The death of Internal Combustion is nigh! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
The death of Internal Combustion is nigh!

Yep the fog is clearing....stuff like [this] can, suddenly, make 5 refineries around the Bay Area....excessively redundant....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017, 08:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2019 X3 Black Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post

Yep the fog is clearing....stuff like [this] can, suddenly, make 5 refineries around the Bay Area....excessively redundant....
Nigh. Good word, I haven't heard it used in a while.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinIl View Post

Kinda Biblical, isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 X3 Black Sapphire
Quote:
Kinda Biblical, isn't it?
Yes. Ominous too.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinIl View Post
It's trendy these days.
https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...n&content=nigh
Old 07-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: 435
Not really:

http://business.financialpost.com/op...4-8b619c0129f0

Previous: 2003 540 Touring; 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 07-12-2017, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 328I
Nigh can mean what ever the reader wants. Is it near or far? it sounds so cool.

Does this mean that since Governor Moonbeam's carbon credits are nigh,it's really ok that I'm running Catless in the Peoples Republic of California?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexpat View Post
Nigh can mean what ever the reader wants. Is it near or far? it sounds so cool.

Does this mean that since Governor Moonbeam's carbon credits are nigh,it's really ok that I'm running Catless in the Peoples Republic of California?

Yer nigh on right if can afford Moonbeam credits.

But I tell you now: The days o'BMW handling and outrageous power are coming to a end! The Ultimate Driver must morph to a sweet, soft, and safe environment, where the coffee don't spill and the thrill is virtual....or be history....

Why, self drivers are just one 3 year lease away. Ready?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:49 PM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: 435
Quote:
Yer nigh on right if can afford Moonbeam credits.

But I tell you now: The days o'BMW handling and outrageous power are coming to a end! The Ultimate Driver must morph to a sweet, soft, and safe environment, where the coffee don't spill and the thrill is virtual....or be history....

Why, self drivers are just one 3 year lease away. Ready?
So you are talking about the 320?

Previous: 2003 540 Touring; 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 07-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog View Post
So you are talking about the 320?

Dammit man!

Old 07-19-2017, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
BMW has been playing around with capacitors instead of batteries in "mild-hybrids," only regenerating and storing small amounts of electrical energy for short times (not long enough for the capacitors to leak down significantly).

The whole "mild-(anything)" concept is a profound one: "Do something new, but only as long or as far as there is still a benefit."

We've been hearing about the death of the IC engine for 50 years. Instead, they just keep getting cleaner, more fuel efficient, more powerful, more durable, more..., more..., more...

Honda used to sell a CNG powered Civic, mostly to fleet customers, but briefly to consumers. In cities with extremely poor air quality, the tail pipe emissions were actually cleaner than the ambient air.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535d
Quote:

nigh... probably not. The battery technology in autos today is over 20 years old. The Tesla has a multitude of laptop batteries as storage. Not exactly new age.... but it works. They are hitting the wall to bring down cost. Lots of new battery technology being developed + storage but personal experience in watching and scaling emerging technology I estimate that this will take another generation before this is mainstream. Hybrid will continue to develop as a stop gap transition path to full electric. Remove the subsidies and it slows down further.

Not a matter of if... but when. Meanwhile I will enjoy my hydrocarbon powered vehicle.

BB
Old 07-21-2017, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBNY View Post
nigh... probably not. The battery technology in autos today is over 20 years old. The Tesla has a multitude of laptop batteries as storage. Not exactly new age.... but it works. They are hitting the wall to bring down cost. Lots of new battery technology being developed + storage but personal experience in watching and scaling emerging technology I estimate that this will take another generation before this is mainstream. Hybrid will continue to develop as a stop gap transition path to full electric. Remove the subsidies and it slows down further.

Not a matter of if... but when. Meanwhile I will enjoy my hydrocarbon powered vehicle.

BB
Agree with this. If they start banning IC cars in city centers, then electrics will get a big boost. Europe is starting to do it.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Agree with this. If they start banning IC cars in city centers, then electrics will get a big boost. Europe is starting to do it.

They'll ban human driving too, optimizing battery life and eliminating collisions, all kinds. Maybe tax our cars so we'll Uber/Lyft.

Kinda like heaven.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Banning human driving is a bit of a ways away. It takes infrastructure to allow machines to do their job correctly. Given that they can barely keep the roads paved, I don't think that's going to happen...my speculation is that there's too much corruption in big cities and money tends to end up in the wrong hands.

The only reason we don't see many accidents involving self driving cars is because there aren't very many such cars on the road. Imagine a car that has a Microsoft Windows moment as its hurtling down the highway. Everything works as it's supposed to until it doesn't...
Old 07-22-2017, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
If the magazines of my youth were to be believed, I would by now be driving a car powered by a turbine at the very least, but here I am, still sitting behind masses of metal being thrown around under the bonnet in a way the Wright brothers would have thought novel....but dammit nebermind,...because DRIVE!!!!

As a young teenager, looking forward to get my licence to get behind the wheel was about being free to go where I want, any time I felt like....later on I quickly realized that I want to drive because I like "to drive"....
I don't think I'll ever prefer being driven around by any form of software.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:09 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
And where are the flying cars we were told we would have by now. Real self driving cars are a long way off and may need to wait until we have real AIs, not just the specialized database managers (which is what the current so called AIs are now).

A few months ago I pulled up to a flashing red light, at night, at a construction zone with a police man standing in the middle of the intersection using a flashlight to direct traffic. Wonder how a self driving car would handle this situation (I'm sure it would end up much like the one which was stuck behind the double parked UPS truck). No way any self driving car without much better smarts will be able to handle all of the situations humans can currently handle. A true AI is a long way off and won't be able to fit into a car for a very long time. If your car is connected to an AI in the cloud (like some manufacturers plan) then your car is going to have fun thinking for itself when its connection the cloud is lost.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 AM
Banned

Audi's goosed an arms race --- game on!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 07-22-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
If the magazines of my youth were to be believed, I would by now be driving a car powered by a turbine at the very least, but here I am, still sitting behind masses of metal being thrown around under the bonnet in a way the Wright brothers would have thought novel....but dammit nebermind,...because DRIVE!!!!

Well....turbos
Old 07-22-2017, 08:49 PM

Lol...!Nah, this is what I meant by turbines..
[ATTACH]
Turbos, like I'm sure you know, are little spinners that recieve exhaust gases and witchcraft then happens...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170723_064423.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	626602  
Old 07-22-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
Lol...!Nah, this is what I meant by turbines..
[ATTACH]
Turbos, like I'm sure you know, are little spinners that recieve exhaust gases and witchcraft then happens...

Oh yes oh yes oh yes! Banned from Indy 500 too....

Old 07-23-2017, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i M Sport
The sad thing with electric cars is at some level the 'legacy' (pre-Tesla) car makers are not crazy about them, and have vested interests in making complex, expensive-to-maintain, planned obsolescence fossil fuel cars. They pretend to care, like "no no we're all behind electric see here's a Bolt and a Leaf and hey we even made a Cadillac EV see?" but nobody takes this stuff seriously. I have little doubt if Chevy honestly wanted to make a Model S killer they could, and they have the economy of scale and market presence to sell a loaded S-like car for way less than Tesla charges and with more availability.

No wait, let's pretend electric cars are a brand new thing and we didn't even make them like 20 years ago or anything.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSubZero View Post
The sad thing with electric cars is at some level the 'legacy' (pre-Tesla) car makers are not crazy about them, and have vested interests in making complex, expensive-to-maintain, planned obsolescence fossil fuel cars. They pretend to care, like "no no we're all behind electric see here's a Bolt and a Leaf and hey we even made a Cadillac EV see?" but nobody takes this stuff seriously. I have little doubt if Chevy honestly wanted to make a Model S killer they could, and they have the economy of scale and market presence to sell a loaded S-like car for way less than Tesla charges and with more availability.

No wait, let's pretend electric cars are a brand new thing and we didn't even make them like 20 years ago or anything.
Well there is this ugly capitalistic thing called profits that the CEO's of the legacy car companies have to explain to to shareholders. The facts are that every manufacturer of electric vehicles, ( including Tesla) is losing money on every car that rolls out the door. Consumers simply do not want them at this point even though they are being bribed with our tax dollars to please, please buy one.

Now technology does march on as well as government interference with markets so in a few years the landscape could change. Stand by and stay tuned.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexpat View Post
The facts are that every manufacturer of electric vehicles, ( including Tesla) is losing money on every car that rolls out the door. Consumers simply do not want them at this point even though they are being bribed with our tax dollars to please, please buy one.
That's just pure nonsense. How can you possibly defend that statement in light of the fact that Tesla customers pay $80,000 to $110,000 for a Tesla? They surely aren't being forced to buy those cars.

As for the profitability of the electric car, Wall Street clearly believes that, just as many dot com companies became profitable over time, so will Tesla. And there's good reason to believe this: Tesla is selling a LOT of cars, they're just about to ship $30,000 cars and the world's largest factory will soon open, which will drive down battery costs.

Electric cars have enormous reliability advantages over conventional autos. There are thousands fewer moving parts! It's for this reason as much as any that the electric car is poised to replace the internal combustion engine in cars over the coming years.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:57 AM

BMW says it has spent nearly $6 billion on electric car R&D recently and will continue to invest heavily in adding electric and plug-in hybrid cars to its selection of models.
The company has also announced that it will have an all-electric 3 Series sedan on display at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September.

Electric cars will become the rational choice for motorists in the western world sometime between 2017 and 2024, according to some reports, as their car showroom prices fall, their ranges increase and charging infrastructure becomes more widespread.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search