Tire selection Non-RFT Continental - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinerin View Post
Just replaced Pirelli P Zero's with the Continental DSW......very impressed so far. Only have about 2000k on them but run quiet, great grip, great ride.

Purchased thru local Indy. Mounted, balanced, 4 wheel alignment, $1100.00
If you really meant DWS's, not DWS06's or DW's, you might want to check the date codes on the tires. The DWS06 model replaced the DWS model tire several years ago. I bought some DWS06's in September 2015.

After six years from manufacture, there's an increased chance of a tire failing due to decomposition of the rubber. I had an eight year old spare tire fail the first time I drove on it.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 08-25-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche Cayenne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitdog540 View Post
Did you ever wonder why cheap tires are cheap? These are considered high end cars geared toward performance. Do you use the cheapest oil? Just sayin...and I feel I paid a bit of a premium for my car for a reason. Cheaping out isn't for me.
Paying a premium for what reason exactly?
I've paid for cheap parts for a while and I can tell you they work perfectly fine for daily driving. Obviously do your homework and pay what you're comfortable with. I didn't buy these tires blindly
Old 08-25-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer5er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Got the solar 4xs mounted and I have to say they're great tires. Around town under 45mph there is a slight tread noise, but most tires have that including my old pirelli p7 and Bridgestone potenzas.
They grip well and are smooooooooth!
On the highway my old pirellis used to shake from about 65-75mph. Slight vibrations coming into the car, despite numerous balancing attempts. These tires are like riding on glass. I'm so surprised the tires were at fault, I thought it was bent rims. I'm a bit disappointed that my local Walmart did not match the yellow dot on the tires to the valve stem which is recommended but damn the car rides smooth

Overall I have to say I've learned that cheap tires aren't bad and in some regards better than other brands. Reviews are important but can get very subjective quickly. Also driving conditions matter too. If your roads are mostly concrete or asphalt, that can change the Dynamics of the tire. Survey multiple sites, look up some videos.
If you can try being in a car that has the tires you're looking at. Otherwise consider a tire that has a money back guarantee trial period.
Just wait...and give another review several thousand miles later. All tires have that newness to them because of new and thicker treads compared to old tires. It's how it performs between 1k miles to 25k miles that separates the good ones from the rest. Also, see how they perform in the rain.
I'll be sure to post back. I cover 2-3k miles a month so should have updates soon
Old 08-25-2019, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i xdrive
Continental tires for 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
If you really meant DWS's, not DWS06's or DW's, you might want to check the date codes on the tires. The DWS06 model replaced the DWS model tire several years ago. I bought some DWS06's in September 2015.

After six years from manufacture, there's an increased chance of a tire failing due to decomposition of the rubber. I had an eight year old spare tire fail the first time I drove on it.
My mistake...they are the DWS06 Extreme Contact.

Where does one find the date codes and/or how to decipher.????

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Hitdog540

Mein Auto: '03 540/6, '15 550
Quote:
I've paid for cheap parts for a while and I can tell you they work perfectly fine for daily driving. Obviously do your homework and pay what you're comfortable with. I didn't buy these tires blindly
You don't feel that you paid a premium for owning your BMW than other manufacturers?

And btw, there's nothing wrong with that if you're buying that brand to suit your purpose.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You don't feel that you paid a premium for owning your BMW than other manufacturers?

And btw, there's nothing wrong with that if you're buying that brand to suit your purpose.
Nope I bought mine 2 years old for $28k. Most people would spend that much for a Honda Accord so I don't think I paid a premium at all. I'm all about the value. I maintain my car at a fraction of the cost of others. Even lower cost than economy cars

$30 oil changes, rockauto or eBay parts, off brand tires. If you look enough they can serve you just as well. It also helps to know good honest mechanics

I mainly drive highway, my car sees triple digit speeds daily. I take on/off ramps at high speed a decent amount, and I open it up whenever the mood strikes. I would say I'm a pretty aggressive driver but not abusive. Which is why I think economy parts serve me well.

Last edited by gtmaster303; 08-25-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:40 PM
Hitdog540

Quote:
Nope I bought mine 2 years old for $28k. Most people would spend that much for a Honda Accord so I don't think I paid a premium at all. I'm all about the value. I maintain my car at a fraction of the cost of others. Even lower cost than economy cars

$30 oil changes, rockauto or eBay parts, off brand tires. If you look enough they can serve you just as well. It also helps to know good honest mechanics

I mainly drive highway, my car sees triple digit speeds daily. I take on/off ramps at high speed a decent amount, and I open it up whenever the mood strikes. I would say I'm a pretty aggressive driver but not abusive. Which is why I think economy parts serve me well.
Safe journeys at those speeds and with those tires...I look forward to hearing your
review. Nothing would be better than to think I've been doing it all wrong and can start
saving some money!
Old 08-25-2019, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinerin View Post
Where does one find the date codes and/or how to decipher.????

Thanks for the info.
There's a 4-digit code stamped on the side of the tire. It's the week and year the tire was manufactured. A code of 2219 would be the 22nd week of 2019. Apparently the exact day doesn't matter to the NHTSA.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 08-25-2019, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 535d
Quote:
Safe journeys at those speeds and with those tires...I look forward to hearing your
review. Nothing would be better than to think I've been doing it all wrong and can start
saving some money!
My late uncle was an engineer in the business of servicing tire-making machines not that long ago before he retired. He was fluent in 4 languages and would fly to where the major tire makers were using said machines to fix problems etc.

He said that every tire manufacturer's top-of-the-line tire is of excellent quality but didn't specify to me why.

My experience differs in that some tire brands in the past 47 years of car ownership seemed to fare much better than others, and that includes safety-type issues like loosened belts, irregular tire wear, splitting apart, poor performance in some cases, that sort of thing. Another friend worked for the federal DOT and was experienced in quality control statistics which Michelin and Pirelli, at the time, significantly topped all other manufacturers in low incidence of defects (they X-rayed/scanned the tires).

Talking enough to other friends who happen to be automotive engineers doesn't change my mind either about quality controls and manufacturing defects. A visit to the Corvette plant gives a sobering view of how many component pieces don't measure up and are discarded during quality production of modern cars.

So I always want Michelin to be my tire company, but feel that others, including tires on our Jaguar with Pirelli P7's and my current car with Continental SSR RFT's are quite good. Following tire tests for performance also seem to support my opinion of certain tire brands giving greater value, and guess what, not the off-brand tires IMO.

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 08-25-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528
OP here. I ended up ordering Bfgoodrich comp-2 a/s ($93 a piece after savings + plus installation). It seems like they are well rated tires.

I guess choosing a tire depends on how much (and in what situations) you drive. If you are living in a small town and use your car for work only, then you should be ok with cheap tires (I had cheap ones and they were fine to drive).

If I ever had to drive long distance on a routine basis, I would probably have gone with Michelin (which I always used). My commute is only 300-400 miles a month (all short distance). Given the fact that I only drive in town, I can not justify putting $200 tires.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:52 PM
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD

Mein Auto: 2014 535XD (German Model)
I guess Tire selection is very similar to how we Dress...

Some don't care, others Dress up all the time... It's not like we go to Wal-Mart everyday and need to be at our best ;-)
Euro 313HP
465 TQ @1500 RPM
Alpinweiss - Nappa Mocca
AC Schnitzer 30-30 Springs
18" Michelin Pilot Supersport / PA4 Winter
Old 08-27-2019, 04:29 AM
Hitdog540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
My late uncle was an engineer in the business of servicing tire-making machines not that long ago before he retired. He was fluent in 4 languages and would fly to where the major tire makers were using said machines to fix problems etc.

He said that every tire manufacturer's top-of-the-line tire is of excellent quality but didn't specify to me why.

My experience differs in that some tire brands in the past 47 years of car ownership seemed to fare much better than others, and that includes safety-type issues like loosened belts, irregular tire wear, splitting apart, poor performance in some cases, that sort of thing. Another friend worked for the federal DOT and was experienced in quality control statistics which Michelin and Pirelli, at the time, significantly topped all other manufacturers in low incidence of defects (they X-rayed/scanned the tires).

Talking enough to other friends who happen to be automotive engineers doesn't change my mind either about quality controls and manufacturing defects. A visit to the Corvette plant gives a sobering view of how many component pieces don't measure up and are discarded during quality production of modern cars.

So I always want Michelin to be my tire company, but feel that others, including tires on our Jaguar with Pirelli P7's and my current car with Continental SSR RFT's are quite good. Following tire tests for performance also seem to support my opinion of certain tire brands giving greater value, and guess what, not the off-brand tires IMO.
Agree completely...bottom line is, if your going to push your car a bit, I want proven top quality tires under me. My choice happens to be Michelins...like the Walmart analogy...on the other hand if I'm driving to the store in the neighborhood only, any tire will do. But I don't!
Old 08-27-2019, 06:47 AM

I use an iterative process to adjust the pressures of my tire to achieve even tread wear across the tires. Over the years, and over 50= tires, I've noticed that Michelin and Bridgestone tires wear more evenly at close to the door jamb decal pressures. Continental and Goodyear tires seem to need more pressure, and ride harshly because of this.

I have had trouble with Michelin's though. I had a new tire delivered with a "creak" in the bead. There was one spot on one of four tires where when I grabbed the tire by the bead it would make a creaking noise. Tire Rack sent me a new tire and a shipping label to send the bad one back. Frau Putzer managed to damage some Michelin Green tires in less than 40k miles on a FWD Honda Accord. During the third 8k-mile rotation stint on the front, all four tires started "chunking," having large pieces of the tread blocks tear off. The OE Michelin tire on the Accord were fine, lasting 79k miles with no chunking. The Michelin PS's on the back of my E46 M3 would always wear more in the middle, despite me reducing the pressure to less than the door jamb decal pressure.

A neighbor was the "zone guy" for GM. He'd get involved when there was a warranty dispute with customers. He said that Michelin had the lowest defect rate of all their tire suppliers, and that when they had to replace a customer's tires under warranty, they usually did so with Michelins.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Agree completely...bottom line is, if your going to push your car a bit, I want proven top quality tires under me. My choice happens to be Michelins...like the Walmart analogy...on the other hand if I'm driving to the store in the neighborhood only, any tire will do. But I don't!
My car is more than a "point a to point b" appliance (which is fine if that is what you want). I get a lot of enjoyment out of it and don't necessarily look for the most expensive drive.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I use an iterative process to adjust the pressures of my tire to achieve even tread wear across the tires. Over the years, and over 50= tires, I've noticed that Michelin and Bridgestone tires wear more evenly at close to the door jamb decal pressures. Continental and Goodyear tires seem to need more pressure, and ride harshly because of this.

I have had trouble with Michelin's though. I had a new tire delivered with a "creak" in the bead. There was one spot on one of four tires where when I grabbed the tire by the bead it would make a creaking noise. Tire Rack sent me a new tire and a shipping label to send the bad one back. Frau Putzer managed to damage some Michelin Green tires in less than 40k miles on a FWD Honda Accord. During the third 8k-mile rotation stint on the front, all four tires started "chunking," having large pieces of the tread blocks tear off. The OE Michelin tire on the Accord were fine, lasting 79k miles with no chunking. The Michelin PS's on the back of my E46 M3 would always wear more in the middle, despite me reducing the pressure to less than the door jamb decal pressure.

A neighbor was the "zone guy" for GM. He'd get involved when there was a warranty dispute with customers. He said that Michelin had the lowest defect rate of all their tire suppliers, and that when they had to replace a customer's tires under warranty, they usually did so with Michelins.
I've had one Michelin tire loosen up its belt, another two went bad and needed to be put back since rotating them made it worse. That's it. Total experience has been very positive compared to other brands. I've driven average 20,000 miles a year for 47 years.

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 08-27-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i; 2000 Z3
Continental tires

I have Continental Extreme contact DWS on my 528 and Z3. Very happy. I live in NC and don't drive in snow so next time I would probably get Continental summer tires rather than all season. All season are still pretty no good in snow.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunichMark View Post
I guess Tire selection is very similar to how we Dress...

Some don't care, others Dress up all the time... It's not like we go to Wal-Mart everyday and need to be at our best ;-)
IMHO there are things that can be compromised and things that can not. These include, shoes, mattresses, pillows, tires, brakes... things that can have an affect on one's life.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 08-27-2019, 04:18 PM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosms1 View Post
I would not mix tires in a any AWD. In an all-wheel-drive system, the central computer ensures that each wheel gets the right amount of torque. It reduces slippage and maximizes the wheel control. If any of the tires have less tread amount or smaller circumference than the others, the computer will take incorrect readings and send wrong information to other components. Driving with mismatched tires for a long time can burn out the drivetrain.

- Yes, but tire diameters have to be way out of line; such as, 225/50 on the same axle as a 235/50. Differences of only a percent or two from uneven wear is the mechanical equivalent of mouse farts. -

With tires, you get what you pay for.

- Absolutely. After 1.5M miles of experience, I have proved this axiom over and over. I generally stick only to all season high treadwear Michelins. Continentals have good reputations, but I have yet to wear out a complete set to know. -

Old 08-27-2019, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 98 Z3 2.8
My 22 year old son recently purchased his first (new to him) BMW F10. The car came with 4 new Continental ContiPro Contact SSR's. Not a run flat fan, the first thing I did was buy an identical OEM wheel and put a non run flat Conti Pro Contact on it. The message I was sending my son, even for use as a spare don't cheap out for some off brand tire. That spare gives mom and dad additional peace of mind when he's on the road traveling from Santa Barbara to So. Cal. when visiting...
Old 08-28-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowski View Post
My 22 year old son recently purchased his first (new to him) BMW F10. The car came with 4 new Continental ContiPro Contact SSR's. Not a run flat fan, the first thing I did was buy an identical OEM wheel and put a non run flat Conti Pro Contact on it. The message I was sending my son, even for use as a spare don't cheap out for some off brand tire. That spare gives mom and dad additional peace of mind when he's on the road traveling from Santa Barbara to So. Cal. when visiting...
Or better yet, keep the SSR's which are excellent overall and prevent him from having to change a flat tire in the middle of a busy highway....
Old 08-28-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Or better yet, keep the SSR's which are excellent overall and prevent him from having to change a flat tire in the middle of a busy highway....
I'll give you that RFT's can keep going after most rapid deflations, and there are places were a rapid deflation can be extremely dangerous. But, I've driven over 1M miles in my life and I've only had one rapid deflation, and it was caused by a rubber valve stem failure, not a tire failure.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335i, '00 323it
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
I am torn between Michlin AS3+ or DWS06 - Change requirement coming up in a couple of months...

Recently heard about Firehawk Indy 500 - any users here?
+1 on the AS3+. Love that they're quiet, have a great ride and handle well. Been using them for years now on e60, e46 and e90.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post
+1 on the AS3+. Love that they're quiet, have a great ride and handle well. Been using them for years now on e60, e46 and e90.
I have been running AS3+ from March-Oct and Blizzaks Nov-Feb. For some reason over the past 35k miles my AS3+ only have 5/32's left. Evenly worn, so not an issue with alignment, etc. And I am almost all highway @ 70mph. I need new tires and love the AS3+ ride, but that was horrible wear for me. Probably 25k miles on them in total?

Any thoughts? alternate recommendations? Thanks!
2014 535i xDrive: (Born 7/15/13) - Alpine White w/ LZET Ivory White Nappa Leather Luxury Seating, Cold Weather, Driver Assist, Luxury Line, Lighting Pkg (LED), Premium pkg, HK Sound, Luxury Line. Coded by BimmerAmerica.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: X1 2013 Diesel
Have you noticed that the reputable brands have very similar tread patterns for say 225x45 18? I guess that's because they have all come to the same conclusion re wear, grip and noise.
After much research I recently put Goodyear on my X1.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 98 Z3 2.8
Quote:
I've explained the logic and intended use of run flats with my son. I also emphasized the importance of driving to a "safe location" in the event of a run flat failure, that's the beauty of a run flat.

Trying to find a replacement run flat on a Sunday evening (or any tire of the correct size) in any town would be a miracle. The beauty of carrying a spare is to get back on the road and home safely during that 140 mile commute home, something a run flat can't guarantee.

In the future when those run flat tires need replacing that on board spare tire will give my son flexibility when $hopping for tires. If he wants to stick with run flats or save $100. per tire that'$ a decision he'll have to make...

Last edited by nowski; 08-28-2019 at 08:38 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search