Ceratec thoughts? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Ceratec thoughts?

Thinking of trying ceratec additive on the next oil change. Has anyone here used that in their X1s? If so, what were your results?

I've gathered that the timing chain can be the X1s Achilles's heel so I wondered if it would help with that issue too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Additives are usually snake oil - Regular oil changes with the correct weight BMW Spec oil & filter.
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Old 07-25-2019, 08:48 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooferorg View Post
I've gathered that the timing chain can be the X1s Achilles's heel so I wondered if it would help with that issue too.
Yes, the N20 is known to suffer premature failure from a weak timing chain guide that snaps and breaks.

That being said, it's still a pretty rare occurrence. You have to remember, for every 1 thread on a forum you see about the issue, there's 1,000 other owners out there who HAVEN'T had the issue. Those owners just don't post on forums. When's the last time you saw someone post "yeah, just posting because my engine's perfectly fine, nothing else to report" ? Yeah, no one does that. So take what you see reported about the N20 timing chain guide with a grain of salt. It's not THAT common of an issue. It's somewhat similar to the M3 rod bearing problem in the S65 engine.

That being said, there is one thing you can do to help avoid the issue, Change your oil more frequently. While it doesn't guarantee that you won't have the issue, it does seem that people with longer drain intervals seem to be more likely to experience it (this could be complete coincidence though).

Finally, if you are one of the unlucky ones to experience timing chain guide failure, reach out to your dealer and BMW NA. It's a known issue which you can easily document and prove. I've heard of BMW NA helping owners out by sharing costs of new engines. Of course, don't be rude or anything, as being friendly and easy going always makes people want to help you more so than if you're a jerk

To answer your question though, no, don't use additives. There is no scientific evidence that additives reduce wear or do anything positive for your engine. At best, they are completely benign and don't do anything. At worst, they are actually detrimental to your engine.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?

Last edited by Yukoner; 07-25-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Wise words. Very appreciated. I know it's easy for me to get fretting about it all. It's a good point to just step back and think through the chances and also the possibilities of what to do to prevent problems. Even if there are problems it is good to think it through pragmatically.

I was asking garages about it and a couple of them gave the same advice of good frequent oil changes. One other one quoted a replacement cost for the timing chain of $3500 which seems nuts.. Not even a dealer but a local garage.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search