Covid-19. Where's your head at on this??? - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Flatten the curve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

The attached file has the scientific basis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Systemic_Risk_of_Pandemic_via_Novel_Path.pdf (84.8 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2020, 03:28 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zod View Post
Flatten the curve: ... The attached file has the scientific basis
It does not.

That said, would that everyone was conversant with N. N. Taleb's work on risk. For instance, his work is the root of my frequent use of the fragile, robust, anti-fragile paradigm. "AGM batteries are fragile to overcharge."
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-14-2020 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:40 AM
Nuclear engineer

A common recommendation is to the use of ethanol alcohol based sanitizers against viruses. The -OH functional group defines the alcohols and much of their effect. Has any one investigated mere water's effect on the Coronavirus, water disassociates to -OH and +H / +H3O.

Hypothetic irony, it's a plot to shift economic centers of influence, including more demand for ethanol produced by Midwest corn farmers refineries.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2020, 07:45 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Laughing. People are in a panic mode, crazy reactions, buying everything in the grocery store as if the world is coming to an end. Churches cancel their Sunday services so I ask, when is Jesus coming to save his people from fear? Where is your faith? World leaders are pumping up more uncertainties than trying to keep people calm. People are complaining that their lives are displaced. They can't travel. They have to baby sit their kids because schools are closed. Sorry, your lives cannot be normal if there is a virus going around, affecting many people around the world. Medical professional are not helping by providing inconsistent opinions that instill fear so they can have their 5 minutes of fame . How do you get through this coronavirus? Use common sense. Stay calm, minimize social contacts, disinfect common surfaces, wash your hands. Now is the best time to take that road trip. Have fun.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:09 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Now is the best time to take that road trip. Have fun.
I’m 1,000 miles from home. Off to have FINAL airbag replacement at BMW Ocala Monday.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:43 AM

The Good Judgment Project is offering a CV-19 forecasting tournament:
https://www.gjp2.org/
Old 03-14-2020, 08:59 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Interesting article.

People are saying 'oh china is good now? Maybe we will be OK"

We are ****ed.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Worth the read....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 03-14-2020, 09:08 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Interesting article. People are saying 'oh china is good now? Maybe we will be OK". We are ****ed. https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/.... Worth the read....
LOL. Saw that at the Wikipedia where any one can publish, just like Medium.
Quote:
WRITTEN BY
Tomas Pueyo, MSc in Engineering. Stanford MBA. Ex-Consultant. Creator of viral applications with >20M users. Currently leading a billion-dollar business @ Course Hero
You can find anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.

So now we know who created the Corona viral. I'm inoculating myself with Cerveza Corona Premium for lunch here in a moment.

So, why are not water based ethanol infused beverages effective sanitizers?

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-14-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Interesting article.

People are saying 'oh china is good now? Maybe we will be OK"

We are ****ed.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Worth the read....
Thanks - I'll send that around

‘Saying the coronavirus panic is dumb is dumb.’— Nassim Nicholas Taleb
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ta...umb-2020-03-07

Last edited by zod; 03-14-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 18 X5M, retired 640i vert
The russians are coming!! The russians are coming!!
Old 03-14-2020, 03:42 PM
Nuclear engineer

I have been using sanitizing wipes for some years now, and packaged as Baby Wipes for the BMW X5. I looked at the ingredients today to see - Ta da! - PG-AmoDimethicone.

Quote:
Gentle ingredients: Water, Phenoxyethanol, Aloe ... , Capryl glycol, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl betane, Butoxy PEG-4 PG-AmoDimethicone, Fragrance, Malic acid, Sodium citrate, Tocopherol acetate.
I buy Clorox sanitizing wipes in 6-packs, generic sodium hypochlorite by the gallon, Hibiclens chlorhexidine gluconate by the gallon, pharmaceutical hydrogen peroxide by the gallon, sodium perchlorate by the 10#, ...

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-14-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:03 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post

I buy Clorox sanitizing wipes in 6-packs, generic sodium hypochlorite by the gallon, Hibiclens chlorhexidine gluconate by the gallon, pharmaceutical hydrogen peroxide by the gallon, sodium perchlorate by the 10#, ...
Do you run an Ebola clinic or something?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 03-15-2020, 03:44 AM
Nuclear engineer

Cleanliness is next to Godliness, and I keep a clean house, body and mind. Unfortunately we are traveling on ten weeks bicycling vacation and this is NOT my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wesley
Let it be observed, that slovenliness is no part of religion; that neither this, nor any text of Scripture, condemns neatness of apparel. Certainly this is a duty, not a sin. Cleanliness is indeed next to godliness. (Sermon 93 On Dress.) Compare: "Cleanness of body was ever deemed to proceed from a due reverence to God", Francis Bacon, Advancement of Learning, Book ii (1605)

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-15-2020 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:21 AM
Nuclear engineer

Aerosol and surface stability of HCoV-19 (SARS-CoV-2) compared to SARS-CoV-1

Aerosol and surface stability of HCoV-19 (SARS-CoV-2) compared to SARS-CoV-1

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...217v1.full.pdf

Old 03-15-2020, 04:23 AM
Nuclear engineer

The Math of Epidemics

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/...-of-epidemics/

Old 03-15-2020, 05:37 AM
Nuclear engineer

CoViD-19. Where’s your head at on this???

Feed your head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kalkbrenner
One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

Go ask Alice
I think she'll know
Remember what the dormouse said
Feed your head

Feed your head.

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah-smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small.

Go ask Alice
I think she'll know
Remember what the dormouse said
Feed your head
Feed your head

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head
Remember what the Dormouse said
Feed your head
Feed your head

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-15-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:27 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Somebody's need tasting the shrooms I see....

Old 03-15-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Somebody's need tasting the shrooms I see....

That paper you posted received a nice endorsement: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lfwu2010/
Old 03-15-2020, 12:20 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol..._npd_nn_fb_mtp
Old 03-15-2020, 12:45 PM
Nuclear engineer

I found a datum that I had been seeking, the limiting speed of RT-PCR testing. The ABI 7500Fast Dx is capable of up to five 96-well plates per day. IAW CDC 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel, 12 wells are required for a test panel, so eight tests per plate, or forty(40) tests per day!

https://www.thermofisher.com/order/c...06985#/4406985

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-15-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:54 PM
The Entertainment Guru

*Sharing*

Here is something from a real doctor.

From an ER doctor in Texas, Cara Novell...

"I know I've been uncharacteristically silent about the coronavirus, but I've had enough at this point. The number of people who call this "media hysteria" or a "political hoax" or want to point out the mortality rates of the flu, cancer, or obesity...do you want to come work my shifts????

Do you want to expose yourself to patients in respiratory failure day after day? When we run out of ICU beds and vents, do you want the responsibility of telling your mom, dad, aunts, uncles, friends, and family that I can't intubate them because we just don't have the resources? Do you want to tell the kids of 30 and 40 year old patients that their parent is going to die and we can't do anything to stop it?

Do you want to look at the parents of a 20 something year old and tell them their previously healthy son or daughter might not survive? Because these are REAL possibilities. This is ACTUALLY what is happening around the world.

This American superiority complex of "it's just not going to affect me the same way" is gross. There have been multiple projections that this could infect 40-70% of the population. While it's hard to extrapolate accurate predictions, that should concern you. It shouldn't make you hysterical and run to doomsday prep, but it should make you want to be a part of the solution in decreasing the spread. Because kids aren't dying I think people feel protected.

Kids less than 10 aren't dying. People in their 20s and 30s are in respiratory failure and ARE dying. These are not elderly people with lots of medical problems that have had the chance to live full lives. These are young and previously healthy people. Yes, the elderly are more likely. But the young and healthy ARE NOT IMMUNE.

Why is this such a big deal when we've already been seeing people with the flu? RESOURCES. Over the past few months we have already spent many days at capacity, boarding patients including ICU patients in the ER. We don't suddenly have a bigger ER, more floors to admit patients to, or more staff to take care of this influx. We have the same resources now with a second deadly virus. For estimated 80% getting sick this is like a cold. For the other 20% they're either significantly sick, or eventually dead!!!!

Yes, cancer kills more. Yes, obesity related illness kills more. When taking care of my obese patients I don't have to worry I'm going to "catch diabetes" or that suddenly my coronaries will be blocked. Their BMI can't be transmitted to me through the air. Lung cancer isn't contagious. I'm not worried about catching lung cancer when intubating these patients in respiratory failure. I'm vaccinated against the flu, and I can protect myself from flu patients with a simple surgical mask.

Patients coming into the ER want the best, EVERYTHING to be done, and for it to happen quickly. And more often than not, we deliver on that. We're going to have a different reality if we don't have rapid containment. Everything is going to be far from an option for most patients, and I'm not looking forward to the potential ethically crushing choices we might have to make.

Italy SHUT DOWN THEIR COUNTRY. Italy isn't drastically impacting their economy, tourism, education, and way of life because they care about our presidential election. They are doing it because their citizens are dying. This isn't a hoax. This isn't just the cold. And I don't care if more people by the numbers have already died of the flu. (Actually I very much care-GET VACCINATED). This is a big ****ing deal. Open your eyes and pay attention. Your American immune system is not equipped with special corona fighting antibodies that just skipped over other countries. And more importantly, your healthcare system that already didn't have enough doctors doesn't suddenly have a surplus of doctors.

While you have the option (THAT YOU SHOULD TAKE) to stay at home and decrease the likelihood of you being a vector, when you do get sick, guess who is still working? Your nurses, doctors, pharmacists, hospital support staff, EMS, police...we don't have the option to stay at home and protect ourselves and our families. The consensus among myself and other docs is and expectation of not if, but when, we get sick. People that have no lung problems are developing respiratory and multi system organ failure, and dying. We know that could be us. And we aren't just being exposed at the airport or the grocery store or at a concert venue...we are being DIRECTLY exposed to the sickest patients.

And without the resources to protect ourselves. The public has stock piled N95 masks to an extent our masks are LOCKED away and we have to have approval to use them. Because we WILL run out. The protective recommendations by the CDC recently became more relaxed...and let's be totally transparent. This is not because the transmission has slowed or COVID is less virulent. It's because we cannot meet a higher standard. We cannot provide our healthcare workers with better protection because we simply don't have it.
And I'm so fortunate to work in a resource rich hospital with what I consider exceptional leadership. I see people busting ass to try to keep us safe and informed, but under the context of a rapidly evolving situation with not enough supplies, people, and space to manage the consequences.

I've also heard the theories that the doctors that died in China were given amphetamines and worked days at a time. That exhaustion weakened their immunity. As we go through cycles of quarantine, who do you think is going to be on back up? Who do you think will be covering those extra shifts and putting in more hours? While we won't be pumped full of amphetamines, someone will have to be there.

So if you're one of the people that keeps laughing at the "hysteria," keeps comparing it to more deadly disease, thinks that somehow you're special and it's going to skip over you...you're not special and your immune system isn't unique.

Take the current pandemic seriously. Stay home and don't be a walking vector. Find a hobby, read some books, spring clean your house, make some new recipes, clear your DVR. You don't need to panic and build a bunker, but don't be an asshole. Stop buying protective supplies that puts those of us on the front line at high risk. Stop buying all the toilet paper. Covid doesn't cause massive diarrhea. Our water supply is not contaminated. You don't need to stock pile bottled water. Don't go to the ER "because you just wanted to be checked out" when you're not actually sick.

You risk exposing yourself and frankly, you're pulling us away from the patients that actually need us. And realize that when this gets worse, we are working as hard as we can to do the best we possibly can. Be patient and kind to your first responders."
Old 03-15-2020, 02:10 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Feds slash rates to zero!!!

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/15/...mpression=true

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 03-15-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:46 PM
Nuclear engineer

LOL. We are 83, 81 (my wife), 73, and 71 (me), on ten weeks vacation, bicycling, from still frozen Wisconsin in central Florida. I rode forty miles in three hours today.

https://cyclemeter.com/68ee671ab048e...315-0851-27917

https://cyclemeter.com/ea04026ccc254...315-0926-28953

I don't believe in AGW hysteria and I don't believe in dumb mass hysteria pandemic.

The picture was taken after our (rightmost and me next) 200 mile ride from home. Phil, leftmost, is retired MD. He has two new hips and a new knee. Next has a new shoulder due to BICYCLE fall 3 years ago. I'm fully intact as far as I can tell. Milady Wife had a stroke 28 January and is fully 110% recovered (cranial artery stent for a ten years old brain injury).

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...1&d=1584308970
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C754D079-396B-43B2-8E15-F957CA93CFD0.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	885421  

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-15-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:33 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zod View Post
That paper you posted received a nice endorsement: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lfwu2010/
Elsewhere, right wingers are tearing it apart- declaring it the work of “some marketing guy”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
LOL. We are 83, 81 (my wife), 73, and 71 (me), on ten weeks vacation, bicycling, from still frozen Wisconsin in central Florida. I rode forty miles in three hours today.

[snip]
Think of it this way:

We- that is everyone that is social distancing and seeking to break/limit transmission chain- are doing this SO THAT YOU CAN BE SELFISH and continue to run around.

Doug, honestly, this is like pointing to a grandfather that smoked 80 pack-years before he was taken out on a skateboard and saying ‘see, smoking doesn’t cause lung cancer’.

Don’t confuse your individual behavior with the reality of what is happening here and elsewhere. After all, there were people running around having unprotected sex during the HIV epidemic, saying it was all a hoax.

I suspect you will have a lot of words to eat. If you are right, I will buy lunch. If I am right, leave $20 in your will.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
People are relatively calm around here, being one of the epicenters of US outbreak.

In contrast to other's lock down approach, UK chooses a herd immunity approach, namely, they plan to have 60-70% of its population infected, hence building up immunity. At the same time the elders and vulnerable people will be isolated and protected to reduce load on healthcare system.

It seems UK has lots of faith in NHS.

At the same time, it appears Gilead(a local company) drug is ramping up production, and it may provide treatment to severe cases.

Doug's approach is valid. It probably is more about one's biological age than chronological age to beat off this virus(and stress and medical conditions decrease one's biological age).

China's risk group is over 65 male smokers, in contrast the US risk group is over 45 obese folks(50%+ of that demographics?!?).

It looks like Doug is not in US risk group(as far as this virus is concerned).

Looking at South Korea's experience, the peak can arrive, and then pass, quickly, overwhelming medical systems.

The key is to slow down the spread. In that regard the UK's herd immunity experiment is critical, if that's successful, the hysteria will subside.
Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search