Cool feature on corolla’s climate control - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 340 Xdrive Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
My experience with F3x cars, including my own, is that they have numerous stupid quirks and examples of illogical design for the controls and gadgets, with the automatic climate control system being particularly frustrating (though as mentioned earlier in this thread, BMW has fixed some design issues in later model years). At the same time, F3x offers very good driving dynamics even if they aren't up to the level of say an Alfa Romeo Giulia or Cadillac ATS. And in the U.S. market, F30 can still be equipped manual transmission. I'd say the latter two items adequately compensate for the former in my F30 320i 6MT.

Toyota on the other hand really excels at user friendly design for the controls and gadgets in their vehicles, but other than the 86 and some of the new TNGA platform based cars, isn't known for exemplary driving dynamics.

It remains to be seen which direction BMW goes with G20. Other threads here on Bimmerfest suggest that G20 may be both better to drive AND evince better designed controls and gadgets, so I'm optimistic.
I wouldn't say illogical at all. Actually I would argue the reverse. Most features are over engineered for specific reason. If you don't understand what, or why, then perhaps it seems illogical. Our auto climate gives us control over how aggressive it is... most do not. The hot cool dial is actually a real benefit when it's functioning is understood.

Just a side note, does anyone realize that the air turns to defroster after you wash your windshield? It does this for a minute or so. Any guesses why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
[QUOTE=jjrandorin;12174417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Yeah, that's the one I'm referring to.
Really? I use that thing all the time and it is outstanding.

Yet another reason (along with diminished maintenance service and elimination of MSDs) that I'm probably going to just buy my 328d off-lease and be done with new BMWs.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: can you guess?
I wish BMWs had manual controls. All you need is

a. circular knob for fan speed
b. circular know for regulator of heat, how much coolant is flowing through the heating system
c. circular knob for distribution knob - off, what vents

Then have a AC on or off and a recirc button.

Very simple. Easy to adjust while driving and almost by feel. For oldsters, no need to look through bifocals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2018, 04:06 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post
The scroll wheel is not automatic.... by it's function. It is a manually scroll wheel. I think you are confusing two things. I agree with you that the scroll wheel shouldn't be in Idrive.

My point was to the OP that the auto system doesn't need to show you what it is doing (feet, vent, defrost) when in auto mode.

My other point, is that people tend to focus these stupid issues when electronic gadgets takes precedence over how the car drives. It's the new direction of BMW I guess I should embrace it.
The climate control is automatic... responding to your post about why have a need to fiddle with auto climate control. I am not confused.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 02-01-2018, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 328I
I am not sure if this is stupid or genius but BMW has a propencity for overengeneering. For example: I left a paper airplane model on the passenger seat. All of a sudden a few minutes into the ride the Idrive showed warning messages regarding SRS/Airbag system malfunction etc. I know that majority of the electornics is Bosch and as such sucks by defalut and such failures are to be expected. So, when I got home, I removed the 15-gram-airplane off the seat and locked the car. Next morning there was no fault lights and scary messages. Turns out besides "reading" the weight sensor in the seat and the seat belt sensor, the computer is also reading info from sensors detecting warping in the magnetic field of the inside seat area. If these dont match-a warning is displayed...
So, no paper, no unbrella, no leather jacket, no nothing is placed on the passenger seat anymore-and no warnings since. That until the Bosch electornics do what they do best and fail at a very expensive fashion one day
Old 02-01-2018, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: F31-325D, F11-535XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantir View Post
I am not sure if this is stupid or genius but BMW has a propencity for overengeneering. For example: I left a paper airplane model on the passenger seat. All of a sudden a few minutes into the ride the Idrive showed warning messages regarding SRS/Airbag system malfunction etc. I know that majority of the electornics is Bosch and as such sucks by defalut and such failures are to be expected. So, when I got home, I removed the 15-gram-airplane off the seat and locked the car. Next morning there was no fault lights and scary messages. Turns out besides "reading" the weight sensor in the seat and the seat belt sensor, the computer is also reading info from sensors detecting warping in the magnetic field of the inside seat area. If these dont match-a warning is displayed...
So, no paper, no unbrella, no leather jacket, no nothing is placed on the passenger seat anymore-and no warnings since. That until the Bosch electornics do what they do best and fail at a very expensive fashion one day

Clearly something wrong with your car and not the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
I routinely throw my backpack w/laptop, groceries, and take-out food on the passenger seat without setting off the SRS warning. Something's wrong with your sensor.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 AM

Thanks guys. Stealer visit scheduled. Seems my SA's explanation of the fault that they "could not replicate" at my previous visit is not holding water...

Last edited by Palantir; 02-01-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:01 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
I drive to and from work every day with my briefcase on my passenger seat--no issue.

A "paper airplane model"? The "magnetic field"? You are making this up.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 AM

A "paper airplane model"? The "magnetic field"? You are making this up.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, Nope. My son loves Snoopy and airplanes so I make him models to put together for fun. An assembled version of the airplane on the first two pics you see below was resting on the passenger seat when the warning was displayed. Previous time the warning was displayed, my leather jacket was on the seat. Both times the dealer "could not replicate fault". Hopefully third time is the charm.

For reference.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...hmentid=883061
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE0C11F4-7303-48BF-ACC5-A8BB124D97FE_1517508625386.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	763073   Click image for larger version

Name:	5CC18887-58C4-4A35-BAB6-961C249265FA_1517508784716.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	763081   Click image for larger version

Name:	309DDB7E-6A1B-4F9F-97EC-BEFD5CF6A848_1517509563769.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	763089   Click image for larger version

Name:	51EA437A-1C7E-460D-B193-6585BBAB6086_1517509572265.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	763097  

Last edited by Palantir; 02-01-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Having gotten my car back from the body shop 2 days ago after about 18 days in a corolla, I can say that in low beam mode the Corolla's headlights are way better than my F30 with xenons. In high beam, I think F30 does a tiny bit better but given the amount of traffic around where I live, I seldom get to use high beams.

Also, for some reason the Corolla's seats worked better for my back.

Of course there are many negatives to the Corolla discounting driving dynamics -- imprecise steering, poor interior ergonomics, etc. -- but I am surprised by these few things that I really liked about the car.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Having gotten my car back from the body shop 2 days ago after about 18 days in a corolla, I can say that in low beam mode the Corolla's headlights are way better than my F30 with xenons. In high beam, I think F30 does a tiny bit better but given the amount of traffic around where I live, I seldom get to use high beams.

Of course there are many negatives to the Corolla discounting driving dynamics -- imprecise steering, poor interior ergonomics, etc. -- but I am surprised by these few things that I really liked about the car.
Corolla has LED light as standard option, right? If so then just LED vs. Xenon gives Corolla the edge.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:33 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
I’ve personally found the xenons in my F30 pretty mediocre, much worse than the halogens in my previous Accord. The car has been into the dealer once before where they say they adjusted but I asked them to take another look as on my home on some night I take some dark country lanes where the illumination is pretty dire and I have to keep flicking to main beams to see where I’m going.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:56 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:

This is the part where someone always says "Then go ahead and buy a Corolla...." implying that BMW ownership is reward enough not to have features of an economy car level.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:57 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Corolla has LED light as standard option, right? If so then just LED vs. Xenon gives Corolla the edge.
I had a 330 loaner with standard LEDs, and didn't think they were as good as my Xenons--the light pattern seemed inconsistent.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:48 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
You have misunderstood the operating principle of a Hall-effect sensor. It does not detect changes in the magnetic field of the volume above the seat.

BMW CCA
Old 02-11-2018, 03:52 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
That's correct namelessman. LED headlamps (low + high beam) with automatic high beam are standard on all U.S. market Corollas for MY 2018. There are two designs: single projector bi-LED on L & LE and multi-projector on SE, XLE, and XSE.

Both designs rated 'acceptable' in IIHS' headlamp evaluation.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
That's correct namelessman. LED headlamps (low + high beam) with automatic high beam are standard on all U.S. market Corollas for MY 2018. There are two designs: single projector bi-LED on L & LE and multi-projector on SE, XLE, and XSE.

Both designs rated 'acceptable' in IIHS' headlamp evaluation.
While F30 has only a marginal rating without lighting pack (which forces you to buy a bunch of other junk).
Old 02-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 340 M Sport
New bimmers have that too. The cabin temp is continuously adapting to temperatures. Some of the vents shut off then go back on again.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search