New 340i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: Tesla P85+
New 340i

Picked up the wife's 340i today.

Here's the config:

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather with Dark Oyster highlight
Aluminum Hexagon Trim with Black high-gloss highlight
Driver Assistance Package
M Sport Package
19" Light Alloy Wheel Double-spoke Style442 M Orbit Grey with Mixed Perf. Tires
Technology Package
Track Handling Package
Black Kidney Grills
Front Splitter Black
Manual Transmission
Cold Weather Package

Absolutely fantastic experience working with London and Michael Brown at BMW of Seattle. Couldn't ask for more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8475.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	543258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8474.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	543259  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2015, 11:17 PM
kid in a candy store

Mein Auto: 2016 340i 6MT
Congrats!

Similar to my build, too!

Please tell us what you both think of the car initially, and over time.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 428ix Gran Coupe
Awesome. Congratulations! More photos please

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 340i M Sport
Nice ride!!
Old 12-23-2015, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330 cic
Nice, good options and your wife drives a manual, lucky you.................
Old 12-23-2015, 11:32 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor
Nice car and nice color!

I'm jonesing for those 19" 442m wheels next year to run summer rubber.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:33 AM

Initial Impressions.

This is my first BMW.

Other cars are a 1988 Porsche 911 and a Tesla Model S P85+. Have owned Audi's and Mercedes in the past.

[exterior styling]

I was tentative about getting the 19" 442 orbit grey wheels, white color (have never owned a white car before), and the black front lip. Happy to report that this combination has far exceeded my expectations. In fact, I now think it is one of the best combinations you can get for this type of car.

I'm also glad I talked myself out of tinting the car (35%) prior to delivery. With the black interior and the white exterior, this car actually looks like it has a slight tint already. I'll post more pictures so that you all can chime in, but I think it looks fine as is.

[interior styling]

I like the feel of the steering wheel, love the manual transmission shift knob, and the space in this vehicle. I don't ever remember sitting in a 3 series (I'm 6 feet 1) and having room for another person to sit in the back.

I like the subtlety of the interior instrument cluster (during the day).

That said, the interior leaves a LOT to be desired. The center console, CD player, climate control looks like it's stuck in the 80s. The iDrive panel looks like it's an afterthought. I'm also having a hard time coming to terms with the texture of the upgraded Dakota leather.

BMW really should be considering replacing the entire center dash with a large touch screen (ala Tesla). How many people actually use a CD player these days? It's a subjective thing but I prefer the feel of the nappa leather in the audi's, mercedes, etc. vs. the leatherette type feel of the (upgraded) dakota leather in the BMWs.

I also think that BMW should think about carrying the subtlety of the instrument cluster into the night as opposed to having it be lit up like a christmas tree at night.

[driving]

I'm obviously respecting the rules of the break in period but how this thing drives / handles is nothing short of spectacular. Compared to the 911 which feels like driving a go kart on rails, and the Model S which has instant acceleration, this car definitely holds it's own. It's very very well balanced, has great sound, and feels phenomenal to drive.

Everybody tried to talk out of us the manual transmission on this car but I'm so glad we stuck with it. The hill assist and rev matching are both nice features. It's a fairly forgiving manual transmission (which is great for my wife) and it's hard to go wrong with 3 pedals .

I'm still learning the differences between Sport and Sport+. Been doing most of the driving under Sport but would love people's perspective on what they use.

More pictures soon.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor
Would love to see more pictures. BMW are well known for their spartan utilitarian cockpits. It's a love hate thing but it will grow on you a bit over time. I-drive is actually top of the class having spent a lot of time with Mercedes Komand and Audi MMI recently... it just has a steep learning curve.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:31 PM

More pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0374.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	543336   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0375.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	543337   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0377.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	543338   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0378.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	543339  

Last edited by khans; 12-23-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:02 PM
BMWCCA '505245

Send a message via AIM to LycanNyc
Mein Auto: F80 ZCP
Looks great, whats the black front lip you have?

7/14 - 3/16 | 14' X3 Msport
3/16 - 7/18 | 16' X4 M40i LBB
7/18 -Present | 17' F80 ZCP
WishList - X3M or X4M

Member: BMWCCA #505245
Old 12-23-2015, 05:04 PM

That's the "Front Splitter Black" option in the build config.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:06 PM
BMWCCA '505245

Send a message via AIM to LycanNyc
Mein Auto: F80 ZCP
That adds a very nice tone to the car!
Riding those 19s in the winter too?

7/14 - 3/16 | 14' X3 Msport
3/16 - 7/18 | 16' X4 M40i LBB
7/18 -Present | 17' F80 ZCP
WishList - X3M or X4M

Member: BMWCCA #505245
Old 12-23-2015, 05:25 PM

No plans of taking it out in the snow - not that that is a problem living in Seattle.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:00 PM
kid in a candy store

Quote:
Originally Posted by khans View Post
Initial Impressions.

This is my first BMW.

Other cars are a 1988 Porsche 911 and a Tesla Model S P85+. Have owned Audi's and Mercedes in the past.

[exterior styling]

I was tentative about getting the 19" 442 orbit grey wheels, white color (have never owned a white car before), and the black front lip. Happy to report that this combination has far exceeded my expectations. In fact, I now think it is one of the best combinations you can get for this type of car.

I'm also glad I talked myself out of tinting the car (35%) prior to delivery. With the black interior and the white exterior, this car actually looks like it has a slight tint already. I'll post more pictures so that you all can chime in, but I think it looks fine as is.

[interior styling]

I like the feel of the steering wheel, love the manual transmission shift knob, and the space in this vehicle. I don't ever remember sitting in a 3 series (I'm 6 feet 1) and having room for another person to sit in the back.

I like the subtlety of the interior instrument cluster (during the day).

That said, the interior leaves a LOT to be desired. The center console, CD player, climate control looks like it's stuck in the 80s. The iDrive panel looks like it's an afterthought. I'm also having a hard time coming to terms with the texture of the upgraded Dakota leather.

BMW really should be considering replacing the entire center dash with a large touch screen (ala Tesla). How many people actually use a CD player these days? It's a subjective thing but I prefer the feel of the nappa leather in the audi's, mercedes, etc. vs. the leatherette type feel of the (upgraded) dakota leather in the BMWs.

I also think that BMW should think about carrying the subtlety of the instrument cluster into the night as opposed to having it be lit up like a christmas tree at night.

[driving]

I'm obviously respecting the rules of the break in period but how this thing drives / handles is nothing short of spectacular. Compared to the 911 which feels like driving a go kart on rails, and the Model S which has instant acceleration, this car definitely holds it's own. It's very very well balanced, has great sound, and feels phenomenal to drive.

Everybody tried to talk out of us the manual transmission on this car but I'm so glad we stuck with it. The hill assist and rev matching are both nice features. It's a fairly forgiving manual transmission (which is great for my wife) and it's hard to go wrong with 3 pedals .

I'm still learning the differences between Sport and Sport+. Been doing most of the driving under Sport but would love people's perspective on what they use.

More pictures soon.
Here are some of my initial thoughts on mine.

I primarily drive in Sport, since Sport+ seems to be completely unnecessary to me. For a good, recent explanation of the difference, see post #4 here.

Pics look great. Interesting to see someone here posting about their thoughts coming FROM Porsche & Tesla.

About tint: you may not need it as much as some of the rest of us do because of your location. I don't tint my cars here in Texas because I think it makes it COOL. 120 degrees with tint, versus 140-160 degrees without can't necessarily be defined as "cool".

However, I think it definitely makes a difference if you're keeping the car long term. The materials used inside (like the dashboard, etc.) will definitely get affected here by the Texas sun because of the UV rays. I compared on my last two cars with people who got similar cars at similar times without tint, compared to mine with tint. Their dashboards (and sometimes, their door panels, etc.) definitely didn't look very good. Just a thought...could be irrelevant for most of the people on this forum based on location/leasing/etc.

About the interior: agreed. Everyone around me agreed that the S4 that I was cross-shopping had the better looking interior. But the iDrive is not a bad system at all...writing on the iDrive wheel with my finger has come in handy...once.

I'm really liking your black/white contrasting scheme. I have a similar look going, and I am not regretting it. I will do more things in the future, but for now, just the same wheels, black kidney grills, and the carbon fiber trunk spoiler. So good choice!
Old 12-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
Why would you spend so much money on a car that you dislike the look of the interior, especially the center console. The drivers seat is where one spends all their time and you don't seem to like the layout of the gauge colors and look of the center console and the navi being an after thought. For me I have to fall in love with the interior and exterior before I will buy a car especially one over 50k.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:28 PM
kid in a candy store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4life View Post
Why would you spend so much money on a car that you dislike the look of the interior, especially the center console. The drivers seat is where one spends all their time and you don't seem to like the layout of the gauge colors and look of the center console and the navi being an after thought. For me I have to fall in love with the interior and exterior before I will buy a car especially one over 50k.
Not sure if this was addressed to me or the OP...

...but for me, I didn't care about the interior look as much as the function. I could stand it. It wasn't terrible, by any means...just really plain and simple.

I don't look at it much anyway...I look out the windshield, and listen to the car right now.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:22 AM

I prioritize the driving experience over how the interior and even parts of the exterior look.

How this thing handles and feels is sublime.

The interior feels a bit dated but it's comfortable (and practical).

I would maintain that the perfect car doesn't exist, but if it did, it would have the following:

- German driving dynamics (Borrowing heavily from BMW, Porsche, Audi)
- Italian Styling (Maserayi, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo)
- Japanese Reliability (Acura, Toyota)
- Tesla Digital (nobody does the whole connects car experience better than Tesla)
Old 12-25-2015, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 & 2018 F80
Very nice built with those config, awesome ride.
2014 F30 335i Melbourne Red ( Sold )
2013 E93 M3 Melbourne Red DCT
2012 E93 Space Gray (Retired BMW buy back)
2009 E82 ( Sold )
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 6MT ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 12-26-2015, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Would love to see more pictures. BMW are well known for their spartan utilitarian cockpits. It's a love hate thing but it will grow on you a bit over time. I-drive is actually top of the class having spent a lot of time with Mercedes Komand and Audi MMI recently... it just has a steep learning curve.
I like BMW's cockpits and iDrive. I just bought a new 340i but tried out Lexus and immediately hated their busy odd cockpit complete with analogue clock. Ugh.
I really liked Mercedes interior too but consumer reports says their reliability is way below average.
Loving my 340i and I came from a base model 320i...
Old 12-26-2015, 03:13 PM
GasCompression

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtougher View Post
Not sure if this was addressed to me or the OP...

...but for me, I didn't care about the interior look as much as the function. I could stand it. It wasn't terrible, by any means...just really plain and simple.

I don't look at it much anyway...I look out the windshield, and listen to the car right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khans View Post
I prioritize the driving experience over how the interior and even parts of the exterior look.

How this thing handles and feels is sublime.

The interior feels a bit dated but it's comfortable (and practical).

I would maintain that the perfect car doesn't exist, but if it did, it would have the following:

- German driving dynamics (Borrowing heavily from BMW, Porsche, Audi)
- Italian Styling (Maserayi, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo)
- Japanese Reliability (Acura, Toyota)
- Tesla Digital (nobody does the whole connects car experience better than Tesla)
What I really like about the interior is the simplicity of the layout:
  • Traditional Gauges, very easy to read, not some faddish design
  • Center Dash Controls are a simple reach and large buttons, doesn't require MBA or Braille to understand
  • The LCD Navigation screen is mounted very high so your eyes do not drift too far from the front of the car when driving
  • Separation of the drivers / Passenger sides, heated seat controls, individual controls, etc.
  • The cup holder in front of the shifter, avoids things under your arm when driving or shifting
  • My only complaint is of the materials are not as high grade as they could be, should be upgrade interior with upgraded packages, if you get the 340i or 435i one should have a stiched leather dash to show the $25K of options over the base 320i.

The drive is spectacular, IMHO, even the electronic steering.

2014 Black/Tan 335i M-Sport/Sport Automatic Transmission/Premium Package/Technology Package
Cold Weather Package/Driver Assistance Package/Harmon Kardon sound/19" Wheels 403M HP tires
Old 12-26-2015, 05:13 PM

Well put. It does look the the interior quality have been upgraded a bit in 2016 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
What I really like about the interior is the simplicity of the layout:
  • Traditional Gauges, very easy to read, not some faddish design
  • Center Dash Controls are a simple reach and large buttons, doesn't require MBA or Braille to understand
  • The LCD Navigation screen is mounted very high so your eyes do not drift too far from the front of the car when driving
  • Separation of the drivers / Passenger sides, heated seat controls, individual controls, etc.
  • The cup holder in front of the shifter, avoids things under your arm when driving or shifting
  • My only complaint is of the materials are not as high grade as they could be, should be upgrade interior with upgraded packages, if you get the 340i or 435i one should have a stiched leather dash to show the $25K of options over the base 320i.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 428ix Gran Coupe
Excellent. Love the front splitter

Old 12-27-2015, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 328 X-Drive
very nice car...congrats!
Old 12-27-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl428xGC View Post
Excellent. Love the front splitter
Yeah I love that too. Gotta have M for that reason alone. :-)

photo IMG_0337_zpswioqsliq.jpg

Last edited by darwin1984; 12-27-2015 at 10:13 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search