Opinions. Repare Or Replace? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325 XI Wagon
I had a 2001 325IX wagon that I bought new, It was well and expensively cared for. It looked the same as I first saw it on a dealers lot. I moved to South Florida. In the Fall of 2013, I decided t trade it in. It had 4 new tires. It had a brans new driveshaft ($1500.00) This was one really clean car No dirty fake leather seats or scratches in the paint. I wanted to trade it in on a 2014 X1 280CI with all of the toys on board. It was a Corporate executive car that they wanted to sell me as a new car with 9,000 miles on it. Like it had never been owned before with all warranties etc. The sales manager at the Stealership offered me $400 for the 2001. I laughed, told him what he could do with his deal. And if he could do the same with the car, I'd give him the car too. The tires and rims were worth more than the $400.00.

Moral of the story" No matter what they tell you about any car, no matter how well you keep it, it's value is only as much as the strippers can strip off and sell. Regardless how much cold hard cash you put into a 15 year old car, its still only worth what a 15 year old car is worth. Far less than what you just put into it. In my case, the driveshaft needed to be replaced because the center support bearing in the two piece driveshaft can't be replaced and the whole driveshaft has to be replaced. Spend $1500.00 on a car that a month later, they offer you $400.00. Not smart. I asked the Stealership id a jar of Vaseline and a new pair of jeans with a hole in the back came with that $400.00 offer? So he came up on the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 01:22 AM
BeeemerBro

Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
The last two summaries were encouraging. Which has inspired me here....but quickly!
I have the 4,5 &6 all above 170K on the clock... (don't want to speak too soon) but, they spin like tops. Sure little grease, sweat and heartache
($$$)along the way. I got e
ach one at various degrees of maintenance. All below standard.
Soon after I got the 05 (my first)the drive shaft went bad, took it to the shop...charge $1500. While I was at the shop I discovered they sent the car's shaft off to a speciality shop...i found out who and where it was in town and they have been doing that type refurbishing job for me at a fraction of the price $80 last time. And I complete the installation! Before i bought each one of the X's it had listed rear drive shaft was the problem and the owners were tired of the car.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; Today at 02:57 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search