Only
Instructions for Use

Perform all manipulations of live virus samples within a Class II (or higher) biological safety cabinet (BSC).

https://www.fda.gov/media/134922/download

Old 03-08-2020, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 18 X5M, retired 640i vert
Washington State, California and NYS all calling this a crisis...next step will be asking for piece of pie the Senate passed as coronavirus funds. Wait til they find out how much pork got baked inTo that 8 billion dollar appropriation....call me a skeptic and a a firm believer in these opportunists.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:55 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ijims View Post
Washington State, California and NYS all calling this a crisis...next step will be asking for piece of pie the Senate passed as coronavirus funds. Wait til they find out how much pork got baked inTo that 8 billion dollar appropriation....call me a skeptic and a a firm believer in these opportunists.
Why not call it Trickle-down Economics, that work best when the trickle is from the highest level possible - like from NASA to the tour bus drivers at Canaveral.

Here the money starts with some division of Big Pharma and trickles down through reagent manufacturing (needs to be in the US!), to the state laboratories to the qualified technicians and their certifying schools.

I just spent a half-hour looking for a 12.5 mm 350 nm UV lens for my favorite work light flashlight to improve my cleaning practices. So far what I've found costs about 4X my flashlight.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-08-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:31 PM

In the Trickle category:
Old 03-09-2020, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 440i Coupe
Quote:
CDC 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel
For Emergency Use Only
Instructions for Use

Perform all manipulations of live virus samples within a Class II (or higher) biological safety cabinet (BSC).

https://www.fda.gov/media/134922/download
Covid-19 is a BSL-3 organism, by definition.

Quote:
BSL-3 builds upon the containment requirements of BSL-2. If you work in a lab that is designated BSL-3, the microbes there can be either indigenous or exotic, and they can cause serious or potentially lethal disease through respiratory transmission. Respiratory transmission is the inhalation route of exposure. One example of a microbe that is typically worked with in a BSL-3 laboratory is Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the bacteria that causes tuberculosis.
Quote:
Specific Guidelines

Virus isolation in cell culture and initial characterization of viral agents recovered in cultures of SARS-CoV-2 specimens are NOT recommended at this time, except in a BSL3 laboratory using BSL3 work practices.
Sources (since certain people believe that you can't provide authoritative info without a Google-searched weblink):
https://www.cdc.gov/training/QuickLearns/biosafety/
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...uidelines.html

The only reason why governments would suggest cutting corners and easing restrictions to allow any lab with a Class II hood to work with the virus, is because BSL-3 labs aren't super common, and they need all hands on deck to search for any treatment options. You also can't expect every facility conducting tests of human pathological samples for the virus to have a BSL-3 lab.
2019 440i Coupe • ///M Sport Design • Mineral Grey Metallic • Black Dakota/Blue Stitched leather • Aluminum Dark Carbon/Pearl Gloss Chrome trim • Track Handling Package • Orbit Grey 398/Michelin PSS • Driving Assistance Package • Black Kidney Grilles • Stainless Steel Pedals • PCD 4/27/18
Old 03-11-2020, 04:20 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

If only we could build bigger walls...

"A top Department of Homeland Security official says US travel restrictions to Europe are 'under discussion'"

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/polit...ope/index.html

Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search