Trans Light - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-04-2018, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Trans Light

Ok, so I'm at the end of my rope here. My wife's '06 325i had the trans warning light come on a few weeks back. Threw a generic code, putting into limp mode. Restarting car cleared limp mode, unfortunately would randomly come back on. I changed the fluid and filter, car seemed to drive fine after that. About a week later light came back on. What really bothers me is it only comes on for her. I can't seem to make the light come on no matter how hard I push the car. I'm getting a laptop set up to try to reset the adaptations, but not sure what else I should check. Why only for one driver? Any help or feed back would be highly appreciated. I've worked on all kinds of cars but this one has me scratching my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2018, 11:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 e70 3.0i
Trans Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalE90 View Post
Ok, so I'm at the end of my rope here. My wife's '06 325i had the trans warning light come on a few weeks back. Threw a generic code, putting into limp mode. Restarting car cleared limp mode, unfortunately would randomly come back on. I changed the fluid and filter, car seemed to drive fine after that. About a week later light came back on. What really bothers me is it only comes on for her. I can't seem to make the light come on no matter how hard I push the car. I'm getting a laptop set up to try to reset the adaptations, but not sure what else I should check. Why only for one driver? Any help or feed back would be highly appreciated. I've worked on all kinds of cars but this one has me scratching my head.

Is your transmission ZF?

What program are you setting up?

Inpa ista both can do wonders when you have an issue.
Once you have INPA, scan it for codes. And post the codes here.

Resetting adaptation is like clearing the codes. Transmission learns your driving habits again and is will show up again.

A code can be thrown for many issues: weak mechatronics solenoids, low oil level, bad mechatronics connection, worn clutch, worn oil, jammed gear button....

Also on why for one driver, Id suggest test drive it the way your wife drives it. BMWs like being driven hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2018, 03:53 PM

I cleared all original codes after changing the fluid and filter. Reset trans adaptations and after a week, trans light back on. The pic is the code inpa pulled. So what next? Shift solenoids? Light is totally random and getting really frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2018, 08:11 PM

This is the code description according to ISTA+:

EGS: Ratio Monitoring, Gearshift 5-6

You should:

0- Clear the codes now.

1- Battery: how old is your Battery?
-inpa- status-IBS-PM1= take a screen shot and post here
inpa-status-IBS-PM2= take a screenshot and post here.

then charge up the battery FULLY! use any good charger if you have one. If not, you can take the battery out, have autozone charge it for few hours.
Then test drive, and then scan for codes, if codes are gone, you are due for a battery and battery registration.
If codes come back go to 2.

2- adaptation run: Perform an adaptation run as described in the procedure below.

Note: The transmission adaptation occurs only at a transmission oil temperature of 75C or higher.

Once a transmission oil temperature of 75C is reached, carry out the adaptation run as follows:

In drive position "D", increase vehicle speed up to 4th gear (approximately 25 mph), but do not allow a shift into 5th gear.

Allow the vehicle to then coast to a stop and keep the vehicle stationary for approximately 15 seconds with the brake pedal applied.

Next, with the vehicle stationary, change from D to N and back to D again.

Repeat steps 1 to 3 approximately 10 times.

Reference:
Code:
SI B 24 04 07
Automatic Transmission April 2007
Technical Service 
SUBJECT
ZF 6HP19TU in Failsafe Mode with Fault 4F8D Stored 
MODEL
E90, E91, E92 with N52K or N54 engines and the 6HP19TU automatic transmission produced from 9/01/06 up to 2/28/2007
SITUATION
The transmission goes into failsafe mode with fault code 4F8D (ratio monitoring, gearshift 5-4  plausibility) stored in the EGS. 
CAUSE
EGS software diagnostics is too sensitive.
This fault may occur during a 5-4 downshift only in vehicles with either low mileage, a replacement transmission, or after a reset of the adaptation values.
CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, perform an adaptation run as described in the procedure below.
Note: The transmission adaptation occurs only at a transmission oil temperature of 75C or higher. 

Once a transmission oil temperature of 75C is reached, carry out the adaptation run as follows:
In drive position "D", increase vehicle speed up to 4th gear (approximately 25 mph), but do not allow a shift into 5th gear.
Allow the vehicle to then coast to a stop and keep the vehicle stationary for approximately 15 seconds with the brake pedal applied.
Next, with the vehicle stationary, change from D to N and back to D again.
Repeat steps 1 to 3 approximately 10 times.
This problem is solved in series production beginning 3/01/07 with integration level E89x-07-03-510.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Defect Code
24 00 23 83 00
Labor Operation:
24 99 000
Labor Allowance:
4 FRU
WT

Test drive, scan for codes. Codes gone, you 're good to go. Codes back, go to 3.

3- Reprogram the EGS module. Too technical for you if you haven't done a single programming. have dealer re-program your transmission. test drive. codes gone, or codes back: go to 4

4- Do a research and find out your solenoid(s) for gears 5 and 6, and start your troubleshooting there! there are some good videos on youtube for troubleshooting mechatronics solenoids. find the part number for the solenoid(s) and purchase new ones., remove the mechatronics, remove the solenoids, and replace them. reset adaptations, test drive........ codes back? you need a new transmission. $7000.00. or just live with it until it completely falls apart!

good luck
Old 01-19-2018, 08:54 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info. Guess I have some testing to do tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
a random thought .... swap keys with her?

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
Old 01-20-2018, 03:06 PM

So I looked at my charging system with inpa. If I'm looking at this right, it is still the original battery. I pulled the battery out, it's a BMW battery, but there is no date stamp.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:32 PM

Trans Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalE90 View Post
So I looked at my charging system with inpa. If I'm looking at this right, it is still the original battery. I pulled the battery out, it's a BMW battery, but there is no date stamp.

There is a key on your keyboard, called PrintScreen (PrntScrn). Makes your life easier. Or a small program called Snipping tool on Win7 and up, to take clean screenshots.

Yes, your battery according to INPA is still the original, never been changed.

Important note on your battery is thar your SoC is only 51%!
Than number should be 80 plus all the time. 60-80 is also acceptable, but 50 means you are due for a battery.

It is a 80 ah battery. Would be size 48. In case youre going to need one, you should get a 80 ah AGM.

I highly recommend changing a battery as a maintenance if it is older than 5 years old, before touching anything transmission related.

One explanation that the MIL comes on for her, not you, might be that you said you drive it hard? Higher RPM, higher charge for the battery.

Update: you drove the car 30,80,70,and 120 KMs in the past five days respectively. Your highest SoC even after a long 120KM drive is only 75%. Your SoC for previous days was ~50-55%.

Even 30 km drive is long enough for a battery to reach 70-80% charge.
Your battery is at end of its life. Period!
Keep in mind changing battery might or might not solve your transmission issue. Your information shows you need a battery.
I would not touch transmission at all until I would have changed the battery.

Last edited by AlphaBetaX5; 01-20-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:42 PM

Your next step,
Find out your type of battery ( AGM or Flooded Lead Acid).

Purchase 80ah AGM.
Charge it fully.

Then install it.

Register it. If your original battery was agm, register it on INPA: inpa- status-ibs-F5 (Battery change)

Or just go the same screen as the screen you posted, and hit F5.

If original battery was non-AGM, coding and registration is required. Use ista-p

GL.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:54 PM

Thank you. Yes, I know the print screen is easier, I'm using an old laptop that I haven't set up on my network yet. Looks like I'll start with a new battery and go from there. Thanks for the help

Old 01-20-2018, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaX5 View Post
It is a 80 ah battery. Would be size 48. In case youre going to need one, you should get a 80 ah AGM.
It is less expensive to keep the capacity the same AND keep the battery type the same!
Change of either capacity or battery type necessitates CODING rather than merely doing a battery Registration (to indicate new battery).
Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto:
4F8D - Ratio Monitoring Gearshift 5-4

Hey NorcalE90, did you ever figure out how to fix this issue? I have the same exact issue also for a 2006 325i. The transmission light would come on putting it in limp mode (felt like it would start in 2nd gear), restarting the car initially fixed this for many months until recently it wont go away. My buddy hooked up his scanner and came back with vehicle code 4F8D. Sounds like the same exact issue you had, curious if replacing the battery fixed the issue? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2019, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi E90 manual
Drop the pan & valve body, replace the seals between the valve body and the transmission. Also replace the pan & Valvetronics sleeve, obviously.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for your reply!

So I would need the Auto Trans Seal, Transmission Seals and O-Rings found here: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/fi...-o-rings.c7367 https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/fi...ans-seal.c6065

Then I would need a new oil pan found here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oil-Pan...UAAOSwbX5ccNlm

And lastly the Auto Trans Valve Body Seal found here: https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ss...leeve&x=23&y=8

Can you please confirm these are all the parts you're referring to in your post above that I will need to fix the issue? Thank you!!
Old 03-25-2019, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi E90 manual
I didn't follow any of those links, cause I'd get it all from fcpeuro. Go to realoem to get the part numbers.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for your help!

So I would need:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...2333907#video0

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...e-050121627201

Do you know which seals between the valve body and transmission?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=24_1042

The last 6 digits of my VIN are KX44293 - You Have Selected: 3' E90 BMW 325i. Type Code: VB13

Last edited by bacabros; 03-26-2019 at 05:43 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
325i, limp mode, transmission, zf

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search