Issues after battery replacement/battery registration help - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-23-2019, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto:
Issues after battery replacement/battery registration help

So I am new to bimmerfest and this is my first post. I have a 2008 535xi which I love, but a few weeks ago I started having issues. I got in the car and a bunch of random warnings came up including transmission error, and I could not shift out of park. Also it cut off my ac and display. I realize that these issues are most likely battery related, so I bought a new battery and a code scanner to register the battery. After I put the new battery in, everything seemed fine for about 30 min, then I got a bunch of warnings again about high battery drain, transmission and engine overheating. I pulled over to let it cool and parked it since. I use my code scanner to see what I got, and there were a bunch of codes again, with one saying coolant was switched off. I saw posts about checking water pump fuse and purging the pump and was wondering should I do these things? Also saw something about disconnecting the negative terminal for 20 min, is that something to try? I know there are lots of possibilities, and would like input on what could be wrong and some troubleshooting I could do, starting with the simplest ones. Regarding the registration, should I do it again if I disconnect the battery, and what is proper procedure for registration? I am a female, but I diy on my car if it's not too complicated, so feel free not to treat me like I won't get my hands dirty lol. Please, any input and help would be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 10:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX M Sport
The registration will stick.
My first thought is, did you fully charge the new battery?
They are not at full charge off the shelf.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto:
I did not...that could be it because it said my battery was 40% when I ran the scanner. I will charge it and see how that works, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 10:50 AM
BMW CCA 69606

Mein Auto: '15 435i '10 535i '08 X5
How many miles? Sounds like a charging system problem. New battery starts car, car runs for 30 minutes, but alternator isn't charging battery so battery discharges and warning msg's appear.
Check battery voltage with engine running. Should be over 13V.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto:
I just came out to the car to double check the mileage, and it's dead. I haven't driven it since the night before last. It's got around 128K I think.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i; 2007 328 xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tionna View Post
I just came out to the car to double check the mileage, and it's dead. I haven't driven it since the night before last. It's got around 128K I think.
Dead means: no click, no crank, no panel lights?

You had the battery replaced. Open up the battery compartment and check to see if the battery connectors are on the posts. Won't be the first time someone forgot to tighten the bolts.

Put a charger on it and leave it overnight. Then scan to see if it charges up fully. Look for codes related to the alternator, if any. Always attach charger under the hood.

If it charges up, run the car and check the battery voltage while running -- should be 13 v as noted.

If the alternator light is off, check the voltage at the alternator, to ground. Should be 13+V. If the light is on, check and you may see the alternator is not producing -- but you should get a code if it's not.

Also, the main relays for power production can fail; but usually that causes a bunch of the idiot lights to light up.

Finally, if all else is good, you may have a parasitic draw -- means the systems didn't shut down completely and something is drawing current all the time. Not a good problem to have.

Let us know what you find.

2007 328xiT
2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 12+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 08-23-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto:
Yes it was completely dead...had to use my key to get in it. The battery cables are secure. I don't have a charger, I was going to take it to Advance Auto where I got it to charge it. I will test it afterwards and see what happens and report back. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-02-2019, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto:
UPDATE: went to a BMW repair shop and has diagnostics done and they told me my alternator is on its way out. They also recommended that I get an oem battery instead of aftermarket. Forgot to mention before about the floor in the back seat and passenger side sometimes gets wet, not from rain but a leak from somewhere. I heard it could be related to ac, but at the shop they told me that could be messing with my computer. I don't know where the computer is to know if that makes sense, but I have not experienced a problem from that from what I can tell. What I will do is buy an alternator and have it put in...found a Bosch at a decent price. I don't know if I will change the battery, since it is new and it has all the specs as the oem.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Also check for water intrusion under the trunk floor ... probably clogged sunroof drains! Search the forum for DIY fixes :-)
VERY COMMON and wet BMW electrics are a common contributor to all sorts of electronic / electrical system failures too.
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search