Driving during Novel Corona virus - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-26-2020, 12:49 AM
satyaban satyaban is offline
Barely in control
Location: The East
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Driving during Novel Corona virus

I started this thread because driving conditions are very different these days what with people self-isolating the roads are quite vacant.

As I have mentioned on other threads, I like going out in the early hours to get my speed fix. With this virus and the happy time starts much earlier. I just got home a while ago (as I write it is 3:30 am) and the joy of cruising in excess of 100 mph is still lingering. For instance I was running at 100, dual clutch transmission, in 6th gear and mashed the pedal and the car down shifted to 4th and continued accelerating but I eased off at 124 mph while in 5th gear knowing I could not exceed 130 mph.
I sure would like to hear comments from others who are using these times to exercise their skills and get their thrills driving our machines.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-26-2020, 02:10 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is online now
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15,960
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Yesterday, ~1500 on I-285 around Atlanta in absolutely normal heavy traffic, on CC at 90+ MPH from I-75 to I-75 northbound. For a while there was a 1er badly modded ducking and dodging trying to look fast.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-26-2020, 04:54 AM
bocabimmer's Avatar
bocabimmer bocabimmer is offline
Found the Search Button
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,748
Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i, 2014 i3
Before things got shut down, I bought everything I needed to do the OFHG gasket. Spent my time working on that.

Were pretty much shut down here. Now I can take the car out with virtually no traffic at all. Im realizing that South Florida roads are boring even when there arent any cars on them... theyre all straight lines and flat.
__________________

2014 i3 BEV

2007 328i (E92) - Sold
2013 X5 35i (E70) - Sold
2014 i3 BEV - Lease return
2006 325i (E90) - Sold
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-26-2020, 05:02 AM
dharmabmw dharmabmw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ottawa, Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,319
Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
The upside is that it's easier to find parking. I am in a job deemed essential, so I'm still working outside of home. Still washing my hands.
__________________
2006 E61 MT
2010 E91 MT
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-26-2020, 03:04 PM
satyaban satyaban is offline
Barely in control
Location: The East
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
Before things got shut down, I bought everything I needed to do the OFHG gasket. Spent my time working on that.

Were pretty much shut down here. Now I can take the car out with virtually no traffic at all. Im realizing that South Florida roads are boring even when there arent any cars on them... theyre all straight lines and flat.
Too bad about the flat straight roads but this shut down does create time for maintenance.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-26-2020, 03:16 PM
satyaban satyaban is offline
Barely in control
Location: The East
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabmw View Post
The upside is that it's easier to find parking. I am in a job deemed essential, so I'm still working outside of home. Still washing my hands.
My housemate has an "essential" job and I make sure he washes thoroughly upon entering the house. I am retired and wash my hands frequently even when I don't leave my house. Hell, I don't even mind washing dishes. I am so glad I am retired but age comes with it, old age I mean.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-27-2020, 10:32 AM
CALWATERBOY TRE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY TRE CALWATERBOY TRE is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fog City, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,981
Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyaban View Post
I started this thread because driving conditions are very different these days what with people self-isolating the roads are quite vacant.

Monday I'd of said you was right.

Today, well, nothing keeps California drivers down fer long. Aggressive road warriors are back and traffic's thickening.

Huge pleasure while it lasted; maybe the media's recent bad new blitz'll tamp it down some.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-27-2020, 11:08 AM
ctuna ctuna is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,902
Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
If you are on the highway here in Cali .
I notice the number of aggressive speeders is way
up and I am talking way beyond the traffic average
or 70 to 75 that most of us drive at .
Also a lot of distracted people just sitting at lights when
they turn green.
I was driving on 101 between San Jose and San Mateo
Wednesday it was raining an there where a lot of big trucks
(not semis)
and SUV's driving like they where running away from a
nuclear blast the density was low but people where driving
like idiots.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-27-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-27-2020, 11:49 AM
satyaban satyaban is offline
Barely in control
Location: The East
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY TRE View Post
Monday I'd of said you was right.

Today, well, nothing keeps California drivers down fer long. Aggressive road warriors are back and traffic's thickening.

Huge pleasure while it lasted; maybe the media's recent bad new blitz'll tamp it down some.
I know, there is only one news source on the entire planet who is reporting the truth about this. Some say it is a "hoax" but this is a conspiracy by scientists and doctors. I am enjoying it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-27-2020, 11:57 AM
satyaban satyaban is offline
Barely in control
Location: The East
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
If you are on the highway here in Cali .
I notice the number of aggressive speeders is way
up and I am talking way beyond the traffic average
or 70 to 75 that most of us drive at .
Also a lot of distracted people just sitting at lights when
they turn green.
I was driving on 101 between San Jose and San Mateo
Wednesday it was raining an there where a lot of big trucks
(not semis)
and SUV's driving like they where running away from a
nuclear blast the density was low but people where driving
like idiots.
We don't have many people here not self isolating and there aren't many on the roads and fewer driving like me. The trucks and semis I encounter do not appear to go faster than 80 mph.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is online now
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15,960
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Just drove I-65 from Indianapolis to Chicago at 80+ MPH on the CC. I saw 100+ a few times making sure particularly bad drivers crashed behind me, 110 once. No cops. 22 MPG dirty with bikes in the windstream

OTR drivers were busy being anus holes three lanes wide at their regulated speed limits. Cops no where to be seen. Around Chicago the left most lane was almost free flowing at CC 80 MPH.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-27-2020, 12:36 PM
satyaban satyaban is offline
Barely in control
Location: The East
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Just drove I-65 from Indianapolis to Chicago at 80+ MPH on the CC. I saw 100+ a few times making sure particularly bad drivers crashed behind me, 110 once. No cops. 22 MPG dirty with bikes in the windstream

OTR drivers were busy being anus holes three lanes wide at their regulated speed limits. Cops no where to be seen. Around Chicago the left most lane was almost free flowing at CC 80 MPH.
What is the "CC"?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-27-2020, 02:17 PM
Yukoner Yukoner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Whitehorse, YT
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,789
Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyaban View Post
I know, there is only one news source on the entire planet who is reporting the truth about this. Some say it is a "hoax" but this is a conspiracy by scientists and doctors. I am enjoying it.
I'm sorry, are you agreeing that this is a "hoax" ? Or are you just saying that's what some crazy folks are saying.
__________________


Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-27-2020, 02:46 PM
satyaban satyaban is offline
Barely in control
Location: The East
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
I'm sorry, are you agreeing that this is a "hoax" ? Or are you just saying that's what some crazy folks are saying.
Let's not get too controversial but during this crisis but anyone who believes what our political leaders who trust their gut before science is not insane, just irrational. I'll put my faith and trust in experts.
The doctors and other people trained in this area have not said not to drive so I drive.
Have you changed your driving habits regarding passengers, speed, or whether you are going out as well?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-27-2020, 04:01 PM
ctuna ctuna is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,902
Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
I am not driving unless I have to do something or cabin fever gets
to crazy mostly riding my bike if I do anything outdoors at all.
China will beat us they believe the scientist's not there gut feelings.
(Too bad there local officials suppressed there whistle blowing doctor though)
New branch of the military should be the the Sick Force.
That is actualy a rational proposal.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-27-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-27-2020, 04:09 PM
satyaban satyaban is offline
Barely in control
Location: The East
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I am not driving unless I have to do something or cabin fever gets
to crazy mostly riding my bike if I do anything outdoors at all.
Thanks for bringing the thread back to center.
I am retired and well adapted to free time. Driving in the early morning hours has been one of my pleasures and is now enhanced.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-27-2020, 08:00 PM
CALWATERBOY TRE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY TRE CALWATERBOY TRE is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fog City, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,981
Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyaban View Post
We don't have many people here not self isolating and there aren't many on the roads and fewer driving like me. The trucks and semis I encounter do not appear to go faster than 80 mph.

Semi not doing over 80? Dude! Big rig moving over 65 here is an invitation for special attention, Highway Patrol style.

Them boys're downright pissy about it....limit pulling a trailer's 55.



Last edited by CALWATERBOY TRE; 03-27-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-27-2020, 08:06 PM
CALWATERBOY TRE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY TRE CALWATERBOY TRE is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fog City, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,981
Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
I'm sorry, are you agreeing that this is a "hoax" ? Or are you just saying that's what some crazy folks are saying.

Overblown maybe.

Then again, Spanish Flu started much like COVID19; backed off when flu season ended. Come Fall, mutated Flu came back with a vengeance. FWIW, mutation now seen in Singapore.

Looks like experience is driving preparation.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-27-2020, 08:26 PM
satyaban satyaban is offline
Barely in control
Location: The East
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY TRE View Post
Semi not doing over 80? Dude! Big rig moving over 65 here is an invitation for special attention, Highway Patrol style.

Them boys're downright pissy about it....limit pulling a trailer's 55.


I haven't been to California since the gold rush and it is my understand than you all have a severe problem with traffic.Our interstates and highways in Maryland we have posted speeds of 70 mph in many areas and common knowledge is that you won't get a ticket for less than 79 mph. We have some great roads like I95 between Baltimore and Annapolis, Rte 97 between Baltimore and Annapolis and I70 going west that have good road surfaces as well.

I thought this thread would get a better response bit I understand.

Last edited by satyaban; 03-27-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-27-2020, 08:46 PM
wilt wilt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SF Bay area
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,253
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
On the news today...camera footage of real citations, one of them for 117mph on SF Bay area highways!

Makes me glad i am not driving generally.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-27-2020, 09:17 PM
satyaban satyaban is offline
Barely in control
Location: The East
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilt View Post
On the news today...camera footage of real citations, one of them for 117mph on SF Bay area highways!

Makes me glad i am not driving generally.
I don't doubt it. I am not talking driving with abandon but with caution.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-28-2020, 04:52 AM
dharmabmw dharmabmw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ottawa, Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,319
Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
I have seen more police out patrolling in the past week, than normal. I set the cruise and watch out for the aggressive idiots in their pickups. Besides virus stats, the media reports are that police are cracking down on speeders.
__________________
2006 E61 MT
2010 E91 MT
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-28-2020, 05:05 AM
CALWATERBOY TRE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY TRE CALWATERBOY TRE is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fog City, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,981
Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyaban View Post
I haven't been to California since the gold rush and it is my understand than you all have a severe problem with traffic.Our interstates and highways in Maryland we have posted speeds of 70 mph in many areas and common knowledge is that you won't get a ticket for less than 79 mph. We have some great roads like I95 between Baltimore and Annapolis, Rte 97 between Baltimore and Annapolis and I70 going west that have good road surfaces as well.

Well, there once was a time I lived in Wilmington and traveled to Baltimore frequently. In those days the limit for everyone was 55 mph, a blessing and a curse. Sporting dudes exceeded the limit like a game of cat 'n' mouse. 80 mph was rarified air.

Now 80 is the unofficial speed limit and, one day, I punched it, but as the needle passed 130, top down, I felt a horrible pain in my right shoulder. And I could hear my wife scream 'Slow Down!' as her fist repeatedly demanded my attention.

Top speed means jail time if caught. Keep an eye out!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-28-2020, 05:15 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is online now
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15,960
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Y'all mistake Speed Limit with Reasonable and Proper, just as do the regulators.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:46 PM
satyaban satyaban is offline
Barely in control
Location: The East
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabmw View Post
I have seen more police out patrolling in the past week, than normal. I set the cruise and watch out for the aggressive idiots in their pickups. Besides virus stats, the media reports are that police are cracking down on speeders.
I have not experienced what you here.
My pleasure driving starts in the wee hours of the morning and don't see any police. I saw one this morning 3:00am where a vehicle spun off on a cloverleaf ramp, it was wet.
Last night I mixed in a trip to a Giant supermarket and there was a cop posted up inside. On my 20 mi. trip I saw no more than 20 vehicles total and many of them were semis and a few cars. We are, I believe, self-isolating at a much higher rate than in Ottawa and those police may have been stopping Americans from fleeing a truly misguided USA.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.