What is ZHP? ZPP? ZSP? ZCW? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN2DRIV
I have been looking all over the place to find some engine mods for my 330i ZHP. I have checked aatuning, Dinan, and AC... But have come up with nothing for my 04. Dose anyone have any suggestions on engine mods... I want to turn this thing into a 4 door M.
I noticed you've asked this question a few times. This should help.......99.99% of all parts that fit a MY '01-'04 330 will work on your car. A search on this board and the E46 Fannatics board should give you more than enough items to burn your money on. However, an 8k blower and 3k suspension still won't make it an "M."
2006 997 Carrera S Cab. 6MT Sport Chrono Artic Silver / Black (Sold)
2001 LX470 (Lexus) Mystic Sea Opalescent / Grey (Sold)
2004 330i 6MT ZHP Silver Grey / Natural Brown (Sold)
2001 330i 5MT SP Titanium / Tanin (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2004, 07:28 AM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 2016 M3
Another update to the ZHP

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80328

Old 12-23-2004, 08:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Robbyrh10
Mein Auto: 330ci ZHP
Great, my car just came in and im supposed to pick it up tomorw. I was told it was a 330ci ZHP 6sp. I just found out it is an AUTOMATIC! There arent any 6sp available in the coupe till late January. Is the performace really that much of a difference from auto to stick?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyrh10
Great, my car just came in and im supposed to pick it up tomorw. I was told it was a 330ci ZHP 6sp. I just found out it is an AUTOMATIC! There arent any 6sp available in the coupe till late January. Is the performace really that much of a difference from auto to stick?? Thanks
What do you mean you 'just found out' ?

You ordered a manual and they are giving you an automatic because it's not available until January ? And they didn't inform you in advance ?
Old 12-23-2004, 10:16 AM
In my own cars again

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Wow, great customer service. I would get your deposit back, and go somewhere else. They don't deserve your business.
Got that right - I hope the deposit was on a credit card -

Walk away, fast.

--Micah O'C
CCA 193374
'88 M5, Bilstein Sports/ST Springs, staggered BBS RS, Euro conversion
'92 M5 Touring - BL01001 - first M5 Touring ever built
2017 M2 V887285 - Mineral Grey, 6MT
'04 330i ZHP, Jet Black 6spd, hot seats, LightWerkz TFX-Xenon, Bilstein PSS10
UUC Strut/SwayBarbarians, PowerFlex CAB/TAB, Performance Gearing 3.38 LSD

Old 12-23-2004, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
If you ordered your car you should have signed a purchase order listing all the options and selections you made. So that would make very questionable why your are not getting the car you ordered. If you bought something the dealer had already pre-order that obviously were misled and need to take your business somewhere else.

The is absolutely not reason why should take an automatic in lieu of a stick if that is what you want. You will live to regret that decision as long as you own the car.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Robbyrh10
Mein Auto: 330ci ZHP
Thanks for all the replies fellas. Ya, i did not order the car, but i was told it was a 6sp. It was going to another dealer, but they told me that they could have it delievered to me and it was a 6sp. So i didnt order it, just mislead. The thing is, auto would be more practical but i dont want the car to be slow. I just got done with my Lexus IS300 and it was ok, so im hoping the 330ci will be much quicker. Someone must have an auto in these things. I mean, the dealership told me that all the 6sp 330ci ZHP were basically unavailable right now.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies fellas. Ya, i did not order the car, but i was told it was a 6sp. It was going to another dealer, but they told me that they could have it delievered to me and it was a 6sp. So i didnt order it, just mislead. The thing is, auto would be more practical but i dont want the car to be slow. I just got done with my Lexus IS300 and it was ok, so im hoping the 330ci will be much quicker. Someone must have an auto in these things. I mean, the dealership told me that all the 6sp 330ci ZHP were basically unavailable right now.
You will lose between 0.5 to 1 sec going from 0-60 with an automatic.

The dealer makes it sound like the factory does not make enough manual transmissions. The real issue is that the majority of dealers refuse to order mechanical transmissions unless it is pre-sold car. If you place you order now you could have the car equipped exactly to your requirements by the end of March.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
The thing is, auto would be more practical but i dont want the car to be slow. I just got done with my Lexus IS300 and it was ok, so im hoping the 330ci will be much quicker.
The difference between a manual and automatic on paper is 0.5 seconds for 0-60. The difference in terms of engagement and fun is huge. Forget fast or slow; if you already know how to drive a manual and had the smallest amount of desire to get a manual in the first place, don't back down.

According to C&D, the IS300 runs 0-60 in the neighborhood of 7.3 to 7.4 seconds. BMW says the ZHP does 0-60 in 5.9, and C&D tested 5.6 seconds. Tack on a half second for the auto.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:33 AM

Mein Auto:
Question

sorry for my ignorance... but what is DHP?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: E60
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46zhp
sorry for my ignorance... but what is DHP?

Your not ignorant......just non-delusional like "Doeboy"

A quick search on this board will explain.
2006 997 Carrera S Cab. 6MT Sport Chrono Artic Silver / Black (Sold)
2001 LX470 (Lexus) Mystic Sea Opalescent / Grey (Sold)
2004 330i 6MT ZHP Silver Grey / Natural Brown (Sold)
2001 330i 5MT SP Titanium / Tanin (Sold)
Old 03-24-2005, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I have been looking all over the place to find some engine mods for my 330i ZHP. I have checked aatuning, Dinan, and AC... But have come up with nothing for my 04. Dose anyone have any suggestions on engine mods... I want to turn this thing into a 4 door M.
hey im not sure if this is wat ur lookin for but i know carbonio makes a cold air intake system and the dinan chips and other mods from the due goods for ur car but after that **** starts getin expensive there are headers and exhaust fro around a grand for each the headers i was lookin at was like 1200 bux so im not sure if that wat u were lookin at but thats wat im sayin
Old 06-05-2005, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenPhen
Quote:
The thing is, auto would be more practical but i dont want the car to be slow. I just got done with my Lexus IS300 and it was ok, so im hoping the 330ci will be much quicker.
The difference between a manual and automatic on paper is 0.5 seconds for 0-60. The difference in terms of engagement and fun is huge. Forget fast or slow; if you already know how to drive a manual and had the smallest amount of desire to get a manual in the first place, don't back down.

According to C&D, the IS300 runs 0-60 in the neighborhood of 7.3 to 7.4 seconds. BMW says the ZHP does 0-60 in 5.9, and C&D tested 5.6 seconds. Tack on a half second for the auto.
BMW does not list different 0-60 times for the ZHP manual and ZHP automatic like they do with the non-ZHP 330's.

I think that has to do with the different final drive ratio on the ZHP automatic.

If you look at the non-ZHP 330's final drive ratios:
manual: 2.93
auto: 3.38

and the ZHP's final drive ratios:
manual/SNG: 3.07
auto: 3.64

While I was at a BMW dealership a few weeks ago, I asked the guy at the parts counter if he could look up the gears on a 2005 330Ci w/ ZHP and tell me if they are in fact 3.07 or the same as the non-ZHPs 2.93s. (The 2005 330's w/ZHP and with manual or SMG tranny do have the 3.07 gears)

The parts guy let me look at the computer screen when he had it up there. I could plainly see that the final drive ratio was 3.6something for the ZHP option with the automatic transmission. (I can't remember the last digit, but Iím pretty sure it was 4).

I have not seen anything in BMW's marketing material stating that the final drive ratio for the ZHP's w/auto is 3.64, but the part is listed as that ratio in BMW's parts system.

The final drive ratio is a bigger change from the non-ZHP automatic to the ZHP automatic than it is on the non-ZHP manual to the ZHP manual.

I believe that the final drive ratio difference is a big enough change in the automatic's to give the ZHP automatic the same 0-60 times as the ZHP manual.

Now, if you swap out those lame 3.07s that come with the ZHP manual for the 3.46's that BMW should have put in the ZHP option with the manual transmissions, then there would be no comparison!
Old 06-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Mein Auto: Project Code Name: P5R
Quote:
Originally Posted by weave
BMW does not list different 0-60 times for the ZHP manual and ZHP automatic like they do with the non-ZHP 330's.

I think that has to do with the different final drive ratio on the ZHP automatic.

If you look at the non-ZHP 330's final drive ratios:
manual: 2.93
auto: 3.38

and the ZHP's final drive ratios:
manual/SNG: 3.07
auto: 3.64

While I was at a BMW dealership a few weeks ago, I asked the guy at the parts counter if he could look up the gears on a 2005 330Ci w/ ZHP and tell me if they are in fact 3.07 or the same as the non-ZHPs 2.93s. (The 2005 330's w/ZHP and with manual or SMG tranny do have the 3.07 gears)

The parts guy let me look at the computer screen when he had it up there. I could plainly see that the final drive ratio was 3.6something for the ZHP option with the automatic transmission. (I can't remember the last digit, but Iím pretty sure it was 4).

I have not seen anything in BMW's marketing material stating that the final drive ratio for the ZHP's w/auto is 3.64, but the part is listed as that ratio in BMW's parts system.

The final drive ratio is a bigger change from the non-ZHP automatic to the ZHP automatic than it is on the non-ZHP manual to the ZHP manual.

I believe that the final drive ratio difference is a big enough change in the automatic's to give the ZHP automatic the same 0-60 times as the ZHP manual.

Now, if you swap out those lame 3.07s that come with the ZHP manual for the 3.46's that BMW should have put in the ZHP option with the manual transmissions, then there would be no comparison!
When I'm talking to customers about the difference in performance... I always tell them its about .5 seconds... but in reality... it's not. In fact, I would say its about .1-.2 seconds... if anything at all. I would love to see a test on this. We should take two bone stock ZHPs... one manual and one with auto... and do it ourselves. Surely we could get a couple of guys here to do it.

Yeah... so I'm a SPEED junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:59 PM
bmw330pp

Mein Auto: '14 535i, '04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
When I'm talking to customers about the difference in performance... I always tell them its about .5 seconds... but in reality... it's not. In fact, I would say its about .1-.2 seconds... if anything at all. I would love to see a test on this. We should take two bone stock ZHPs... one manual and one with auto... and do it ourselves. Surely we could get a couple of guys here to do it.
I've got the manual ZHP coupe ready and willing
Old 06-07-2005, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I would start with Dinan tuning products. Strating with the free flow exhuast system , throttle body. Once you have spent a few months breaking in ur engine wiith these mods i would do Dinan Stage "engine tuning", which is their software chip systems that adds horsepower and torque. For the last two mods i would put a cold air intake in, followed by the Dinan Supercharger system. At the end you should be making close to 390 - 405 BHP if not more.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Ich bin ein Bimmerer

Mein Auto: 04 ZHP/4
I dunno, bbelt, that sounds a bit optomistic. Not saying it's impossible, but you gotta consider the engine is at a relatively high compression ratio already. There are a couple of guys on here with FI ZHPs already, and I don't think they are over about 345-360 BHP. Serious FI tuning will likely require lowering the compression ratio and messing with some engine internals. And, FWIW, Dinan isn't the be-all end-all of performance mods. In fact, the lunatic modders seem to steer clear of them completely for the most part. They seem to be fine street tune upgrades, but race tune is often sourced from other aftermarket vendors.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbelt88
I would start with Dinan tuning products. Strating with the free flow exhuast system , throttle body. Once you have spent a few months breaking in ur engine wiith these mods i would do Dinan Stage "engine tuning", which is their software chip systems that adds horsepower and torque. For the last two mods i would put a cold air intake in, followed by the Dinan Supercharger system. At the end you should be making close to 390 - 405 BHP if not more.
numbers are a bit high there dude, more like 360 whp with proper tuning on the SC, but deffinetly enough torque to embarass an m3 in a straight line

btw Dinan does not make a supercharge (that i know of) for any of the 3 series, you have to void you warranty if you want the power. you have to go with ESS tuning, Active Autowerke tuning, Technik Engineering. none of the kits talk about making more than 365, and that number is bhp not whp. there is also a turbo made by ATP, haven't heard much about it though. ATP is a pretty good company.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Mein Auto: Project Code Name: P5R
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330pp
I've got the manual ZHP coupe ready and willing
I've got the auto (long story)... and am always ready... for a race!
We need someone that would be able to acurately time us with a proper stop watch...
Sounds like a meet in Sorento Valley is in order...

Yeah... so I'm a SPEED junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 08-05-2005, 03:55 AM

Mein Auto: 318i '05 Sportspack
What Package does this car have?

Old 08-05-2005, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05'BMWSA
The packages being describe in this thread only apply to the BMW North America distributor's market. The 318i is not available in the North American (US/Canada). Your car was actually available in Mexico and marketed there as the Formula 1 package, though IIRC in other markets is was called the M Sport package. See snapshot of the BMW Mexico website with a 320i Formula 1 car.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330ci ZHP & '87 RX-7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05'BMWSA

A package that's unfortuantely unavailable in the ol' U S of A.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:59 PM
bmw330pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASenna
A package that's unfortuantely unavailable in the ol' U S of A.
Yes it is. It's know as the Performance Package or ZHP.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330pp
Yes it is. It's know as the Performance Package or ZHP.
My eyes must be deceiving me....those wheels don`t look like 18-inch 135s....

Regards,
Bob
Old 09-13-2005, 04:14 PM
bmw330pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob
My eyes must be deceiving me....those wheels don`t look like 18-inch 135s....

Regards,
Bob
Yes, have them checked please! J/K
I was refering to the body kit, although I know the Performance Package comes with more than just a body kit.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search