Oil cooler leaking? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Oil cooler leaking?

I have, 2012 35d 160,000kms or 100,000 miles, I asked indy mechanic to replace thermostat as I have been monitoring temp and I am running in high 70's (77-79C). He was going to change it but postponed because I have an oil leak on the passenger side in the upper/middle front of motor, he indicated oil cooler. I can confirm that part of engine looks to have a leak, it does not appear to be coming from valve cover. He said he needs a special tool to remove some parts to get to oil cooler/thermostat (that he does not have) to fix it. Since we only communicate via text he did not give me a lot of additional information, other then cost of labour would be about $1000 (CDN $) to do thermostat and fix oil leak. Does that sound right? Anyone else have a similar experience? I can say when my engine temperature reaches about 85C I seem to smell oil burning. Is it reasonable to assume when oil gets too hight and oil cooler kicks in it starts to leak. Should I replace oil cooler or just reseal, is this a part that I should expect to fail soon?

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 12:37 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Passenger side in the upper/middle front of motor is also where the oil lines and oil drain lines for the turbos are. Along with the PCV valve CCV hose which breaks all the time and the O ring that connects the air pipe to the turbo. The latter two caused leaks on my X5d.
I've never heard of the oil cooler leaking on a m57? tell your indy to send you pics

2012 X5d | Deleted & BRR Tuned | DWR TCU Tune | 10.25" Android 8.1 Screen

Build Log
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1290337
Old 02-28-2019, 10:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 M3. E46 325i, E70 35d
I'd find a new mechanic if he thinks it's the engine oil heat exchanger that is located on the driver's side of the engine under the oil filter...

If the leak is on the upper FRONT of the engine on the passenger side, I'd 1st suspect that your CCV tube is blown thru, and then possibly gasket leaks on the low pressure intake tube... Possibly high pressure side red intake gaskets... All are very easy to do if you're already removing everything from the front of the engine to replace the thermostat (AND water pump while you're in there).

Replacement CCV tube can be purchased for around $15; the entire CCV tube assembly costs about $150 or so ($ USD)

Quotes I've seen in the states from BMW dealerships to replace just the thermostat is around $700 to $750 USD, for the entire job w/ parts included... Again, these are reported quotes from BMW dealerships, not an indy shop... Your quote $1000 CDN just for labor is more than this, without parts?!?!

I would ask your indy about the specifics of what 'special tools' he needs & post them here, as I don't know of any that are needed to replace the CCV tube, nor replace the gaskets on the low-pressure intake tube, nor replace the gaskets on the high pressure pre-intercooler red intake tube, nor for removal of all the stuff in front of the engine to replace the thermostat...

Also, you mentioned once your temps do actually reach 85C... Your thermostat might be a bit worn out if you're only sitting at 77-79C on a regular basis around town after the engine is fully warmed up; however, if it's getting to 85C in the winter, in Canada, within 15 minutes or so of steady driving on the highway, then you have more than enough time to delay the thermostat replacement to find another mechanic...

How long have you owned this vehicle? The "burning oil smell" could actually be a regeneration attempt... If you're lugging slowly around town with short trips in the middle of winter in Canada, I wouldn't doubt at all that you're only seeing 77-79C on a regular basis, & that you're also smelling odd smelling fumes due to regeneration attempts that are being prematurely terminated by stopping & shutting off the engine once you get to your destination... Are you also experiencing issues / codes related to the DPF? If so, I'd speculate that the issue isn't actually being caused by your slightly worn out thermostat, but is due to your driving habits & cold weather...

Last edited by SPL15; 02-28-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 10:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Riprock View Post
Since we only communicate via text
Welp, that would end it for me.

GL

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 03-06-2019, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Thanks for the responses and sorry for the slow response. To answer some of the questions I have had the vehicle for about 3 years and 70,000 miles. I do a combination of short distances and longer drives. I am aware multiple short trips with cold diesel engine is not ideal so I do try and drive it on the highway as much as possible, or at least dont do short trips with cold engine.
Engine only heats up to 77-79C when fully warmed up, driving on highway for multiple hours.

Mechanic could have been referring to the CCV tube but I didn't think it required “special tools” either, I have read small hands are a benefit.

I have included two pictures this time to try and show what I am looking at. The one pictures gives perspective on where in engine I am zooming into. The other picture shows their is oil leaking down the side and onto a variety of parts, including the CV boot way down.

I am trying to find another indy mechanic but I may be forced to take it to dealership. I will update once I have been able to finish.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4630.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	842817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4629.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	842819  
Old 03-06-2019, 05:38 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
that's most likely a turbo oil line leak or less likely a valve cover gasket. clean everything up and see where it comes back from. you defiantly need a new thermostat
take a pic of oil line #2
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_4264

2012 X5d | Deleted & BRR Tuned | DWR TCU Tune | 10.25" Android 8.1 Screen

Build Log
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1290337

Last edited by sunny_j; 03-06-2019 at 05:40 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search