CPO Dealer + Registration fees - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer

Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors from supporting BMW dealerships. Get all of your BMW pricing, ordering, buying, financing, and leasing questions answered here!

Old 08-18-2019, 09:42 AM
Current 'Fest Addict

Mein Auto: '08 335i Coupe 6MT
CPO Dealer + Registration fees

Hey Forum,
About to purchase my 4th Bimmer -- but first time CPO. Just wondering, how negotiable are doc fees on a CPO purchase?

Dealer came down a tiny bit on the price, but is hitting me with a $850 dealer fee that he doesn't seem to budge on.

Before: Steel Blue/Grey Leather '05 e46 330xi -- premium, heated, xenon

BMWCCA#: 365964

They really do have heart and soul....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi
All prices are negotiable, but prices for individual services may be trickier for a car on the lot. The easiest way is to compare prices by asking several dealers for their out-the-door price.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x drive
In NY, I have never paid a dealer fee more than $75.00. It may be law here, not sure, but that is the most I paid, even for my 2014 535dx when I bought it off lease.
I would never pay more than $100 for a dealer fee, but that's just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art234 View Post
In NY, I have never paid a dealer fee more than $75.00. It may be law here, not sure, but that is the most I paid, even for my 2014 535dx when I bought it off lease.
I would never pay more than $100 for a dealer fee, but that's just me.
A few states regulate the doc fee. NY and CA are two such states that I am aware of. "most" states do not regulate the doc fee.

OP, most dealers will not discount the doc fee "per se". It will appear on the invoice at whatever amount their dealership has for such a fee.

The only way around that is to get the CAR discounted by some amount that makes you happy that includes offsetting such a fee.

They will say something like "the doc fee is standard here and it cant be changed" and you can counter with, thats fine, but I need an additional XXX off the car to compensate for the fee. It certainly does not cost them 850 worth of money to process documents, and thats one of the highest fees I have read about.

I know that florida dealers tend to charge 699 - 899 for the doc fee. That high fee is just a way to mark the car up. If they had an attractive price on the CAR but that huge doc fee, then the price of the car is less attractive... so they mark the car down, and then include high fees to make it back up.

If you have a price on the car you are "ok" with, and now they are including that fee, tell them that you need the price of the car to be reduced by 850 so that you are not paying for that fee.

Another thing is, since they have such a high doc fee, its almost certain that they are going to have high costs for any other add ons, so I would be very (very very very) careful about any other add ons like extended warranties, etc. You also want a FULLY ITEMIZED quote with every fee laid out because there very well could be other fees baked in that pump the price up further.

if they wont reduce the price of the car to cover that high doc fee or at least most of it (consider asking for at LEAST 600 more off the car, making the doc fee 250 which is still high but somewhat tolerable if you like the car) move on from that car and dealer.... unless you really really like THAT specific car.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 08-18-2019, 03:28 PM
Current 'Fest Addict

Mein Auto: '08 335i Coupe 6MT
Thanks, yeah, they budged a bit on the car but not by much. Frankly, it's a good deal, but not a great deal. I've countered with something I think is totally reasonable, if they meet that then I'll pull the trigger, otherwise, there are a bunch of these cars starting to trickle in off-lease, the deals will likely only get better from here.

Cheers guys, thanks as always!

Before: Steel Blue/Grey Leather '05 e46 330xi -- premium, heated, xenon

BMWCCA#: 365964

They really do have heart and soul....
Old 08-19-2019, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 18 X5M, retired 640i vert
If you have a trade, just tell them to add that amount to trade. If not ask for additional discount . If this a state that says dealers can charge X$ or whatever they want AS LONG AS EVERY ONE PAYS, Those are your only solutions. This charge is simply additional dealer profit!

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Today's Posts Search