rent your bedding - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
rent your bedding

I think we are getting close to peak financial engineering.

We've heard about renting housing and furniture.

We've heard of leasing cars, and then plans such as Care by Volvo
https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/ne.../care-by-volvo

We heard about plans to rent phones.
https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/ip...pgrade-program

But today I received a magazine with an ad for renting bedding.
https://www.coyuchi.com/subscribe

The US economy is hitting a new low everyday.

"We'd like to send you our pathetic products every 24 months and we plan to keep engineering the quality out of them while charging you more and more."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 1.12.23 PM.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	792262  

Last edited by mr_clueless; 04-30-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2018, 01:32 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
How is that a new low, Mr. Clueless? How is financial engineering associated with the new low? I found today that you can subscribe to new coordinating clothes every month for around $65. You scroll through some of the type of clothing that match your characteristics.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 04-30-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
How is that a new low, Mr. Clueless? How is financial engineering associated with the new low?
It ties together several things beautifully

- It hides the real cost, so you don't know what you're paying.
- Allows people to "afford" stuff they really cannot.
- There is no incentive to building quality stuff.
- Gets a steady income stream for the company as they lower their quality.

Companies that don't engage in these tactics will put themselves out of business.

They are really counting on the financial naiveté of people.

I know many not-so-well-off people who get into a lease and later realize their mistake but it's too late by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2018, 02:48 PM
Uniquely desultory

Mein Auto: '87 325i, '86 MB 300SDL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
How is that a new low, Mr. Clueless? How is financial engineering associated with the new low? I found today that you can subscribe to new coordinating clothes every month for around $65. You scroll through some of the type of clothing that match your characteristics.
$65 a month? That's almost a good deal. Hell, a good new shirt is easily $40 or $50.

How much do you get for that?
Old 04-30-2018, 03:39 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
$65 a month? That's almost a good deal. Hell, a good new shirt is easily $40 or $50.

How much do you get for that?
https://www.stitchfix.com/men

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:42 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
It ties together several things beautifully

- It hides the real cost, so you don't know what you're paying.
- Allows people to "afford" stuff they really cannot.
- There is no incentive to building quality stuff.
- Gets a steady income stream for the company as they lower their quality.

Companies that don't engage in these tactics will put themselves out of business.

They are really counting on the financial naiveté of people.

I know many not-so-well-off people who get into a lease and later realize their mistake but it's too late by then.
You get what you pay for. Some people prefer rent instead of buy. I see that as just another option. You are paying for service, while the time you save, you have the luxury to choose what you like to do with it. You probably don't like all inclusive vacations, but some people do. I think it is a great idea to allow some who is care free from having a collection of things they don't really need or want.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 04-30-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: A car
do you replace your good bath towels every 6 months? I don't. Good quality bath sheets are bloody expensive, and they last quite a while.

I reckon ours are 3 years old now, the ones before that were maybe 5 or 6 years old before we got bored of the color, it's not like they wore out. But we tend to buy twice as many as we need and they were rotated - so that we'd put the 'dirty' towels in the wash and grab the fresh ones from the linen closet. The rental think might work better with a local company that did a laundry service I think...
Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Thinking of another way for you to spend money without trying. Great for free spending people with ads like...
Why own a car when you can swap it out for a new one as you please? Cadillac ad. Normally, I keep my cars until they die, or for a long time.
Porsches has done that for a while. For around $2000/month you can choose another car each month (not 911). Why own a car when you can drive a different one each month? .

Surely, you have seen ads promoting how to quickly payoff your mortgage by going to a 15 year loan, while the traditional loan is 30 years. Just another way for banks to make money to get you to refinance.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 05-02-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:47 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
this rent a towel model is ridiculous.
+1

I have used the same two towels in rotation long enough that I don't remember how long ago we bought them. If the place we bought them is where I am thinking, it's been nearly 10 years. Sure, they've faded, frayed and don't look great, but it's a damn bath towel. It soaks up water. I do not care what it looks like.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
+1

I have used the same two towels in rotation long enough that I don't remember how long ago we bought them. If the place we bought them is where I am thinking, it's been nearly 10 years. Sure, they've faded, frayed and don't look great, but it's a damn bath towel. It soaks up water. I do not care what it looks like.
+1 - but Mrs wyb likes to change colors or styles once in a while - I insist on buying good ones to begin with and they last and last. We might get the odd pulled thread once in a blue moon, but they're great towels and don't just unravel or turn to rubbish when that happens.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35, Subway
Okay, I have to weigh in on this. For most people, this system doesn't make sense. Even for many who use it, it doesn't make sense.
As someone who has been living in corporate housing for the past nine and a half years, it works for me. A few months here and there, we have stayed at a Residence Inn to max out our points.
If I was at home I wouldn't in a million years use this program. But, in my current situation all of our bath and bed linen would be considered rentals since they come with the apartment or condo.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Holmes View Post
Okay, I have to weigh in on this. For most people, this system doesn't make sense. Even for many who use it, it doesn't make sense.
As someone who has been living in corporate housing for the past nine and a half years, it works for me. A few months here and there, we have stayed at a Residence Inn to max out our points.
If I was at home I wouldn't in a million years use this program. But, in my current situation all of our bath and bed linen would be considered rentals since they come with the apartment or condo.
I can see where if you're in corporate housing, that rental and cleaning services being outsourced and monthly is a benefit - do you have to launder your linens, or is the laundry included in the charges? I can see where a service with laundry and rotation would be a great service, but just the use and you launder them, less useful.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35, Subway
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
I can see where if you're in corporate housing, that rental and cleaning services being outsourced and monthly is a benefit - do you have to launder your linens, or is the laundry included in the charges? I can see where a service with laundry and rotation would be a great service, but just the use and you launder them, less useful.
In the past, it was included along with weekly cleaning. In my current contract, I would have to pay extra for that so, my wife launders it with her clothes. Most of my laundry, I get reimbursed for. We have bought some linens here and there. We'll use it until we get re-deployed and then donate it or give it to friends.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search