Time to make a financial decision - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
So what **IS** the "BMW recommended" service interval for coolant on the E70?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 e70 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
So what **IS** the "BMW recommended" service interval for coolant on the E70?

Well, if the question is coming from you Ard, I already know there is no answer for that.

So I had read previously (where? Prolly here on BF) that itís every two years. But , there was no information about the service intervals in the owners manual.

NewTIS recommendations are to inspect and top up if necessary.

I feel like the cooling system is totally neglected by BMW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Files
File Type: pdf water pump replacemet x5 e70.pdf (1.36 MB, 55 views)

Last edited by AlphaBetaX5; 10-18-2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: attaching a water pump coolant pump DIY
Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaX5 View Post
Well, if the question is coming from you Ard, I already know there is no answer for that.

So I had read previously (where? Prolly here on BF) that itís every two years. But , there was no information about the service intervals in the owners manual.

NewTIS recommendations are to inspect and top up if necessary.

I feel like the cooling system is totally neglected by BMW!
Grasshopper, you are finding your way...

Yes, the official stance by BMW is to grossly under-maintain these cars.

Years ago the German DNA was clear- maintain, inspect, maintain... to the point that the public felt 'Boy those BMWs are expensive and finicky to maintain'. So, as a good corporation with 360 quality, they fed that back to the design team. Their solution was simple: remove it from the official manuals and focus on spinning stories of how BMW engineering designed cars to need less maintenance.

Problem. Solved.

(Back to your point: it isnt that people are all of a sudden maintaining coolant systems to BMW standards after their first pump failure....)

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 11:07 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
How does a properly installed coolant anti-corrosion package deplete to require occasional replacement?

IIRC Honda says it's due to allowing oxygen into the heated spaces of the metal block with low coolant levels. Generally corrosion requires susceptible materials, a current carrying medium and an electron donor.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 PM

Really?

Self-diagnosable?

I have never read or seen a report saying ECP warns of e.. incorrect mixture ratio, or stiff propeller movement, (which is my case. Propellers barely spin above 250 RPM)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECP.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	690417  
Old 10-18-2017, 08:46 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

BMW has been known to discuss aspirational technical features. Like their magic oil quality sensor....

So when the SA says "these pumps can tell if you didnt mix the coolant right",you know where they get it....

Last edited by ard; 10-18-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:38 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
BMW has been known to discuss aspirational technical features. Like their magic oil quality sensor. So when the SA says "these pumps can tell if you didnt mix the coolant right",you know where they get it.
A BMW electric water/coolant pump is a brushless DC motor. The multiphase DC power supply makes the rotating magnetic fields that the rotor follows around with a small lag angle that creates the Counter Electro Motive Force that appears in the stator windings as impedance.

Speed deviation appears as low impedance in the stator causing high current for as long as the condition continues. Either low lag angle or loss of synchronous speed will cause high current.

A stalled rotor will cause higher current on start-up.

Air in the cooling system will cause irregularly high and low current as the impeller unloads in the air bubble volume and loads in the water slugs. This air can be from improper venting bleeding or due to low coolant leve.

24 VDC battery is obvious.

Improper coolant mixture is problematic. Ethylene glycol is only 10% denser than water, 1.11 grams/cubic centimeter while water defines density 1 gram/cubic centimeter. It is conceivable that there is a nominal current parameter that is sufficiently sensitive to detect a 10% variation in fluid density.

What alarm DTC are generated by what the EWP control circuitry reports to the ECU is a different issue..

I would have to see a disconnected impeller to believe that is more than very unlikely.

The magic oil quality detector is described as measuring the dielectric constant of the oil as conductance and as capacitance and deriving level, and a quality parameter. That is quite feasible.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 10-19-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:46 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Right

There is 'possible', which is different that 'actual'.

"Quite feasible" is differnet than 'this is how BMW implements an oil quality sensor that monitors oil depletion and dirves teh CBS"

Old 10-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: Ram 3500 flatbed
I am just going to ask you guys a very simple question, SHOULD I BUY A 2010 or 2011 X5 35d. I have always dreamed of being married to a beautiful woman how would sit shotgun in a fine Green BMW with orange leather. I have accomplished the first goal and now am set to finish this dream. I have found a fully loaded 2010 x5 xdrive 35d for around 15k. I would argue the mile are high, but holy momma it's gorgeous. I am mechanically inclined to watch youtube videos and turn a wrench or two. I am from a Toyota 22r family, meaning I KNOW reliability. I guess what we want may not be what we should get. I love diesels for torque and performance, so I am really only interested in the 35d. Anyway, I hope I have given you an isight to my thinking here. I feel that used Luxury cars could be an opportunity for those of us working folk can own something legacy. I mean a 70,000 car selling for 15,000 just 6 to 7 years after production, WHAT GIVES? Is it that these cars actually suck, or is it that the market is flooded with used luxury cars. Those who by luxury cars buy them new. If there are any other vehicles out there let me know. Do you guys remember the days when the volvo 240 was one of the most reliable and sought after used luxury cars? Whats today's used 240?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Technically all of those are possible and they are very technically correct.

But again, I have never read or heard a report of a message or an error code generated under these conditions.

My ecp spins one revolution per second when temperature is at 100C, Compare it to 100 per second. That is a reasonable condition for the ecp to inform the computers on board to generate a fault code. Yet it doesnít.

Simply, what BMW claims its ecp does, is far from fact.

Same concept applies to oil quality sensor in transfer case and transmission.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorcupinePrintr View Post
I am just going to ask you guys a very simple question, SHOULD I BUY A 2010 or 2011 X5 35d. I have always dreamed of being married to a beautiful woman how would sit shotgun in a fine Green BMW with orange leather. I have accomplished the first goal and now am set to finish this dream. I have found a fully loaded 2010 x5 xdrive 35d for around 15k. I would argue the mile are high, but holy momma it's gorgeous. I am mechanically inclined to watch youtube videos and turn a wrench or two. I am from a Toyota 22r family, meaning I KNOW reliability. I guess what we want may not be what we should get. I love diesels for torque and performance, so I am really only interested in the 35d. Anyway, I hope I have given you an isight to my thinking here. I feel that used Luxury cars could be an opportunity for those of us working folk can own something legacy. I mean a 70,000 car selling for 15,000 just 6 to 7 years after production, WHAT GIVES? Is it that these cars actually suck, or is it that the market is flooded with used luxury cars. Those who by luxury cars buy them new. If there are any other vehicles out there let me know. Do you guys remember the days when the volvo 240 was one of the most reliable and sought after used luxury cars? Whats today's used 240?
You probably should have started your own thread. Not sure if you've read through some recent posts that discuss the tpic you bring up, here is the latest diesel related one:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1121849

As to today's new Volvo 240? I think it's a Lexus GS if you want a sedan, and the GX if you want a real SUV.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:

I donít have a 3.5d. But from my readings on this forum, seems like they are more reliable than gas engines. Except the emission modules/parts.

There are good loads of folks here driving d cars.

I personally am unfamiliar with d engines. (Not a pro when it comes to gas engines either, but Iíve been more exposed to gas ones). I think I would have purchased a d engines, had I had todayís information about them.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaX5 View Post
Simply, what BMW claims its ecp does, is far from fact.
Pierburg claims it, the builder.

Notice that your screen shot says ďcan diagnose the following faults.Ē Not that they are implemented in all ECP models.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:23 PM

Received the new pump ... waiting for the thermostat.

One thing I don't have an answer:

ISTA can spin the water pump at 95% of its max speed.
Water pump normal speed at 108C is only ~60 RPM.

So on ISTA: when I tested the water pump to spin at 95% its max speed, it actually did spin very fast, as I could hear the noise was very noticeable.
It also performed the 50% speed audibly too! The noise was not as load as when I ran the 95%, but still load.

Path: ISTA--> DME--> Component triggering--> Electric water pump

but when car was idling and reached 108C, pump was still spinning at its very low speed (~60 RPM).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-19_21h01_14.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	692657

Is there another factor that I am missing?
Old 08-21-2018, 05:44 AM

Time to make a financial decision

To close this thread,

Financial decision was made to sell the X5.

No BMW for now!

And thank you everyone for your invaluable information shared for the community!

Looking forward returning to bimmerfest in future.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 diesel
Quote:

i totally understand the working folk point but these cars can get you to the poor house. Much better be served with a Lexus to roll on a budget.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw, engine, malfunction, reliable, transmission, x5

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search