X3 = Fat Change of Getting 3er Touring? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
X3 = Fat Change of Getting 3er Touring?

I've said it in the past that had the 330iT been available in the states, that's what I'd be driving now. But it isn't, mostly because the market for wagons here is too small for BMW to consider importing them.

Now that we've got the X3, the rumors I've been hearing are that we can forget even getting the 325iT any more. Think this will be true?

I read a review of the X3 in this Sunday's paper, and they called it a "crossover" vehicle. What surprised me most was that the X3 has more cargo capacity than an X5! Overall, they seemed to like it. Now, I personally don't like the driving dynamics of a higher-center-of-gravity vehicle, whether it be called an SUV, crossover, or whatever.

I want my next car to be a wagon. But I'm spoiled by my 330i, so whatever wagon I get will need to be equally as sporty. Think it will be possible to take an X3 and "slam" it to make into a wagon? Think BMW will throw us (the wagon-liking minority) a bone and send us more wagons... with the larger engines (and upgraded options)? Or will I be looking at Audi, Volvo or other euro brands for my next car?

Hmmm, or I could just locate a used 2003 540iT with the M Sport package... It'd be the first used car I ever buy (other than my first car which I bought off my parents.)

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Ik hou van Holland...

Mein Auto: 2012 X5M - 911 GT3RS
I got the 325it and I like it a lot, I notice the power difference between my car and the 330ci of my wife...
The 330it would be great but don't count on it... There will be a new 5er touring probably next year... like a 545it or a 530it which will bring a little bit more weight and a little bit more power. Or the Audi S4 Avant, that'll move too!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:05 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
FYI, all 540 wagons in the US are slushboxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Mein Auto: people crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
I suppose that it would be next to impossible to order one w/ a manual. I'm living in the wrong country.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:11 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Not next to. It would be impossible. Not EPA certified.

The best you could do is to buy a 540iT automatic and have a shop do a tranny swap for the 6-spd manual. If you get a good enough deal on the 540, it's a possibility. I think the tranny swap (including tranny) goes for about $9K.

EDIT- Check out think link- http://www.koalamotorsport.com/services/conversion.htm. Refer tot he E38 740i auto to manual conversion as the E38 740i/iL used the same powertrain as the automatic E39 540i/iTs.

Last edited by TD; 02-09-2004 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Any ride will do

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
Wait - you have to certify each engine/tranny combo, not just the engine?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
From what TD says, not just the engine/tranny combo, but the engine/tranny/chassis combo. Although that does seem a little extreme.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Aye, I've driven one at an Ultimate Drive. What a blast... and a real sleeper. Who'd ever think a wagon could have such balls!? As for being a slushy... uh, I'm driving a Step now.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 02-09-2004, 12:08 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION
Aye, I've driven one at an Ultimate Drive. What a blast... and a real sleeper. Who'd ever think a wagon could have such balls!? As for being a slushy... uh, I'm driving a Step now.
Nah. The Saab Aero wagon is the sleeper. More max torque than an E46 M3 and a 5-spd manual tranny.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
I drove the X3 on the autocross course at the Ultimate Driving Experience and came away very impressed...this from an anti-suv person. The vehicle's center of gravity is actually only 2" higher than a e46 due to massive re-engineering of the chassis and motor mounts. It truly is a BMW in every sense of the word...brakes, handling, comfort, steering/road feel, despite not being manufactured by them. What's even more amazing is that they accomplish this in a vehicle that weighs slightly more than 4,000 lbs.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StahlGrauM3
It truly is a BMW in every sense of the word...brakes, handling, comfort, steering/road feel, despite not being manufactured by them.
Except for the craptastic interior that reminds me of a honda CRV. Ugh, particularly the awful plastic trim on the dealer demo X3s...
Old 02-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Nah. The Saab Aero wagon is the sleeper. More max torque than an E46 M3 and a 5-spd manual tranny.

That car is a real blast to drive...

Photobucket

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search