Rear air suspension failure symptoms - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 12 X5 diesel, 04 330 CIC
Rear air suspension failure symptoms

Hey guys. My 2012 x5 is on original air suspension and I am trying to troubleshoot the problem to avoid being taken to cleaners.

For about a couple of months, I have noticed that my x5 was sitting very low on just one side. The problem has not been consistent as sometimes it took just one overnight of being parked, and sometimes the problem would not appear at all - the car was sitting perfectly level even if parked over the entire weekend. Then I am noticing that if parked over on slightly uneven surface, or with steering wheel turned, or in a bit colder weather, then the chances of the probel reappearing are much greater. Lastly, problem gotten bit worse as this morning I found the X5 sitting low on both sides.

Is that how the airbags go or is there something else at play (sensors)? Compressor works fine....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 06:32 AM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostyan View Post
Hey guys. My 2012 x5 is on original air suspension and I am trying to troubleshoot the problem to avoid being taken to cleaners.

For about a couple of months, I have noticed that my x5 was sitting very low on just one side. The problem has not been consistent as sometimes it took just one overnight of being parked, and sometimes the problem would not appear at all - the car was sitting perfectly level even if parked over the entire weekend. Then I am noticing that if parked over on slightly uneven surface, or with steering wheel turned, or in a bit colder weather, then the chances of the probel reappearing are much greater. Lastly, problem gotten bit worse as this morning I found the X5 sitting low on both sides.

Is that how the airbags go or is there something else at play (sensors)? Compressor works fine....

Speaking from experience with a different vehicle - LR Discovery/LR3 - What you describe are exactly the symptoms of failed airbags. The problem with continuing to use the vehicle in this condition is that you are bound to damage the compressor, which is usually overworked by having to constantly reinflate.

I am lucky that my X5 does not have a third row or airbag system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2020, 07:13 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Airbags' elastomer properties make the hole flow inconsistent with pressure, temperature and strain.

About compressors lifetime; I have two compressors that I can think of, both refrigerant compressors, one is about thirty years old. We rue the day when the refrigerator will have to be replaced, though I can't imagine why it might. Its greatest disturbance is monthly brushing and vacuuming the coils and external fan.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Just went through this myself. Yes one bad bag has an effect on the other. It does sound like there is a hole in at least one of the air bags. My guess is that you will find one of the bags squishy and deflated and the other side will be hard but lower to the ground. They are easy to replace and if you buy Arnott bags you will have a lifetime warranty. It is recommended to replace them in pairs and do so before the compressor burns out. There are a number of write ups on this. I just replaced mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 01-06-2020, 09:22 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
Yes one bad bag has an effect on the other.
If so then through the EHC circuitry. Each bag has its own blocking valve.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:27 AM

Also. If you replace them yourself it is important to keep the vehicle weight supported until the air bags fill up. Otherwise they can be damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 01-07-2020, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: X5D
I just had mine replaced at the dealership under warranty - extended warranty that I bought from Carmax. Same symptoms you described.

2013 x5d 75,000 Miles

Old 01-07-2020, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
you need new airbags. just had mine replaced on 08 x5, 91k miles. Do yourself a favor and check that all lugs are tightened to proper torque setting. Mine were not and nearly lost a wheel on the hwy.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
If you don't do it yourself then find an Indy Mechanic to complete this job. It is easy and will save you a pile of money. My Indy mechanic was about $2300 CDN cheaper then the dealership, I was SHOCKED to say the least.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Quick related question: one of my bags sometimes sags overnight, sometimes not. I would think a bag leak would be consistent. I inspected the bags and they looked good with no cracking (although a visual is by no means conclusive). Any tips? If not I will just replace them with arnotts.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: X5D
I would go ahead and replace it or risk wearing our the compressor. That is the advice that I read on various forums.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:27 AM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinasu View Post
Quick related question: one of my bags sometimes sags overnight, sometimes not. I would think a bag leak would be consistent. I inspected the bags and they looked good with no cracking (although a visual is by no means conclusive). Any tips? If not I will just replace them with arnotts.

The leak is not consistent at the beginning.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinasu View Post

They will usually crack open around the bottom where the bag rolls over itself. Then it only takes a little height variance to cover the tear or not cover the tear.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-09-2020, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Got it - thx guys.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search