How Important is it to get RFT tires? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-12-2012, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi
How Important is it to get RFT tires?

Im in need of 4 new tires.....How necessary is it for me to get RUN FLAT TIRES? they cost an arm and a leg....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
There are many threads on RFT's

Next time I get tires it will be Continental DWS a set is about 600 installed most places.
They will last longer and have a better ride . If they go flat I have a cell phone and a towing service. I can get the non RFT's repaired anywhere and I have had only one flat in the last 20 years. How many cars do you see on the side of the rode with flats these days.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-12-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Oh no. Not again.

There are probably thousands of posts on the subject just at this forum alone.

The subjective answer to your question will obviously depend on who answers it. There are people whose opinions I respect that go both ways on this one. They are safer than go flats.

"How necessary", like on a scale from 1 to 10? I give them a 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Very important, you don't have a spare. Unless you're willing to give up your entire trunk space for a spare, then go with run flats.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:29 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalmac1014 View Post
How necessary is it for me to get RUN FLAT TIRES?
What ctuna said, and I would add you should have a good towing service such as AAA premier or plus.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
California Über Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
There are people whose opinions I respect that go both ways on this one. They are safer than go flats.
Whether you respect my opinions or not, they actually do happen to go both ways on this subject. On the one hand it sounds good in concept, but not optimum in execution, e.g., more expensive, potentially more inconvenient if sidewall damage no replacement readily available, stiffer ride, etc. The determining factor for me is BMW deciding for me what is best for me, without giving me the option and making disagreement with their decision unnecessarily difficult. I mean how much would it hurt their profit (or prestige or design objectives or whatever motivates them) to include a wheel well somewhere for a spare if that's what some people want? Charge extra for it if necessary. Put a sticker on it:

Quote:
WARNING: this vehicle does not have maximum interior space possible or it gets .5 mpg less than the max possible because the owner chose to have a spare tire.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
What nobody ever seems to bring up in these threads is that the M3, the Holy Grail of BMW 3 Series ownership and the car that from what I read here all 328 and 335 drivers aspire to and would be driving if they could afford it to, does not come with RFTs or a spare.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-12-2012, 04:10 PM
California Über Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
What nobody ever seems to bring up in these threads is that the M3, the Holy Grail of BMW 3 Series ownership and the car that from what I read here all 328 and 335 drivers aspire to and would be driving if they could afford it to, does not come with RFTs or a spare.

CA
If you can afford an M3, you can afford to take a cab home. Fix yourself a drink, put on the news and then text the location of your M3 to your Service with a reminder to have it detailed after they take care of the flat tire.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 PM

I appreciate all your replies....I asked only cuz I seen sooo many mixed opinions. But for the most part a lot of people who HAD RFTS switched to NON RFTS are more happier with how smooth their ride is with NON RFTs....I do have AAA plus....all the threads mention how happy they are in switching to NON RFTS...just thought i could get a more clear idea....
Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihelm G View Post
If you can afford an M3, you can afford to take a cab home. Fix yourself a drink, put on the news and then text the location of your M3 to your Service with a reminder to have it detailed after they take care of the flat tire.
I suppose it is a matter of perspective. According to some people the only reason to buy an M3 is because you can't afford a 911, or a Ferrari.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-12-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM

After reading some threads im thinking of getting NON RFTs....I work at an auto auction and from what they tell me Michellin is the best brand of tires....i went to TIRERACK.com and it seems like they have a good price on them....
Old 01-12-2012, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
When I bought my car I really debated whether to get the tire insurance but I said no because I could not remember the last time I got a flat. Granted the road in So FL are pretty good and I've been happy with my Potenza run flats....but if I had the option at delivery to pay for a spare and get non runflats I would have but BMW didn't give me that option.

If I decide to ever ditch the runflats and get non runflats, I either have to lose valuable trunk space with a full size spare or get a mobility kit and hope the kit actually works if I ever need it. Both options are not very ideal, so BMW wins in the long run by price gouging the consumer with the price of replacing runflats.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rgr887
Mein Auto: '12 528XI
Continential DWS are a very good upgrade. Run-flats are ...imho a joke! Sorta like corn based ethanol gas...expensive as hell to produce and little, if any value, to the environment overall.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:20 PM

Run flats are are good idea but in their present state are poorly executed.

It has been tried before.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-12-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
I really like the Kuhmo RFTs on my car, and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. In terms of handling, ride, braking, they are quite superior to the GFTs that were standard on my last car (Acura TSX with Michellin all-seasons), although I know that is apples and oranges.

The Kuhmos were not expensive at all, about $145 from Tire race - that is for 225/45 17".

I don't think RFTs are necessarily expensive or unpleasant to own, and I'm sticking with them.

YMMV......
Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: none
Go non-run flats, and put a donut in the trunk instead of a full size spare.. Just my opinion
Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4life View Post
When I bought my car I really debated whether to get the tire insurance but I said no because I could not remember the last time I got a flat. Granted the road in So FL are pretty good and I've been happy with my Potenza run flats....but if I had the option at delivery to pay for a spare and get non runflats I would have but BMW didn't give me that option.

If I decide to ever ditch the runflats and get non runflats, I either have to lose valuable trunk space with a full size spare or get a mobility kit and hope the kit actually works if I ever need it. Both options are not very ideal, so BMW wins in the long run by price gouging the consumer with the price of replacing runflats.
BMW makes not profit from the pricing of RFTs at your local BMW dealer. And, if you don't like the dealer prices, TireRack or Costco are fine.

As far as repairs are concerned, your local tire shop will do fine. For whatever the reason, I get about one flat every two years, and have had no problem getting RFTs patched quickly.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: '14 435 xDrive Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultr View Post
Very important, you don't have a spare. Unless you're willing to give up your entire trunk space for a spare, then go with run flats.
Roadside assistance, or a mobility kit fixes this. I have made it 45k miles without run flats.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycar View Post
oh no. Not again.

There are probably thousands of posts on the subject just at this forum alone.

The subjective answer to your question will obviously depend on who answers it. There are people whose opinions i respect that go both ways on this one. They are safer than go flats.

"how necessary", like on a scale from 1 to 10? I give them a 5. :d
NOT SO!

They are beyond doubt only a 4.8

I have years of experience with my 3, and speak definitively. 4.8, and no more.

Claims otherwise are likely Audi shills, determined to decrease BMW sales at any cost. Shame! Foo! We know you, ilovemycar!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 01-12-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
BMW makes not profit from the pricing of RFTs at your local BMW dealer. And, if you don't like the dealer prices, TireRack or Costco are fine.
True, K.T.

BMW often forgoes crass, cynical profiteering for the good of mankind. It's only money. If you believe their price to be high, be it known that BMW is a victim of price gouging, fast talking salesmen, nothing more.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
If they don't make a profit how come they charge more

Are they giving the difference to good causes.
I know it costs a lot for those spiffy showrooms with all there perks.
Or was that a joke I didn't get. sarcasm?

Last edited by ctuna; 01-12-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
True, K.T.

BMW often forgoes crass, cynical profiteering for the good of mankind. It's only money. If you believe their price to be high, be it known that BMW is a victim of price gouging, fast talking salesmen, nothing more.

Don't confuse dealer profiteering (as in the ridiculous prices for tires, parts, and service) with BMW profiteering (as in the 328i being priced thousands more than comparable products form Infiniti and Acura, and BMW eeking out nickle and dime for every little feature).
Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Don't confuse dealer profiteering (as in the ridiculous prices for tires, parts, and service) with BMW profiteering (as in the 328i being priced thousands more than comparable products form Infiniti and Acura, and BMW eeking out nickle and dime for every little feature).
A cultural thing, Europe.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Bimmer Azzuro

Mein Auto: 335 cv
Picture yourself doing 70 MPH and getting a blowout, in the rain, on a dark highway. ....I'll take the runflats any day.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 AM
///Multiple

Mein Auto: '16 M4, '06 Z4MR, '18 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinBimmer View Post
Picture yourself doing 70 MPH and getting a blowout, in the rain, on a dark highway. ....I'll take the runflats any day.
I tried to picture this but in the 46 years that I've been driving on regular tires this has never happened to me so I have absolutely no reference for this. In the last 12 years of owning my S2000 (low profile, ultra high performance summer tires with a donut spare) I've had two flat tires from road hazards (nail/screw in the tire)and the tire was flat when I returned to the car in a parking lot. I can't remember when I last had a flat tire in any car before these two occurrences, but I have no doubt that it probably happened.

On the other hand, on our ED in our BMW with RFTs, we pulled into Trier after doing 145 MPH on the Autobahn and got the low tire pressure warning. We pulled over and the right rear tire was flat and was later determined to have a screw in the tread. How long was the screw in the tire? Who knows, and we had already driven over 1,000 miles since delivery. Was it in the tire while we were driving 145 MPH on the Autobahn? Who knows, but we didn't get the warning until we pulled off the Autobahn and had driven a couple of kilometers, although the head of the screw had been ground completely flat. Did RFTs "save us"? No way to tell.

I don't know what can be surmised from the two disparate experiences only that one person's experience is just that, their experience. You can't necessarily determine what is best for you from other people's experiences or their speculation. You have to make the decision based on your own comfort level with all possibilities.
Hers: 2018 M3 Sedan | San Marino Blue Metallic | Black Full Merino Leather | CF Trim | M DCT | ZCP | ZEC | ZDA | 5AG | ED 7/18/18
Ours: 2006 Z4 M Roadster | Interlagos Blue Metallic | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Purchased 7/19/12

Last edited by SD ///M4; 01-13-2012 at 08:58 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search