2019 xDrive 30i New Owner Review After 1st 500 miles - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)

X3 G01 (2018 - current)
The third generation X3 starts production in August of 2017 and will include the new X3 M40i top of the line performance model.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Checking tire pressure on the newer BMWs is a matter of pushing a button for the tPS monitor. I use a digital Michelin hand held gauge and there is about a 1 pound or less difference between what it shows and what iDrive shows. Even if you are extremely lazy, and even if you do not rotate, there is no excuse for not checking your tire pressure. BTW you should also check your brake fluid levels and oil level either visually (for brake fluid) or in iDrive for oil level (unfortunately no dipstick).
My 2014 535i has TPMS, but doesn't display the pressures. The capability is there, but it has to be coded in. In 2014, the only U.S. spec' BMW's to display pressures were M's.

Frau Putzer's 2018 X3 displays pressures. But, I still do it manually about every three weeks. On two of the pairs of tires, I can top off the pressures to be exactly even between the two tires and it will show a one PSI difference on iDrive. I like getting the tire pressures on an axle exactly even (with a quality dial tire gauge). If I later find one is down some, I go looking for a nail or screw and I usually find one.

BMW's bringing dipsticks back on the V8's. I hope they do it on the rest of their engines, too.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 08-12-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 12:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 G12 750ix 2014 F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
My 2014 535i has TPMS, but doesn't display the pressures. The capability is there, but it has to be coded in. In 2014, the only U.S. spec' BMW's to display pressures were M's.

Frau Putzer's 2018 X3 displays pressures. But, I still do it manually about every three weeks. One two of the pairs of tires, I can top off the pressures to be exactly even between the two tires and it will show a one PSI difference on iDrive. I like getting the tire pressures on an axle exactly even (with a quality dial tire gauge). If I later find one is down some, I go looking for a nail or screw and I usually find one.

BMW's bringing dipsticks back on the V8's. I hope they do it on the rest of their engines, too.
Dipstick on V8! Wow. I have a 2020 750 on order. My dad was a coowner of a gas station so I grew up around cars. There is something very pleasing to me to be able to check oil with a dipstick. Something about the ritual of taking it out, wiping it off, reinserting, then looking to see where the oil level is in relation to the lines on the dipstick. I'm glad it is returning.
'19 G01 X3 30
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3, 5 (E39, F31 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )
Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Jen4BMW

Mein Auto: 2019 xDrive X3 30i
Just got my 2 month old 6700 mile GO1 back from service tonight so I thought I'd circle back around on a few of my trouble spots so others experiencing similar issues have some insights based on my service run. Here's a run down:
1. Pano roof rattle...tech confirmed the "entire glass pano" was rattling on bumpy roads and notes say he could make the rattle go away by pushing up on the glass...he adjusted the pano, and added lubrication. Everything was quiet on the drive home so fingers crossed.
2. Lots of driver side wind noise at 70MPH compared to identical service loaner...tech note verifies wind noise as excessive and added some sort of part /seal in the front radiator shudders...I am skeptical this did anything. Need to do more driving.
3. Driver door brake not holding door open on sloped driveway...tech confirmed the issue... fixed by pulling door panel and adjusting door hinge brake.
4. Rear center console not working...blown fuse replaced (easy)
5. Rear kick plate rarely works on first kick...tech found issue and performed fix but I'd have to re-check the service notes to recall how he fixed the problem
6. Tires rotated and oil change (done)

The positive news is the pano roof rattle that so many of us have been frustrated by can apparently be fixed without a full replacement. No regrets on purchase whatsoever over-all but I wish BMW would get with the program and address this issue. Heck my daughters 4 year old Malibu is still quiet after 70K miles. If Chevy can design and build a tight car at $30K so can BMW at $50K.

Former:
2013 X3 xDrive35i Msport

Last edited by Jen4BMW; 08-12-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
Just got my 2 month old 6700 mile GO1 back from service tonight so I thought I'd circle back around on a few of my trouble spots so others experiencing similar issues have some insights based on my service run. Here's a run down:
1. Pano roof rattle...tech confirmed the "entire glass pano" was rattling on bumpy roads and notes say he could make the rattle go away by pushing up on the glass...he adjusted the pano, and added lubrication. Everything was quiet on the drive home so fingers crossed.
2. Lots of driver side wind noise at 70MPH compared to identical service loaner...tech note verifies wind noise as excessive and added some sort of part /seal in the front radiator shudders...I am skeptical this did anything. Need to do more driving.
3. Driver door brake not holding door open on sloped driveway...tech confirmed the issue... fixed by pulling door panel and adjusting door hinge brake.
4. Rear center console not working...blown fuse replaced (easy)
5. Rear kick plate rarely works on first kick...tech found issue and performed fix but I'd have to re-check the service notes to recall how he fixed the problem
6. Tires rotated and oil change (done)

The positive news is the pano roof rattle that so many of us have been frustrated by can apparently be fixed without a full replacement. No regrets on purchase whatsoever over-all but I wish BMW would get with the program and address this issue. Heck my daughters 4 year old Malibu is still quiet after 70K miles. If Chevy can design and build a tight car at $30K so can BMW at $50K.
Wow. At over 3k miles/month you're gong to be the G01 board's guinea pig, coal mine canary, etc. You'll see any inherent problem before the rest of us.

We haven't had any wind noise issues. I don't think the car's been above up to 70 MPH since last summer, though. We have had a water pump go bad (leaking) at 5k miles. Also, the "slip ring" connector between the steering column and the steering wheel went bad at 13k miles, causing an air bag warning message.

Please let us know how long your tires last. I'll be here bragging about my tread depths at 36k miles (meeting BMW FS's lease turn-in requirements of 4/32nd inch) and when I eventually replace the tires. But, at 9k to 10k miles a year, that will be several years from now.

I get a big discount on GM's, and I buy my beater new. My 2007 Cobalt with 123k miles will get replaced next year. The current Malibu is an attractive car. I'll drive it about 40k miles the first year for a project. So, MPG is important. Because the Malibu has a 9-speed automatic, it's within 2 MPG of the gasoline 6-speed automatic Cruze (36 MPG vs 38 MPG).

The Cruze is $6k cheaper. But, the Malibu has leather seats instead of vinyl, and a sunroof and nav' is standard on the Premier. The Malibu Premier has the same size tires as my 535i, 245/40-19's. They make Michelin PS 4S's in that size.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 08-13-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:01 AM
Jen4BMW

Mein Auto: 2019 xDrive X3 30i
Hi All- I have great news to share! I brought my car in to service to have my pano roof rattle addressed/fixed and I wanted to share an update. I just got my car back and now have about 45 miles on it and so far the car is absolutely 100% rattle free.

I am OCD with car rattles so hopefully the pano holds its adjustment. As far as I can tell the tech adjusted the pano panels, cleaned and lubed the seal. Tbh I am surprised this worked but I'll take an easy fix any day. I wasn't too thrilled about Plan B- insisting on a replacement pano. I know MANY others have the pano issue so hope these tech notes help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C78B56F0-3A3C-4601-BFD8-D189539FA139.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	861229  

Former:
2013 X3 xDrive35i Msport

Last edited by Jen4BMW; 08-14-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 228i ragtop
tire rotations--free

I thought I'd mention that if one buys tires through either Costco (Michelin) or Discount Tires, the purchase includes lifetime rotations/rebalance q. 7k mi. And Costco puts in nitrogen as standard.

One advantage of nitrogen is that the tire's air pressure is not subject to variations in altitude changes (e.g., 5000' to 10,000') as happens in some locations (e.g., Albuquerque vs Sandia Mtn top).

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.
2016 228i ragtop
http://checkupandchoices.com
Navigo ergo sum
Old 08-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidhester View Post
I thought I'd mention that if one buys tires through either Costco (Michelin) or Discount Tires, the purchase includes lifetime rotations/rebalance q. 7k mi. And Costco puts in nitrogen as standard.

One advantage of nitrogen is that the tire's air pressure is not subject to variations in altitude changes (e.g., 5000' to 10,000') as happens in some locations (e.g., Albuquerque vs Sandia Mtn top).
Uh, oh. Somebody wasn't paying attention in 9th grade physical science class. Air is 78% nitrogen, and pretty much follows the Ideal Gas Law, as does nitrogen:

P V = mRT

Humid air can vary from the Ideal Gas Law, though. But if you pumped your tires up with regular air in Albuquerque or the Sandia Mountains, you did so with dry air.

Pressure in tire goes up or down about one PSI for every 10 degrees F. As you go up in altitude, the outside pressure goes down. The "gauge pressure" inside the tire is the difference between the pressure inside the tire and outside the tire. Ambient pressure at sea level is about 14.7 PSI. At 10,000 feet above sea level, it's about ten PSI.

Although your tire's gauge pressure would go up with increasing altitude and constant temperature, the usual case is that the outside temperature will do down with increasing altitude. So, PV = mRT applies to lower the gauge pressure of the tires. The gauge pressure increase due to increased altitude, and the gauge pressure decrease due to cooler temperatures at higher altitude tend to cancel each other out.

Don't feel bad about getting this wrong. Frau Putzer and I went to high school together. She wasn't paying attention in 9th grade physical science class, either. ...or in our bookkeeping classes in the 10th and 11th grades, why she's now clueless about managing money. That's because she was cutting class a lot and smoking pot with that damn Ricky Gibson.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pressue-vs-altitude.png
Views:	8
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	861551  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 08-18-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X-5 5.0i
I agree, BECAUSE the neg. rear camber wears the inner edge faster von the rears.

Typically I over inflate to at least 42 psi on the rear and 40 on the front. This bubbles the middle tread slightly, providing an overall better track patch
and reduces that usual inner edge wear.
I agree, cross rotate RFTs every 5k miles,
you can see the tires up close and modify where which tire goes based on observed tread wear.
Why DOES the rears wear faster? Camber?

Less weight in back, heavier load in front and xDrive?

Any answers to that?

2011 BMW X-5 5.0 Msport. loaded 140k miles Best E70 ever!
2019 BMW X-3 M40i loaded
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDP View Post
I agree, BECAUSE the neg. rear camber wears the inner edge faster von the rears.

Typically I over inflate to at least 42 psi on the rear and 40 on the front. This bubbles the middle tread slightly, providing an overall better track patch
and reduces that usual inner edge wear.
I agree, cross rotate RFTs every 5k miles,
you can see the tires up close and modify where which tire goes based on observed tread wear.
Why DOES the rears wear faster? Camber?

Less weight in back, heavier load in front and xDrive?

Any answers to that?
I got answers to everything.

The tires on the axle getting power will wear faster. Even with xDrive, 60% of the power goes to the back (except on an X1 or X2, most of their power goes to the front since they're really a MINI in drag). Tire wear is more concentrated on the back on my sDrive than on Frau Putzer's xDrive.

The rear camber thing concentrates the wear in the inner half of the tire. Rotating evens out that uneven camber wear to all four tires, instead of concentrating it on two tires.

Race car teams adjust pressure for the optimal contact patch by taking a temperature profile across the tires right as the cars come into the pits. Measuring the tread depths across the tires and adjusting the pressure accordingly is sort of an ultra-slow-motion version of that.

Ideally, you should have eight rotation stints during the tires' life. For regular tires, take the expected tire life and divide by eight ( e.g. rotate 50k-mile tires every 6500 miles). High performance tires wear faster when new. So, divide their expected tire life by 7.5 to determine the duration of the second through eighth stints, and make the first one half that (e.g. for 37.5k-mile high performance tires, do the first rotation at 2500 miles and then every 5000 miles). Doing this will have each tire in each corner of the car twice, and all four tires should have just about the same wear when they're done. You'll also only have to pay for or do seven rotations, instead of nine that you'd do with 5000-mile stints on 50k-mile tires. There's another $50 to $70 back in your wallet.

Last edited by Autoputzer; Yesterday at 06:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x3 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
Wait the pano not opening all the way is normal? That would be most excellent b/c I donít really want service messing with the pano if I can avoid it. Could someone confirm if this is normal? Seems counterintuitive to not have it open all the way on first click but hey love um or hate um BMW sometimes works in strange ways.

How about your tailgate kick...is that working first try for you guys. Appreciate the input guys and your taking a minute to weigh in. I love this forum and learn so much!

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
the roof doesnt open all the way with the first hit of the button. you hold it again to get the last bit left opened. all my bmw's have worked that way and my audi too. you dont need service on that
Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x3 2019
looks like we have the same experience/impression of this new X3. i also shopped and drove many brands. the xc40 was VERY close in the running but i also didn't want to pay msrp and the dealers were not budging. I was also not a fan of all touch screen with the volvo and how the system worked compared to IDrive which i really really like. i am also i agreement with you on the seats - MUCH better than x1 which i hated and wound up getting rid of that car early, but x3 could be a bit softer and wider - like the x5 seats. And i agree with you on the ambient lighting, i really wish i had that in mine now. i have pretty much every option except leather which i see now any x3 with leather has ambient lighting. However it should be part of convenience or premium package and not attached to leather seats.
Old Today, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: locally
Yeah, but she married you Putz instead of that damn Ricky!

Last edited by Closem Joe; Today at 08:54 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)
Today's Posts Search