CCV Replacement on an M54 (E39) - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 03-16-2015, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
hey guys I've been having an issue with my car for a few months now. I've got the somewhat loud whistling noise from the engine bay, I've been adding a quart of oil (when my oil light comes on) about every 600-800miles. my car is a 525i with 119.5k on it. i believe I'm on the original ccv. I've noticed a slight lose of power and not great mpg, avg about 23mpg doing 80/20 freeway/city. i live in the bay area, california. i haven't noticed any smoke on start up, i usually let my car warm up for a few minutes in the morning then do my 30mile trip to work. i do occasionally do a 1/2 mile trip a few times a week without warming up my car. I'm just curous if this sounds like the ccv is going bad? i just don't want to pull the trigger and do the diy and have the issue not fixed. either id like to see if anyone is located in the bay area who i could meet up with or just give me some advice on here. thanks for your time guys

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530I Blown/ X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlapan925 View Post
hey guys I've been having an issue with my car for a few months now. I've got the somewhat loud whistling noise from the engine bay, I've been adding a quart of oil (when my oil light comes on) about every 600-800miles. my car is a 525i with 119.5k on it. i believe I'm on the original ccv. I've noticed a slight lose of power and not great mpg, avg about 23mpg doing 80/20 freeway/city. i live in the bay area, california. i haven't noticed any smoke on start up, i usually let my car warm up for a few minutes in the morning then do my 30mile trip to work. i do occasionally do a 1/2 mile trip a few times a week without warming up my car. I'm just curous if this sounds like the ccv is going bad? i just don't want to pull the trigger and do the diy and have the issue not fixed. either id like to see if anyone is located in the bay area who i could meet up with or just give me some advice on here. thanks for your time guys

mike
Check your lower air intake boot, this boot is connected to the throttle body a the ICV, the elbow that connects to the ICV is known for crack at the stretch point.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, this was posted today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > CCV Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSCLEBOY View Post
it was a -25 degree day....all day and my 2000 BMW 528I was parked outside in the elements. After 9 hrs of work i went to start up the car. It started right up. I let it run for about 3 minutes thinking man its cold....let this baby warm up. Then i engaged drive and right off the bat...the gas or movement of the vehicule was sluggish. It hesitated.....so i figured it was the cold and it would clear up. After 4 miles or about 4 minutes of driving of which seemed normal...i came to a red light on a 45 m/hr road...noticing all this white smoke coming out of the tail pipe....man this suck.....ss.s...this is embarassing man. Worse yet,,,,,,the weather was not improving. It was snowing heavy and still -25.....i hate Cleveland and cant wait to get the heck out of this town....but for now im stuck here....back to this scene man.

so the light turns green and i continue to drive...im thinking man i don't know maybe that white smoke is just condensation since it is so cold....you know how tail pipes create that billowing white smoke when its cold...right.....so im on the higway and driving and i notice all that damn smoke behind me is not going away....and im thinking man for the first time i have no one tailgating me....lol. The cars behind me were actually dropping way back or exiting the left speed lane i was in....i was traveling at 60 mi/hr being careful do to weather being bad.

As im driving i realize i still had 30 miles before i got home, im on a damn highway with many cars and the weather is now a white out....and -25....man this sucks. I look at my instrument cluster and do not see any issues...this is with 10 miles of driving and 30 to go.......another 5 miles goes by for a total of 15 that expired and i notice on my instrument cluster a yellow oil lantern light lit up....oh shi ....t. What the fu>k. Now add this to the white out, icy, sub artic (-25F) and traffic around me conditions....ohhhummm.

So i said okay man....i need a johnny walker bad....but i'll settle for a Walmart stop up ahead and get a quart of oil......maybe i need some.......I get to walkmart....exiting with all that embarassing white smoke....and finally park the car, open the hood and check the dipstick to find i had just a bit of oil in the lower section of the dipstick marked. Oka...i add oil ...one quart....and go home ....smoke and all. I finally get home.....and during those final 25 miles...i noticed the white smoke came and left.....and it was not so heavy by the time i got home. I parked the car in the garage and after one hour opened the hood to find the oil on the dipstic was non existant while there was oil all over the left side of the engine, below the valve cover and the silver like tabs that jut out down there....all over the front of the engine below the Vanos and just dripped all over man....man that sucks..

Well...the car has been in the garage for 5 weeks now maybe six.....and i keep praying my wife don't mess up my Cadillac which is normally stored over the winter, but we had to bring it out. She is driving it since her daily commute is 10miles while mine is 80miles and i don't want to put all those miles on it.....but the risk is there that she will run the rims into the curb, get door scratches or dings, hit something.....man.....what can is say...every car she drives has mysterious sh_t happen to it....now shes driving my other baby.....so.

After reading all the forums....i have already, rebuilt the Vanos with new Seals, O-rings and gaskets, rebuilt the Valve Cover gaskets, installed new spark plugs (there was about 1/16" of oil surrounding the sparkplugs in 1,2,4,5 and 6) after cleaning out the wells, and even replaced the lower radiatorhose after the indy mechanic ripped me off replacing the upper radiator hose for $250....i guess that is how i found Bimmerfest and became an avid dIYer.

so now i have left to do a radiator/engine flush before i put the new coolant in (im reviewing other Bimmerfest DIY on this topic) and now this CCV.

THere seems to be no conclusive DIY on how to do a CCV replacement. After watching a few Utube vids on the subject along with reading up on some comments here are the boards, i willnote that i did find the mayannaise paste inside the connector to the Valve cover and under the oil cap and on the underside of the valve cover over the Vanos section. After reading some comments i am now afraid that if i start my engine without doing anything about the CCV i may find oil and pressure sucked into my valve cover and create more issues with the new spark plugs possibly getting oil in them again and the new and fresh valve cover gasket having problems or the valve cover itself or what ever man....

Can someone out there offer me some advice? I came this far man. All these fixes and now i don't know .......i watched a vid last night on removing all this sh t from the right side of the engine to replace all the hoses and the lines, returns and valve for the CCV unit.....no problem...i will gladly tackle it......so guys/gals....what do you think man?

Oh....i just put fresh oil (5 quarts) into the booger last night along with a new oil filter and o-ring. Will i need to drain this now if i am to do this CCV replacement? I can use the oil again right if i drain it...it is brand new just put in....i can't afford to keep dumping $27 in oil for stupidity on my part......

Oh man...what a delema. Asking for all the experts to help. Bluebee thanks ahead for any links or help.

Val.
See also:
- How to test the crankcase ventilation (aka CCV, CVV, PCV, CPV, & OSV) pressure regulating valve system (1) & the canonical bimmerfest Fudman M54 CCV replacement DIY (1) & the bimmerforums Jason5Driver M54 CCV DIY (1) & the BavAuto M54 CCV DIY (1) & sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1) & how to do a CCV delete (1) & how to test, clean, & redesign the original BMW dipstick guide tube to prevent CCV vent clogs (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 03-27-2015 at 05:09 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY
Today's Posts Search