Transmission Question on Kick-down - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 08-27-2018, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 540ix; Pcar 718S
Transmission Question on Kick-down

Now that I have a few miles on my car I am beginning to drive the car more aggressively. I must first say that it's amazing the power this car has and the motor is extremely smooth. Anyways, an interesting thing occurred over the weekend. While in both Sport Plus and in Comfort modes when I pressed the accelerator all the way to kick-down the motor would spin up as usual pulling hard, then all of a sudden it would hesitate for what seemed to be a fifth of a second (or so) and I'd hear a "clunk" in the transmission then it would continue pulling. It seemed to down shift but I'm not sure...but it sure seemed to take a lot of time to do downshift if that's what it did. And the clunk did not seem normal. Here's my question: should I take it in to have the transmission checked or is all OK. Note: I have done zero mods to the vehicle, it's a 540ix msport with mperformance exhaust. Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 02:46 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Sounds to me like an upshift: one of those deliciously quick and aurally pleasing the 540 has when driven hard.

Next time you have this happen, look at your tach: are the revs rising or falling? If falling, the car is upshifting.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:01 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
First, you don't have to floor it to get a downshift. The trans, like most others, does part-throttle downshifts depending on engine load and other factors. Especially in Sport (or above), you should get instantaneous downshifting at part throttle. BMW's have a physical switch at the very end of the throttle travel that actuates the "maximum thrust", which means, it will downshift to the lowest possible gear for the given rpm range. Are you actually pressing the throttle all the way to activate this switch? In either case, you should not be experiencing any hesitation with the ZF8 8-spd unit.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather

Last edited by markl53; 08-27-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2018, 09:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi
What gas did you use? I had similar issue 2-3 times when using Costco cheap gasoline. Now only using Chevron.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 330ci / G32 630d
Maybe put the sport display on and see the performance of your engine on that?
It is in: my car>tech>Sportdisplay

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
540, transmission

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search