Several Issues with 2011 X3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 08-28-2018, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Several Issues with 2011 X3

Please see my frustrations. I am sure I am not the only one.
My vehicle has over 160k miles on it and for the most part, has been very reliable because I do regular service. On December 7, I brought in my vehicle because it was making a loud whistling noise. So, for that service, they replaced the valve cover, cylinder head cover and cleared the faults. They then test drove it and no noise was prevalent, but the Cell had come back on and there are notes about the eccentric shaft sensor as well. I thought it was replaced, but apparently not. The tech also noted the oil filter housing and valve cover gasket was leaking oil. After taking the car home, I noticed a rattling coming from the engine. I opened the hood and noticed that the engine cover was not secured, and the rattling was from the screws sitting on top of the cover on top of the engine. How can a technician, that replaced the part below this not secure the engine cover? I was shocked but brought it back in. The service advisor was very apologetic and immediately had a technician put the cover back on and everything was fine.
Fast forward a few months. The car was driving fine and everything was good until April 20. The check engine light came on and service engine soon light was also on, so I brought it in. (Mileage in 160,772). The notes are as follows: Eccentric Sensor is oil contaminated Shorting signal. Poor Sealing of the Filter Housing Gaskets. They Replaced the eccentric shaft sensor and oil filter housing gaskets. Also, the PCV Valve Heater and Crank Case Ventilation heater were also replaced. They had the car a few weeks and apparently could not figure out why they couldn't get rid of the check engine light. But wait, it gets better. When I picked up the vehicle on May 1st, I drove it and didn't even reach the next intersection and a light came on that stated Low Engine Oil Level. I was shocked because all the work that was just completed had to do with the OIL! How could the technician, not fill up the oil to the capacity? Not only did he not secure the engine cover the first time, he didn't fill up the oil when it was in there for oil gasket housings among other things. Totally appalled.
I immediately called the Service Advisor when this occurred, and he apologized profusely. That seemed to be the common theme throughout this whole process for him as stated he was embarrassed. I DO NOT BLAME HIM IN THE LEAST. He has been awesome from the beginning and would recommend him for anybody that needs service.
The next day I brought the car back in for the oil to be topped off. (Mileage in 160,904). It was like a running joke between all the service advisors because I was in there so frequently for the same issue. Upon arriving, I met a different service advisor (Also wonderful throughout). I explained to her what the situation was, and she had them top off the oil. I figured everything was all set. But…..

Upon leaving the dealership, the car started sputtering, the check engine light came on, it had a brief loss of power and almost stalled. I immediately turned around and brought it back in. (Mileage in 160,904). Again, everybody was shocked to see me, and I was almost embarrassed that I had to keep bringing it back. I told them what happened. They said they would need to keep it overnight and do a road test and try to have it figured out because they don't know why it keeps happening. I have an idea why. It is probably the technician is not qualified to work on a vehicle when he keeps missing things and forgetting to fill it up with oil and attach the engine cover. But they informed me that the Master mechanic would look at it this time. The invoice was prepared the next day and here are the notes. Ignition Coil on Cylinder 6 had electrical corrosion build up creating high resistance. Performed vehicle diagnostics and clean off electrical corrosion buildup, cleared all adaptations and performed quick delete on fault memory. Also topped off 1 liter of oil. FOR AS MUCH AS IT WAS IN THERE BEFORE FOR THE AMOUNT OF TIMES, SHOULDN'T THAT HAVE BEEN CAUGHT BY THE TECHNICIAN THAT WORKED ON IT ALL THE OTHER TIMES? When I arrived to pick up the car, my original service advisor greeted me and apologized again stating this should have been caught the other times it was in there. He gave me a quart of oil and a BMW Air Freshener for the troubles. I sincerely appreciated the gesture.
On May 8th, the check engine light came on AGAIN. I brought it in (Mileage in 161,227). I was feeling that it was something I did and was feeling awful. But I wasn't the one working on the car. When the technician, the same one who was doing all the work, examined it, he stated that it was because of Broken Bolts on the Fanos Actuators. I believe it should be Vanos, but at this point I know I am nit picking. He ran the vehicle test and found that the Vanos had faults and checked that the actuators had broken bolts. They replaced both Vanos Actuators. This was a warranty and recall item. Again, how could this not have been caught before? I picked the car up on May 23 rd, 2 weeks later.
On June 8th, check engine light on AGAIN. Brought in the vehicle (Mileage in 162,528). The notes are, Found Misfire for Cylinder 6. Noticed there was a Cyl 6 misfire in history. Checked and found that the coils have been moved around.(he did this previously) Moved coil and fault, replaced coil for cyl and moved coil that was swapped back to original position. This was the third coil that was replaced and the same one that was cleaned and fixed on May 2nd.
Not even 4 days later, I brought the car back in because it was making a bad sound as if it were a diesel truck. It was sputtering as it always had. Again, I met with both advisors and as always, they were very helpful. They kept the car for a while. Sometime at the end of June, I drove by the dealership at approximately 9:30 pm to see if I could see if my car was in the garage or in the parking lot. Lo and behold, I DID find it outside. The thing that really upset me was that the hood was open, and nobody was around at all. I looked, called for people to no avail. I shut the hood, took a picture and notified the Service Advisor the next day. He checked into it and stated the technician told him he was there late working on it to see if he could figure out what was wrong. This is the same technician that worked on it EVERY TIME. Since my advisor had not given me any reason to doubt him, I believed him and let it go.

On July 2nd, my Advisor texted me and asked me to call his Manager. He told me that the issue with my car was the transmission. This came as a total shock to me because never did I get any warning about the transmission and all the issues of the way the car runs have been the same since it first went in in April. He recommended that I purchase a new vehicle instead of sinking money into the car. At this point I didn't think they were right and were just misdiagnosing the isssues again. He told me that he believes it is the transmission, I was not convinced that he knew exactly that it was the transmission. Even if I replaced the transmission, they would not even be sure it would fix the problem. I went over everything in detail with him about the history since December with the car, He listened and was attentive. He informed me that he would speak to the technician that was working on the car and would get back to me. What good would it have been to speak to the technician? He has been the one that has worked on it every step of the way from the beginning. I did not have the most confidence in his ability to diagnose or fix the issue. He is probably a very nice guy and I would hate for anything to happen to him, but as far as the quality of work goes, it is far from superior.
After my conversation with the Mgr, I did not hear anything until August 16th. (45 days later from my last contact).My advisor sent me a text and reiterated that I probably need a transmission and recommended that I take the car to CarMax to sell it and get something else. I asked him to price it out and I would let him know what I would do. On Monday the 20th, he told me that a new transmission would be over $11,500. I told him that it was a no and I would pick the car up on Tuesday. The car drove when it was brought in each time and I expected it to drive when I got it back.

In conclusion, I have to say that I am disappointed in BMW of Sterling. I still do not understand how suddenly when all the other repairs have been done, that out of nowhere it is the transmission. Not only the tech not securing the engine cover or filling it when oil when working on the oil or leaving the hood open at night or the other in competencies, it is how it is the transmission that is suddenly bad. I never got any indication or anything in writing stating as such and it was NEVER MENTIONED during this whole time the car has been there. I am currently driving the car and for the most part, it drives fine. Sometimes it sputters while I am still at a light when it is rolling through the engine cycle, which according to past experiences, is the misfiring. But BMW sterling is saying it is the transmission. This does not happen while it is moving, only when stationary and it does not happen all the time. I hope to get it resolved soon.

UPDATE: On August 28th, 2018, the check engine light came back on again. I knew it was only a matter of time. I took it to a Certified BMW Repair Shop and they ran the diagnostics. Not to my surprise, the fault code showed a misfire on Cylinder 6. I knew that was the problem and couldn't understand why it wasn't fixed when it was in there the several other times(even though they said it was). It even states on the repair invoice that it was replaced and swapped out. The technician also confirmed that it was NOT the transmission as was told to my by the BMW repair shop. It is all the misdiagnosis that has me frustrated. I have to set up an appointment to have the repair shop FIX the item that was supposedly already fixed a couple of times.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and let me vent.

Last edited by sandygum; 08-28-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: title should be X3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Mechanics get paid by the hour and not to fix problems. We owners have no protection from damages consequent to work.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0D F25
Did somebody check/renew the battery? There are many issues nobody can explain, if the battery had lost capacity.
Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by 7Schläfer; 08-28-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
You have a lot of patience. Is this the only BMW car shop around 250 miles of where you live? I try not to use dealer service after warranty.
https://www.bimmershops.com/
I happen to have a 2011 X3 126k miles. I had to replace ignition coils twice, spark plugs, and valve cover. So it was the ignition coil then?
Old 08-30-2018, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 35i xDrive MSport
I had a 2011 328ix that had both the VANOS bolt issue and two bad coils.

The bolt issue was from BMW deciding to use aluminum mounting bolts. Aluminum is terrible for bolts that see cyclic loading. They break and then the VANOS flops all over the place. My engine was making such a racket that the tech opted to push it to the garage rather than drive it because he didn't want to start the engine until he knew where the noise was coming from

Nowhere do I see you mention them replacing the spark plugs in all this coil swapping mayhem. If they didn't change the plugs when they changed the coils then just wow. Always put a new plug with a new coil

I feel lucky that the kid who always fixes my vehicles at the local dealer is far more competent than the tech working on yours
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Update

After all of this, I sent a letter to the VP and Operations Manager of that dealership(BMW of STERLING) detailing everything. Surprisingly I got a call from the Service Manager and Advisor. They said to bring the car in and they would look at it again and if it was a misfire, they would fix it. Great question about them with the spark plugs. After having the car for almost a month, they told me that it was a misfire on cylinder 6. I knew that. They confirmed it WASN'T the transmission as it was originally diagnosed. They told me that even after swapping cylinders, it was still misfiring and I needed a new engine. I asked what was causing it, they just said the engine, NO THIS OR THAT. I guess it was the same when they just thought it was the transmission. It is unbelievable, but I keep getting loaner cars while it is in there. When I pick it up, I will try another place, but since I paid a ton of money already, I want them to fix it right.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygum View Post
After all of this, I sent a letter to the VP and Operations Manager of that dealership(BMW of STERLING) detailing everything. Surprisingly I got a call from the Service Manager and Advisor. They said to bring the car in and they would look at it again and if it was a misfire, they would fix it. Great question about them with the spark plugs. After having the car for almost a month, they told me that it was a misfire on cylinder 6. I knew that. They confirmed it WASN'T the transmission as it was originally diagnosed. They told me that even after swapping cylinders, it was still misfiring and I needed a new engine. I asked what was causing it, they just said the engine, NO THIS OR THAT. I guess it was the same when they just thought it was the transmission. It is unbelievable, but I keep getting loaner cars while it is in there. When I pick it up, I will try another place, but since I paid a ton of money already, I want them to fix it right.
Hi , is this technician the only one the dealership has? If not I would demand that a different one be put on your car. Say you have lost all faith in him. Ask for there top person to do the job. Surely this dipstick isn't there top one ? I feel very sorry for you, you have been ultra patient with them, it is now time to put your foot down.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-17-2018, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M Sport, 3 series
'They told me that even after swapping cylinders, it was still misfiring and I needed a new engine'

Maybe you need a new engine because the tech ran your motor without enough oil?
To say you need a new engine, without a valid diagnosis, is bs. Them trying to get you to buy a new transmission is bs.
Find a good independent shop.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
eccentric shaft sensor, misfiring cylinders diagnosis, transmission, vanos, x3 service issues

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search