BlueDriver, or Carly for BMW - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2019, 02:40 AM
David Ortiz David Ortiz is offline
Registered User
Location: SW Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 80
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 28i (AWD)
BlueDriver, or Carly for BMW

Hi everyone.

I currently own BlueDriver and getting ready to send it back. The maintenance schedule is off and Iím told by BlueDriver thatís handled by third party with no estimated time for a fix.

Iíve been looking into Carly, BUT have read horror stories about it frying your ECU and in other cases, corrupting your system. YIKES!!

Before I purchase, anyone have firsthand knowledge about this?

Last edited by David Ortiz; 01-05-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-05-2019, 05:46 AM
themishmosh themishmosh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NEOhio
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: X1 XDrive35i
Have had Carly for a while now after initially having my car remote coded. I think it works great. Very useful for getting codes and for coding. Back in the day, you would buy the app and then purchase in-app upgrades like battery registration but I think now everything is all-in-one in the full version -- that's a good thing. I would definitely buy the Carly adapter. Other generic adapters may work fine but why risk it? Obviously, the Carly people have tested their adapter to work with the app and the firmware has even been updated on it via the app. I have never had any issues with using MyCarly and would recommend it highly.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2019, 06:18 AM
David Ortiz David Ortiz is offline
Registered User
Location: SW Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 80
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 28i (AWD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
Have had Carly for a while now after initially having my car remote coded. I think it works great. Very useful for getting codes and for coding. Back in the day, you would buy the app and then purchase in-app upgrades like battery registration but I think now everything is all-in-one in the full version -- that's a good thing. I would definitely buy the Carly adapter. Other generic adapters may work fine but why risk it? Obviously, the Carly people have tested their adapter to work with the app and the firmware has even been updated on it via the app. I have never had any issues with using MyCarly and would recommend it highly.

Thank you for the detailed response. Iíd like to see if anyone else has something to say. The last thing I need is a repair claim DENIED because I damaged the ECU or the like.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 01-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Chicone Chicone is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2015 X1 35i X Drive
I'm a rookie, I've been considering Protool, but I would have to buy a cheap android tablet because I'm "all in" on the Apple ecosystem.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net

Also working on configuring a spare windows laptop with the BMW toolset on it, but I made a mistake and bought a ENET cable when I believe I need a DCAN cable instead. I'm slowly getting there and have spent a little time on the coding forums. Not sure how scary the laptop software is compared to running something more consumer grade like Carly or Protool, but I know it's more powerful once you know what you are doing.
__________________
Steve

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2019, 04:12 PM
DBU's Avatar
DBU DBU is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,093
Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
Hi everyone.

I currently own BlueDriver and getting ready to send it back. The maintenance schedule is off and Iím told by BlueDriver thatís handled by third party with no estimated time for a fix.

Iíve been looking into Carly, BUT have read horror stories about it frying your ECU and in other cases, corrupting your system. YIKES!!

Before I purchase, anyone have firsthand knowledge about this?
+1 for Carly. It is basically "idiot proof" - very unlikely that you will brick a module, IMHO.
__________________
His: 2017 X4 M40i - Glacier Silver with all the options (except cold weather stuff) - not needed in SoCal
Hers: 2015 X4 28i - Glacier Silver - loaded M-Sport
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-07-2019, 05:41 PM
Chicone Chicone is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2015 X1 35i X Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
+1 for Carly. It is basically "idiot proof" - very unlikely that you will brick a module, IMHO.
True, but I donít like subscription fees, and I work in IT so I like to think Iím not your average idiot.
__________________
Steve

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2019, 10:07 AM
indierocker7 indierocker7 is offline
Registered User
Location: St. Louis
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xdrive35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicone View Post
I'm a rookie, I've been considering Protool, but I would have to buy a cheap android tablet because I'm "all in" on the Apple ecosystem.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net

Thanks for the info! I'm in pretty much the same boat (rookie and Apple device owner) and was looking at Carly but this Protools app seems to do more.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:10 PM
stonex1's Avatar
stonex1 stonex1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,397
Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicone View Post
True, but I donít like subscription fees, and I work in IT so I like to think Iím not your average idiot.
You'll be just fine.
The Windows based tools aren't that bad even if someone is only half tech savvy.

ISTA is good for doing maintenance, checking out info and resetting adaptations and such. (registering battery, resetting transfer case, rain sensor etc, if I recall correctly)
I think you can also use a tool like INPA for similar things.

You can use NCSexpert to code which is fairly straight forward if you take your time and just want to code different options in your car's behavior, (removing the idrive warning, changing hazard blinks, fob key window roll down etc)

What I tend to stay away from is engine tuning. I'm not interested in those features but if I was, I would likely use something from the professionals like the JB4 from Burger.

And since you are techie, yes... you'll need the DCAN cable. E84X1's and later model E9x's have the CIC idrive system and require the DCAN. Only F Series vehicles with NBT idrive systems use the ENET cable if I recall correctly.
Also look at getting a USB to ethernet adapter if you want to update your NAV maps yourself.
__________________
2013 X1
MinGrey,Xenon,HK,PwrSeats,Sirius,XLine,Nav
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Chicone Chicone is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2015 X1 35i X Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
You'll be just fine.
The Windows based tools aren't that bad even if someone is only half tech savvy.

Sweet! Thank you @stonex1 Thatís just the kind of basic info and encouragement I need to get that DCAN cable ordered and laptop fired up again.

Next time youíre in Seattle the drinks on me.
__________________
Steve

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.