Covid-19. Where's your head at on this??? - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 04:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Real science:
Fauci responded that while 80 percent of those infected would get only mildly sick and quickly recover, roughly 15 percent “will get into trouble,” and the mortality rate in that group is “very high.”

“But Sean, to make sure your viewers get an accurate idea about what goes on, you mentioned seasonal flu,” he continued. “The mortality for seasonal flu is 0.1 [percent]. The mortality for this is about two, two-and-a-half percent. It’s probably lower than that, it’s probably closer to one. But even if it’s one, it’s 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu. You gotta make sure that people understand that!”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dr-fauci-...025952508.html

Week old mortality rates by age group here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus...rding_covid19/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2020, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 sDrive28i
As a Dodge Challenger owner and muscle car enthusiast, I was planning to attend the largest annual Mopar event held on the west coast (SpringFest 15) next week, but the organizers postponed it indefinitely as a Coronavirus precaution. I'm disappointed but I understand the reasons behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SF#15.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	885069  
Old 03-11-2020, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: E60 530xi
Covid-19. Where's your head at on this???

I just overheard on the radio that as of Friday the 13th the United States will be banning travel to European countries for 1 month. The first thing I thought was, how will this affect our abilities to get parts for our cars. I haven’t looked into this at all since I just heard about but would we still be able to get parts? If it’s just travel that’s one thing but it didn’t say anything about cargo.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Last edited by donato_r; 03-11-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato_r View Post
I just overheard on the radio that as of Friday the 13th the United States will be banning travel to European countries for 1 month. The first thing I thought was, how will this affect our abilities to get parts for our cars. I haven’t looked into this at all since I just heard about but would we still be able to get parts? If it’s just travel that’s one thing but it didn’t say anything about cargo.

What about the supply chains for med's you need?
Old 03-11-2020, 09:51 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I listened to the presidents announcement.

It was very unclear as to what he was stopping coming from Europe. He SAID:

Quote:
"These restrictions will be adjusted subject to conditions on the ground. There will be exemptions for Americans who have undergone appropriate screenings and these prohibitions will not only apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo, but various other things as we get approval. Anything coming from Europe to the United States is what we are discussing. These restrictions will also not apply to the United Kingdom."
[CNN Editor's note: The White House has since clarified that the ban "only applies to human beings, not goods and cargo."]

WTF. He is reading a script and they get it wrong...requiring a correction within minutes. Looking at the text, perhaps it was just his reading 'problem', inserting a 'not' where it wasnt? They ad-libbing a bit? Whatever.

Shutting off some people from Europe is a classic barn door move, IMO. But will certainly generate a ton of distraction from the real issues in our governments' handling of this crisis.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

Last edited by ard; 03-11-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: E60 530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I listened to the presidents announcement.

It was very unclear as to what he was stopping coming from Europe. He SAID:

[CNN Editor's note: The White House has since clarified that the ban "only applies to human beings, not goods and cargo."]

WTF. He is reading a script and they get it wrong...requiring a correction within minutes. Looking at the text, perhaps it was just his reading 'problem', inserting a 'not' where it wasnt? They ad-libbing a bit? Whatever.

Shutting off some people from Europe is a classic barn door move, IMO. But will certainly generate a ton of distraction from the real issues in our governments' handling of this crisis.

Can you post the article link?

Owning a BMW is always interesting
Old 03-12-2020, 02:37 AM

Mein Auto: 18 X5M, retired 640i vert
Radio...what's is that? Does not cover goods and trade. Posting attachments even pictures on this site is problematic. Any news feed will give you what you want
Old 03-12-2020, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto:
Does anyone know if there are plans to postpone/cancel bimmerfest in Fontana CA in May? I really want to go this year!
Old 03-12-2020, 04:13 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalker94 View Post
Does anyone know if there are plans to postpone/cancel bimmerfest in Fontana CA in May? I really want to go this year!
The hysteria pandemic will be over by May.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:

He did a pretty good job of staying on script and he didn't come unhinged.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
If you can put that into falsifiable terms, we can do a bet. Predictions require a certain amount of rigor do they not?

https://www.edge.org/conversation/ph...asting-class-i

Here's a tracker for how testing is scaling in the US. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ing-in-us.html

The wheel is spinning - there could be many outcomes.

Last edited by zod; 03-12-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:05 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

A few times Ive heard reporters say "The virus that causes COVID-19".

Even read it on a CDC website.

Thats incorrect, right? Seems a vestige of the old 'virus that causes AIDS'

Am I wrong?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 03-12-2020, 10:24 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Quote:
New York (CNN Business)As the coronavirus pandemic gripped the country over the last several weeks, television viewers — especially those supportive of President Donald Trump —- had one place they could go to for some sense of solace: Fox News.
"If you are over the mass hysteria, if you're over politicizing and weaponizing of the coronavirus, you are not alone," Sean Hannity, the highest-rated host on Fox News, assured the network's prime time audience this week.
Indeed, over the past several weeks, top hosts and personalities on the conservative cable news network downplayed concerns about the virus, baselessly accusing credible news organizations of overhyping the crisis to hurt Trump politically.
At other times, Fox News hosts and personalities pointed to the death toll of the seasonal flu, misleading the network's audience into thinking that the coronavirus was receiving more attention because it is novel, while the flu in fact kills more Americans and was, thus, more dangerous and cause for alarm.
That's not to say that some of the coverage on Fox News was not straightforward. The network has had a number of reporters in the field assigned to cover the coronavirus, and shows have hosted various doctors who have provided sound medical advice. Harris Faulkner, for example, hosted a special with four doctors on her program earlier this week. Additionally, some personalities have taken the situation seriously from the start.
But a significant part of Fox News' coverage had been aimed toward framing the response to coronavirus as unwarranted hysteria. The often-dismissive messaging from Fox News hosts was particularly notable, given that, like other cable news channels, the viewers who make up the network's audience skew older and are, thus, the most vulnerable to the disease. The remarks from the hosts also raise concern given how much influence figures like Hannity wield over Trump, especially since Trump recycled some of those very talking points on Twitter and when speaking with the press to initially dismiss the public health crisis.

By Thursday, after Trump addressed the nation from the Oval Office and the seriousness of the crisis settled in with millions of Americans, it was clear some Fox News hosts and personalities started taking the matter far more seriously. But still, others have continued to pollute the airwaves with misleading information.
Hannity on Wednesday night, after Trump's speech, acknowledged on his program that the coronavirus poses "a lot of serious risks and a lot of serious challenges." He noted that "in serious situations, truth matters, facts matter." But in the very same episode that he made those comments, the Fox News host continued to mislead his audience.
Hannity contrasted the novel coronavirus fatality numbers with those of the seasonal flu, despite knowing that the novel virus' mortality rate is significantly higher. Hannity knew it was a misleading comparison because the night before on his program Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told him that the coronavirus is at least 10-times more lethal than influenza.
Meanwhile, throughout all of Fox News' coverage, Fox Corporation, the parent company of the network, has taken the matter seriously. The company has restricted all non-essential travel. And, in a Thursday email obtained by CNN Business, Fox News Media CEO Suzanne Scott and President and Executive Editor Jay Wallace announced several sweeping measures to protect employees, including asking staff able to work from home to do so starting Monday.
A Fox News spokesperson declined to comment for this story.
"Another attempt to impeach the President"
A top messaging tactic Fox News hosts employed in recent weeks to alleviate fear over the coronavirus was to tell viewers that credible news organizations have over-torqued their coverage in a bid to harm Trump politically.
The main thrust of the conspiracy theory was that journalists are intentionally trying to create panic in the markets with frenzied coverage to sink the economy and hurt Trump's chances of re-election.
"This is yet another attempt to impeach the President," declared Fox Business host Trish Regan Monday night next to an on-air graphic on the screen that read "CORONAVIRUS IMPEACHMENT SCAM."

"Many in the liberal media using -- and I mean using -- coronavirus in an attempt to demonize and destroy the President."

"The hate is boiling over," Regan added. "Many in the liberal media using -- and I mean using -- coronavirus in an attempt to demonize and destroy the President."
Huh, go figure.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:54 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
A few times Ive heard reporters say "The virus that causes COVID-19". Even read it on a CDC website. Thats incorrect, right? Seems a vestige of the old 'virus that causes AIDS'. Am I wrong?
The virus is not the disease.

A disease is a syndrome with an identified cause. A syndrome is a common set of symptoms without an identified cause.

Note that the symptoms are commonly used to identify the disease; fever, cough, shortness of breath. These are common to most upper respiratory infections by fungi, bacteria or viruses[sic].

The identification of the virus is much more subtle and indirect. I believe in this case it was by comparison with SARS-CoV immunology, hence the virus identification SARS-CoV-2.

Compare and contrast Coronavirus diseases with Influenzavirus[sic] diseases. Keep calm and carry on.

I just realized that I have not seen an objective level of fever determinant of the disease, given the wide variation of normal body temperature and variation in human temperature measurement.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-13-2020 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:18 AM
Nuclear engineer

Does anyone recall any other incidences of mass hysteria, and its causes and effects and end?

The Wikipedia has listed at the Mass Hysteria article, " Coronavirus(2020, Ongoing) - In the wake of the Coronavirus many people began purchasing large amounts of masks, hand sanitizers, and toilet paper."

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-13-2020 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:23 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Exclamation

A Chilling Preview of What WILL Come...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/i...050009137.html
Old 03-13-2020, 08:42 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

I was listening to a story from Italy...Doctors and hospitals deciding on who will die: 45 yo mom with two kids? Save her. Grandma and grandpa? Sorry.

The USA stockpile on ventilators is 50,000 units.

The focusing on the 'hysteria'...and Fox News running stories from people who had CV and it 'was no big deal' ... seem to be purposeful...

People just don't understand how many people there are ... everywhere...we walk around the house...our computer.... drive to the store... and think that defines the world. No matter how many times they hear it, if 4-5% of infected people need hospital, our brains simply do not grasp what this means.

Is the hoarding of Toilet paper a 'hysterical response'? Absolutely. Is the spreading Coronavirus pandemic- and the need to take action- a 'hysteria'? Of course not. It is mind boggling that anyone can look at Wuhan, at Italy, at Iran, and shrug - and declares "oh its just hysteria".

And even saying 'yes, its a mass pandemic, yes millions will die, but people are being hysterical and they shouldn't" is just trollish.

( I wonder who the Wiki editor was that created that entry.....)

Old 03-13-2020, 08:43 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Arrow No Fear Mongering Just FACTS

Take this seriously. Coronavirus is about to change your life for a while...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/polit...m_source=fbCNN
Old 03-13-2020, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 440i Coupe
Quote:
I was listening to a story from Italy...Doctors and hospitals deciding on who will die: 45 yo mom with two kids? Save her. Grandma and grandpa? Sorry.

The USA stockpile on ventilators is 50,000 units.
Exactly. And the number of ICU beds in the US is ~100,000.

But sure, we should probably listen to those people who are still telling us this is all "mass hysteria" and things will be back to normal in a month and a half. Those will be the people begging their prepared friends and neighbors for supplies when store shelves really start getting bare over the next couple of weeks. Or worse, if those doing this type of scoffing are 70+ years old, they might be gasping for their last breaths waiting for a ventilator that they are never going to be placed on, because we may have to triage cases in the same manner as Italy should things get bad enough.

The most insidious thing about this virus is the relatively mild symptoms it causes in many of the younger individuals that it infects. So they continue about their daily routines, either completely unaware that they are sick, or convinced they have nothing worse than a mild cold. Meanwhile, they are capable of infecting anyone they come into close contact with. Experts in epidemiology are currently estimating that there are anywhere from 50,000 to 500,000 infected people in the US. We simply haven't yet tested enough people to have a better statistical grasp on the figures.

Does anyone truly believe that multi-billion dollar businesses like the NBA, NHL, PGA, NCAA, Disney, etc. are shutting down operations based on a hunch, or because their CEOs and boards have blindly succumbed to "mass hysteria"? That's an utterly ignorant view.
2019 440i Coupe • ///M Sport Design • Mineral Grey Metallic • Black Dakota/Blue Stitched leather • Aluminum Dark Carbon/Pearl Gloss Chrome trim • Track Handling Package • Orbit Grey 398/Michelin PSS • Driving Assistance Package • Black Kidney Grilles • Stainless Steel Pedals • PCD 4/27/18
Old 03-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Nuclear engineer

They are afraid of being sued for violating the 97% consensus.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Spot on my friend. Spot on.

I will be quite happy to admit I was wrong in 6 weeks. Very happy.

Sadly, I think not.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 440i Coupe
Quote:
I will be quite happy to admit I was wrong in 6 weeks. Very happy.

Sadly, I think not.
I will also gladly endure any and all "toldja so" comments at that time.

But sadly don't think I'll have to.
2019 440i Coupe • ///M Sport Design • Mineral Grey Metallic • Black Dakota/Blue Stitched leather • Aluminum Dark Carbon/Pearl Gloss Chrome trim • Track Handling Package • Orbit Grey 398/Michelin PSS • Driving Assistance Package • Black Kidney Grilles • Stainless Steel Pedals • PCD 4/27/18
Old 03-13-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
But sadly don't think I'll have to.
Roger that. NY is expected to have a tough 60 days.

Here's something contains scientific information on the subject:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus...rding_covid19/

The president's speech this afternoon still had some inaccuracies.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:57 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Thumbs up

Great illustration...

Old 03-13-2020, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Covid-19. Where's your head at on this???

Being part of a family that is heavily career involved in both public education and healthcare, I appreciate anything that slows it down. South Carolina and many other states are on the verge of shutting down for 10+ days if not the remaining days of the school year.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search