Tips/Recommendations for oil change? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-17-2012, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci
Tips/Recommendations for oil change?

Hey so I'm a new owner of a 03 330ci and I'm about due for an oil change and I've been thinking about doing them my selves since I drive 5k miles a month in the car do I'll be needing them frequently. If y'all could jus help me answer whatever u can the help will be appreciated.

Is changing oil and filter on this car simple for someone not to mechanically inclined?

Is the BMW dealer the only place to buy filters?

If this was ur car which type of oil would you be using?

How often do I need to change the oil?

And if you have any other tips, recommendations, or good DIY videos it all be appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 323i 5-Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrybr100 View Post
Is changing oil and filter on this car simple for someone not to mechanically inclined?

Is the BMW dealer the only place to buy filters?

If this was ur car which type of oil would you be using?

How often do I need to change the oil?

And if you have any other tips, recommendations, or good DIY videos it all be appreciated!!!
Yes it is quite easy to change the oil without being a mechanic. Personally never touched a car before buying mine. Learned everything I have on it.

Use BMW approved oil. Either go to the dealer, or Mobil 1 0w-40.

No real trick to it. Raise the front of the car, open the drain bolt, remove the cap on the filter in the engine bay, let it drain and voila. You are done. Close the drain bolt, replace filter and add new oil. Very Simple to do.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S/ 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
Old 09-17-2012, 01:46 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Is changing oil and filter on this car simple for someone not to mechanically inclined? Yes

Is the BMW dealer the only place to buy filters? No, I buy them online, OEM Mann HU 925/4X. I buy in bulk of 10 for $52, free shipping.

If this was ur car which type of oil would you be using? Mobil 1 0-30 or 10-30. Porsche recommends Shell synthetic, but I think Shell is in bed with Porsche.

How often do I need to change the oil? There is a mileage indicator when you turn the ignition on. It is not very sophisticated sensor. The correct number is 667 gallons of gasoline consumed. That equates to 22.49 mpg average over 15,000 miles.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46/121712-1.html

Author: Dave 330i 5spd SP on 2001-11-11 at 23:24:50
Message: The OBC does not know when you changed your oil. You need to reset it yourself using the OBC. I used to do it every 5K, now 10K with 137K on the ODO Every 10K is an easy reminder. The tech who replaced leaky gaskets to the valve covers told the SA that I had the cleanest engine he had ever seen. Quite a compliment.

You need a 36mm socket to remove the lid to the filter housing. It is located on top of the engine, right in front of you, very easy to do. You will also need a 18mm socket to remove the drain plug. To reach the drain plug, you may have to remove the black plastic splash guard. My 330i does not have the splash guard. I don't use ramps to get under the car. I back the front of the car to the dip between the driveway and the street. I can reach the drain plug by crawling in just a little. Of course, replace the o-ring to the filter housing, and the copper washer to the drain plug. Put in 6.5 quarts of oil, and top off later as necessary. Now, you need to know how to reset the "dumb" oil service indicator. That will be another thread.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 09-17-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Or just buy yourself a Mity-Vac and you won`t even have to get under the car to change the oil. It will pay for itself after 2 oil changes (which most of us perform at approx. 7500 mile intervals).

Good luck !

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR7TC/..._df_B0002SR7TC

The oil capacity is 7 quarts, not 6.5 (it`s 6.5 LITERS, Dave :-)

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....

Last edited by Fast Bob; 09-17-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Is that oil you're drinking? I see the Mann filter box, but you were too drunk to replace the filter. Makes the job quicker, buy synthetic by 5 qt containers at Walmart, about $25 each.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 09-17-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Is changing oil and filter on this car simple for someone not to mechanically inclined? Yes

Is the BMW dealer the only place to buy filters? No, I buy them online, OEM Mann HU 925/4X. I buy in bulk of 10 for $52, free shipping.

If this was ur car which type of oil would you be using? Mobil 1 0-30 or 10-30. Porsche recommends Shell synthetic, but I think Shell is in bed with Porsche.

How often do I need to change the oil? There is a mileage indicator when you turn the ignition on. It is not very sophisticated sensor. The correct number is 667 gallons of gasoline consumed. That equates to 22.49 mpg average over 15,000 miles.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46/121712-1.html

Author: Dave 330i 5spd SP on 2001-11-11 at 23:24:50
Message: The OBC does not know when you changed your oil. You need to reset it yourself using the OBC. I used to do it every 5K, now 10K with 137K on the ODO Every 10K is an easy reminder. The tech who replaced leaky gaskets to the valve covers told the SA that I had the cleanest engine he had ever seen. Quite a compliment.

You need a 36mm socket to remove the lid to the filter housing. It is located on top of the engine, right in front of you, very easy to do. You will also need a 18mm socket to remove the drain plug. To reach the drain plug, you may have to remove the black plastic splash guard. My 330i does not have the splash guard. I don't use ramps to get under the car. I back the front of the car to the dip between the driveway and the street. I can reach the drain plug by crawling in just a little. Of course, replace the o-ring to the filter housing, and the copper washer to the drain plug. Put in 6.5 quarts of oil, and top off later as necessary. Now, you need to know how to reset the "dumb" oil service indicator. That will be another thread.
Thanks for all the help I will definitely Check out the oil filters!!!

Also I know you stated a 36 and 18 mm socket, but are those the only tools that I would need?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:55 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Thanks for all the help I will definitely Check out the oil filters!!!

Also I know you stated a 36 and 18 mm socket, but are those the only tools that I would need?
yep.
Do get (2) Mobil 1 in 5 qt container at WalMart (if you have one). They are a lot cheaper than buy 1 quart at a time. I've never used that suction pump, but apparently it works well since that guy Kris L uses it. It saves the hassle of having to get under the car and removing the plastic sheet (you may not have it) and oil plug. But, I always felt that draining will flush out particulates than trying to suck them out.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 09-17-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: '04 e46 Touring M-Sport
Quote:
yep.
Do get (2) Mobil 1 in 5 qt container at WalMart (if you have one). They are a lot cheaper than buy 1 quart at a time.
Right, it's good to see for those special offers of quality oil already long before it's time to oil change. It's just smart if you have oil+filter ready waiting well in time.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Keeping it surreal

I`ve been looking for years, and have never seen Mobil 1 0W-40 in 5-qt. jugs at Walmart near me, they only have that particular weight in 1-qt. bottles.

And Dave, the Mity-Vac IS as effective as a gravity drain....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I`ve been looking for years, and have never seen Mobil 1 0W-40 in 5-qt. jugs at Walmart near me, they only have that particular weight in 1-qt. bottles.

I don't think I mentioned 10-40. I use 0-30 or 10-30, or what ever they have. They are the same stuff. I doubt your engine knows the difference.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 09-17-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:

I'll look into it because changing oil in the 911 Turbo is a PITA.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
They are the same stuff. I doubt your engine knows the difference.
You are QUITE wrong about that....you obviously haven`t done your homework....

(a fine kettle of fish for the self-proclaimed "King Of Common Sense" )

Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
You are QUITE wrong about that....you obviously haven`t done your homework....

(a fine kettle of fish for the self-proclaimed "King Of Common Sense" )
My engine didn't tell me what it likes. So, I put in what I have. Next oil change will be 10-30 because that's what I have 2 jugs right now. The engine has 137K miles, and it is running strong. No problem with running it at 125 mph (GPS) on I-10 through NM. I didn't want to hit the limiter by going faster.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 09-17-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
2001 330ci oil type

Quote:

Although I see the oil cap says casterol I see everyone talking about mobil 1. Which oil and weight is the most agreed upon best oil type and weight.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
Sigh. Mobil 1 0W-40 is the ONLY grade that meets BMW LL-01 spec. It's only been posted 1000's of times here.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:35 AM

Mein Auto: '04 e46 Touring M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitexLightning View Post
Although I see the oil cap says casterol I see everyone talking about mobil 1. Which oil and weight is the most agreed upon best oil type and weight.
Generally all oils should be equivalent when they have same xxW-xx marking, but some brands are still way better than others.

Bit like with beers.
Can be two brands of beer which are generally same with same X,X%, but everyone who likes beer knows there's always difference, and even then you might get that other sometimes anyway, if it's very much cheaper.

Last edited by lgr122; 09-18-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
So again I'm no mechanic jus think it's smart for me to try as early as possibly with this car to do my own maintenance so I was watching this vid and got a little confused by something in the vid because it almost looks like he is wiping down his filter and cleaning it instead of replacing it.

I probably saw things wrong and am on one right now, but you guys are really helpful so I figured id ask.

So far, this Mitty Vac is looking like a positive especially for someone changin there oil 7-8 times a year like I will be doing.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 AM

Mein Auto: Rainbow Unicorn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
Sigh. Mobil 1 0W-40 is the ONLY grade that meets BMW LL-01 spec. It's only been posted 1000's of times here.
Lots of other oils out there meet LL-01 specs. Lubrimoly, Total and a few others come to mind. Maybe you meant 0W-40 is the only Mobil 1 to meet LL-01?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
Yes, it's the only grade of Mobil 1 that meets LL-01, not 5W-30 or 0W-30 as mentioned in a previous post.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
So again I'm no mechanic jus think it's smart for me to try as early as possibly with this car to do my own maintenance so I was watching this vid and got a little confused by something in the vid because it almost looks like he is wiping down his filter and cleaning it instead of replacing it.

I probably saw things wrong and am on one right now, but you guys are really helpful so I figured id ask.

So far, this Mitty Vac is looking like a positive especially for someone changin there oil 7-8 times a year like I will be doing.
Do quick starts and stops to see he was wiping the dipstick. He never touched the filter. He was too drunk to think about changing out the filter. The filter box never moved in the vid!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci (5 speed)
Quote:
Do quick starts and stops to see he was wiping the dipstick. He never touched the filter. He was too drunk to think about changing out the filter. The filter box never moved in the vid!
54 seconds in he replaces the filter.
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Maybe you should stick to kickin` it Gangnam Style, Dave....seems to be more your area of expertise....

Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
54 seconds in he replaces the filter.
My BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I was brain dead for not watching the entire video because I normally change out the filter while the oil is draining out of the crankcase.
There are more than one way of skinning a cat, I'm sure you have heard of that one. I keep things simple. By draining the oil and utilizing the dip in the driveway, I have eliminated the need of the oil extractor and ramps. Of course, you can change the oil/filter the way you want. How long do I intent to keep my car? A long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1109.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	342369  

Last edited by Dave 330i; 09-18-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
You put over 50k miles per year on your car?

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search