Do.Not.Keep.Fob.In.Tight.Pants.Pocket - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:49 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Do.Not.Keep.Fob.In.Tight.Pants.Pocket

Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 07:54 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
That wasn't a fob foible, that was an absentminded driver who forgot to close the roof. Comfort Opening lowers the windows before the sunroof starts to move.

I hope they had a Shop-Vac handy.

BMW CCA
Old 08-24-2019, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
It'll thaw out before long ;-/
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 08:42 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
That wasn't a fob foible, that was an absentminded driver who forgot to close the roof. Comfort Opening lowers the windows before the sunroof starts to move.:
Nope. Inadvertently opened all windows AND sunroof in a thunderstorm from fifty feet away. First road trip lesson learned. Not again.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX M Sport
The Windows don't look down.
Was that actually you Doug?
Old 08-25-2019, 07:46 AM

Talking Snowy day pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
The Windows don't look down.
Was that actually you Doug?
Can't be - I didn't see a hat under the drift

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Old 08-27-2019, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
on my vert, your unable to activate the CA unless within a foot either top or windows,
you CAN unlock/lock the door from 40ft away

I think this is a safety feature, in not trapping someones hands or fingers, if you can't see the car.

and usually the lock button only, needs to be pressed for about 4 or 5 sec's
and for unlock the unlock button only
not sure it would work on both lock/unlock button at the same time
it would be difficult to have that much pressure on one specific button
whilst in a trousers pocket,

I call BS,
nice pic though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Nope. Inadvertently opened all windows AND sunroof in a thunderstorm from fifty feet away. First road trip lesson learned. Not again.

Last edited by jaye944; 08-27-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
That wasn't a fob foible, that was an absentminded driver who forgot to close the roof. Comfort Opening lowers the windows before the sunroof starts to move.

I hope they had a Shop-Vac handy.

^^^ yeah dat

which makes sense, same thing for my vert,
roof closes then windows
Old 08-29-2019, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Exclamation

I had a similar sort of thing happen with my X5 35d due to the FOB in tight pants pocket. It was not absentmindedness. It was a FOB foible. It happened in cold and heavy pouring rain during a visit to my sister in law's place. I had to come out to the car in the heavy rain and found the moonroof wide open and all windows down. I must have been leaning on the unlock button on the FOB and close enough to be within range. My wife and I did the 167 mile ride home on the highway with the HVAC temperature and fan cranked to help dry things out. The windows were kept down slightly to keep us comfortable and kept most of the rain out. When we got home, I left the car idling with the HVAC system cranked and put 3 high velocity fans in the car to blow air on the carpet areas. The windows were kept cracked open slightly, just enough for the car to breathe but keep the rain out. AC power for the fans was fed in through one window cracked just enough for the power cord to get through. The car did several periods of extended idling over a total of 3 days to keep things warm and fully dry everything out. The total idle time was 30 hours over those 3 days. The fans ran continuously during those 3 days. The fuel gauge hardly budged at all given that diesels consume an incredibly small amount of fuel at idle. When I took the car out for a drive on the highway, I had visible oil smoke from the exhaust for several seconds while accelerating onto the highway and then it cleared. I know it's not good to leave a modern turbodiesel idling for extended periods but this was the only way to keep the car warm enough in the cold and wet weather to dry it out quickly. I had to keep it warm and keep the air moving. I don't have a garage to keep the car in and we had cold and wet weather over those 3 days. Fortunately I got it dried out quickly enough so there was no mildew or any other issues.

The car then got the Convenience Open feature coded out at my BMW dealer so the FOB cannot open the moonroof or windows. I then preemptively had the Convenience Open feature coded out of my 535dx so it won't happen to that car.

I recommend BMW owners get the Convenience Open feature coded out so that the moonroof and windows can't be opened if you happen to lean on the remote.

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; 08-29-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:11 PM

Exclamation FOB COVERS Prevent unintended openings

As I posted in these forums the FIRST & LAST time it happened to me was more than a decade ago ... just a few days after buying my '06 530xi with CA. The "naked" FOB was in my jeans pocket as I sat at a friend's house working on a grant application for a Non-Profit ... Their teen-aged son said my car alarm was going off. Dashed outside - it was raining - to find my moon-roof and windows open :-( The rain must have caused the alarm to trigger. I closed it up and relocked the car. Fortunately it only took some toweling to dry up the seats and console - I WAS LUCKY that I was alerted to the situation.

Only took a few hours of GOOGLING to discover that the FOBs' buttons (esp for Comfort Access BMWs) can be accidentally pressed in a person's pants pocket ... if Held down for a few seconds (as when sitting) the roof & windows can be lowered -- AS IF BY MAGIC!!

The NEXT day I drove to my BMW Dealer and bought FOB Covers! They are my FIRST accessory "acquisition" ... immediately when buying my BMWs (4 more have crossed the driveway since that '06!) I say "acquisition" since my Dealership GM "KNOWS" - When Luigi buys a BMW he gets 2 FOB Covers!! I don't leave for home without them!

Guess what !! NO MORE UNINTENDED OPENINGS :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW key fob in case.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	862831   Click image for larger version

Name:	G30 Key Fob.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	862833  

Last edited by luigi524td; 08-29-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:42 AM

maybe the vert is different from the other BM's
Old 08-30-2019, 06:27 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
I had a similar sort of thing happen with my X5 35d due to the FOB in tight pants pocket. It was not absentmindedness. It was a FOB foible.
No one said this never happens. In fact it's been quite the opposite over the years: We've had to convince more than a few posters that this feature was at fault when their "possessed" or "faulty" BMW opened all its windows "on its own."

The specific case in the photo in the OP, however, was not a fob accident. The roof is open but the door windows are closed and covered with snow. Holding the unlock button opens the windows first, then the roof. Ergo, the driver left the roof open.

On a semi-unrelated note, I see it's time to mention this fob fact again.

BMW CCA
Old 08-30-2019, 10:29 AM

Thumbs up fob FOB

Quote:
On a semi-unrelated note, I see it's time to mention this fob fact again.
HaHaHaHaHA

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search