Dealers Don't Want to Sell a Car? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer

Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors from supporting BMW dealerships. Get all of your BMW pricing, ordering, buying, financing, and leasing questions answered here!

Old 05-08-2020, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Dealers Don't Want to Sell a Car?

I called a few dealers in my local (NJ/NY) area in regards to purchasing a CPO 17 750. I was astounded by the responses I got from these dealers because it seemed to me that they did not want to sell me a car. Here are some highlights:
  • Dealer 1: Called, no response (maybe dealer is away/busy/closed- fine). Sent an email and received a response 24 hours later asking me if I would like to come in and check out the car or if I had any questions. I responded with "no need- here's my bank's pre approval" and inquired about the next steps. Then another 24 hours later, an email said someone had already placed a deposit on the car.

• Dealer 2: Called. Picked up quickly. I asked if the price is negotiable and the rep said yes. She forwarded me to sales and we talked a bit about the car. I had him send me an email with the packages/ options the car had. I looked over his pdf and it looked good. I replied back, "I think you're valuing little high, give me your best offer." The reply back was, "I cannot lower the price, here's my used car manager's number, YOU call him."

• Dealer 3 and 4: Very similar to dealer 2, except when inquired if there was room for negotiations, they said no and that was it.

Given covid-19 and that these cars have been sitting on the lot since December/ January, I thought making a deal would be easy. It has turned out rather difficult!

I am honestly in no rush in buying a 750 but if and when the opportunity poses itself, I am ready to make a deal. These dealers didn't offer to talk to their manager or even attempt to negotiate a price. There was no "The best I can do is $X off" or "How about this other car?"

I understand dealers aren't in the business of giving away cars, and that's not what I asked of them. All I'm simply asking is "Do you want to play ball?" and the overwhelming response has been "no". I am absolutely confused about this situation.

Whats the rationale behind this behavior? and maybe more importantly, how do I buy a cpo 750? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2020, 03:52 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
What have you invested, phone calls and e-mails? Zero value. Get some skin-in-the-game.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
What have you invested, phone calls and e-mails? Zero value. Get some skin-in-the-game.
What does that mean? Go test drive a car he already knows he wants? I'm asking because I'm in a similar position as the OP (also searching the NY/NJ/CT area, looking for a used M550), and have had the identical experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2020, 04:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.li View Post
I understand dealers aren't in the business of giving away cars, and that's not what I asked of them. All I'm simply asking is "Do you want to play ball?" and the overwhelming response has been "no". I am absolutely confused about this situation.

Whats the rationale behind this behavior? and maybe more importantly, how do I buy a cpo 750? TIA.
My take is that a deal is reached with willing buyer and willing seller. If the price is not right for either party, there will be no deal, COV or otherwise.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:02 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbarianMW View Post
What does that mean? Go test drive a car he already knows he wants? I'm asking because I'm in a similar position as the OP (also searching the NY/NJ/CT area, looking for a used M550), and have had the identical experience.
So you think itís a buyers market, that dealers are desperate for YOU. Nyaah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
[ Much to my surprise there has been somewhat of a buying frenzy this week. Hopefully, when we get past the initial surge some semblance of normalcy will return.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: MINI Clubman S All4
We receive letters from realtors on a regular basis, asking if we're interested in selling our home. We throw them away.

Were we interested in selling, the letter I'd be watching would say, "My qualified client has driven past and walked past your beautiful home and is prepared to make an offer, subject to a walk through. We understand the current market and have evaluated local comps and, if after a walk through, my client is interested in proceeding, he will be prepared to offer in the $x,xxx,xxx to $x,yyy,yyy range. If you are interested in considering selling your home within this price range, we would welcome the opportunity..."

That would get my attention.

If I wanted to buy a car from a dealer, I'd contact the sales manager and say, "I've viewed that 750 you have listed. It appears to be close to what I'm looking for. I'd like to see and drive the car and, if it feels like it's the BMW I've been seeking, I am prepared to make an offer and drive it home today. When can I see the car?"

Once you've driven the car and engaged with the dealership and they know you're for real, they will be prepared to consider your offer. That's the business they're in.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 M4 ZCP
Quote:
So you think itís a buyers market, that dealers are desperate for YOU. Nyaah.
How is expecting a salesperson to do their job being desperate? If I know there is a car I want, I donít step foot into the dealer until there is an agreed deal in writing.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
I donít step foot into the dealer until there is an agreed deal in writing.
You expect the dealerís agent to come to you to execute the ďagreed deal in writing?Ē

I know why business prefer to do deals over the phone, but I - hard of hearing - wonít. I like to parse thoughtless prattle.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 M4 ZCP
Quote:
You expect the dealerís agent to come to you to execute the ďagreed deal in writing?Ē

I know why business prefer to do deals over the phone, but I - hard of hearing - wonít. I like to parse thoughtless prattle.
When did I say dealer coming to me? Before coronavirus I would want it in email or text. Now with coronavirus, dealers are offering contracts mailed to me. In addition, Iíve shopped for cars on the other side of the country. Everything was done by overnight mail, phone, and email. Iím not going to fly cross country just to sign a piece of paper.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:54 PM

I've had a dealer bring the car to our home for a test drive and complete the paperwork at our kitchen table. The mechanics of the paperwork and delivery are, usually, easy. COVID notwithstanding.

The problem OP seems to have posed is about sending and receiving signals that communicate to the dealer that there is a potential deal.

"How much will you sell it for?" "Your price seems too high." Are NOT deal starters, in my experience.

"I'm very interested in the car I saw on your web page today. What's the best way these days to do a deal? I'm ready to proceed if the car is right and we can agree on terms."

In my experience, when things aren't smooth, there is usually a problem with the way signals are sent and/or received. Just sayin'.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: '20 M4 CS, '20 Volvo S60
I think they read your intentions and reacted accordingly:

"Given covid-19 and that these cars have been sitting on the lot since December/ January, I thought making a deal would be easy. It has turned out rather difficult!

I am honestly in no rush in buying a 750 but if and when the opportunity poses itself, I am ready to make a deal."

These folks have a lot of experience reading people.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 05-08-2020, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968BMW2800 View Post
I've had a dealer bring the car to our home for a test drive and complete the paperwork at our kitchen table. The mechanics of the paperwork and delivery are, usually, easy. COVID notwithstanding.

The problem OP seems to have posed is about sending and receiving signals that communicate to the dealer that there is a potential deal.

"How much will you sell it for?" "Your price seems too high." Are NOT deal starters, in my experience.

"I'm very interested in the car I saw on your web page today. What's the best way these days to do a deal? I'm ready to proceed if the car is right and we can agree on terms."

In my experience, when things aren't smooth, there is usually a problem with the way signals are sent and/or received. Just sayin'.
Insight noted. That's probably what happened.

Communication is a two way street and I expected the dealer to keep talking to try to sell me a car. Admittedly, when I converse with the dealer, it's usually concise and to the the point, I do try to show that I am flexible and not looking for a specific numerical value. I definitely can improve sending correct signals. At the same time, I think it is reasonable to expect the dealer to respond with more than a "no".
Old 05-08-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Insight noted. That's probably what happened.

Communication is a two way street and I expected the dealer to keep talking to try to sell me a car. Admittedly, when I converse with the dealer, it's usually concise and to the the point, I do try to show that I am flexible and not looking for a specific numerical value. I definitely can improve sending correct signals. At the same time, I think it is reasonable to expect the dealer to respond with more than a "no".
It is unusual for a dealer to cut off a potential sale.

I appreciate your introspection.

There are some guys who can score simply by walking up to a girl and proposing, "Let's get drunk and screw."

My preferred approach, and one that seemed preferred by those I approached was, "Would you allow me to buy you dinner sometime this week?"

In my experience, all successful negotiations happen within the context of a relationship. Attend to that relationship and the desired outcome often follows.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 18 M4 ZCP Cabrio & 18 X5M
[email protected] I'm not sure if BMW NA offers a sales volume bonus similar to used cars that a BMW center can sell a car at a loss and make it up on hitting the sales volume bonus. COVID-19 has changed the current automotive market that dealerships have to maximize the profit per vehicle sold, as dealerships can not rely on volume sales.

Asking for a lower price right off the bat is not proper negotiation, as I recommend you reading Secrets of Power Negotiating by Roger Dawson.
2015 X5 50i M PCD 10/14-Rtd
2015 435 Cabrio M ED 9/14-Rtd
2011 X3 35i M PCD 6/11- Rtd
2011 335is Cabrio ED 9/2010-PCD 12/10-Rtd
2007 X3is PCD 1/07-Rtd
2007 335i Cabrio PCD 6/07-Rtd
2004 328i Cabrio PCD 3/04-Rtd
BMW Driving Experience Tracks:
Arjeplog Ice Training 2019
Nordschleife 2012 & 2018
Intensive Training for Professional Drivers 2017
Hockenheimring 2014
Advanced M VIR 2011
BMWCCA
Old 05-08-2020, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: '20 M4 CS, '20 Volvo S60
I'll throw out another point to consider. With email, texts, social media, chain jerking has become a part of life. How many dealers have been fed seemingly good promises, only to have them turn to nothing? Waste of time. My last purchase started with warm emails. They made an offer. I countered. They said their original was final. Radio silence for a few days.

I went down to see the car. Made an offer that was 1.7% higher than my initial offer in terms of selling price. Deal accepted 30 min from closing. Drove off in the car next day. All likely because I was there in person, ready to deal.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 05-08-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968BMW2800 View Post

Once you've driven the car and engaged with the dealership and they know you're for real, they will be prepared to consider your offer. That's the business they're in.
Not always the case.

My go-to dealer recently pretty much told me to piss off. This from a guy I've bought several cars from. They aren't doing **** for business yet he had no interest in making deal. Didn't even try really.

Instead I'm going to pick up a car tomorrow from a dealer I've never met. The whole deal was completed in a couple emails. Go figure....
Old 05-08-2020, 09:50 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
This threat really pisses me off. Please name offending dealers, post reviews, etc.

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing ē NEW BMW SALES ē email me for a quote: [email protected]
Old 05-09-2020, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: F15 X5
Funny you started this thread as I had an interesting Email reply from a dealership yesterday regarding a CPO. When I revealed I was an out of state buyer the sales person sent me this "Also, we do require customers to be here in person to make the purchase to avoid any issues with the car your buying."

I've purchased 4 cars from out of state (3 of them new) and this response was a first.

Last edited by Shiner21; 05-09-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:08 AM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340xi M-Sport
I had a similar experience yesterday. I located a 540xi executive demo at a local dealership and sent an email inquiry. They responded quickly and answered my questions. I made a written lease offer that was aggressive, but hardly a low-ball. The counter offer was essentially worse than the advertised price of the car (after a back-of-the-envelope calculations). Either they didn't actually read/consider my offer and just sent their opening figures or were sending me a message. Needless to say, I politely declined and ended the conversation.

2017 340i xDrive | Mineral Gray | Coral Red Dakota | M-Sport | M Performance Power & Sound | ZCW | ZDA | ZLP | 2PE | 2VF| ZTP | 5DL | 5DP | 6CP
2017 X3 2.8 xDrive | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown Dakota | ZXD | ZW2 | ZDA | ZLP | ZP3 | ZTP | 5DL

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 05-09-2020, 11:35 AM

So, something is in the wind. Experienced, repeat customers are on this thread saying it feels, and is, different now.

Just an uninformed thought... we are in the midst of a paradigm shift, and it's happening while dealers are experiencing economic stress that is different than times past. They can't "put up the balloons and banners" and set up the hot dog cart on Saturday. New inventory is stuck at the port. The factories have shut down production. Nobody wants to get or give the infection.

And we are calling dealers asking for the usual 'Fester low-ball specials.

Setting aside issues with dealer response time and availability resulting from chaos for which they were not prepared, I think there is increased sensitivity on the part of dealers -- sure they want to sell cars -- but they don't need any more hassles or complexities, so we may be seeing some unfortunate knee-jerk resistance from dealers to getting into anything that might feel to them as complicated.

I suppose if I called a BMW Center and asked, "Is the 750 shown on your web site still available at the listed asking price?," I would get a straight answer. And if I said, "Great. When can I come in and test drive it?," I'd get a straightforward response. And, if I showed up for a scheduled test drive appointment and liked the car and pulled out my checkbook and paid the asking price, I'd have a quick and easy deal.

But if I want to play the game the 'Fester way, looks like I'm going to apply some extra thoughtful negotiating skill, starting with reassuring the dealer that I won't be another problem on top of all their other problems.

I'm not saying or implying some of the posters on this thread are, or intended to be, problems. I'm just saying it's time for extra sensitivity, because, clearly, some dealers just aren't in the mood to give us the special treatment. Maybe a big mistake and missed opportunity on the dealers' part.

Keep your eyes on the prize, don't think too much about how it ought to be, and, figure out the magic formula to get what you want. Success awaits, 'cause BMW dealers need to sell cars.

Last edited by 1968BMW2800; 05-09-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: M3
For the record my experience was at a Merc dealer not a BMW dealer. So anyway I found an awesome dealer in NJ now, if youíre looking for a Merc I can PM you the name.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:03 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 330i
My take: The OP (who has been a 'Fest member for 2 years, yet made under 20 posts total - hardly what I would call a seasoned veteran) is going about it all wrong.

I have an ordered car en route to a major Boston area dealer. I've exchanged half a dozen emails with my CA (actually SM) over the past 3 weeks. They have a total of THREE folks in the sales department who are back at work. The rest of the department has been furloughed. These three employees are busier than one-armed paper hangers. They are working first and foremost on getting ordered cars delivered, adjusting deals for the wild new incentives, and trying to get the returned lease cars for those buyers grounded. They are out straight.

I'm not sure they have the time to even help walk-in customers. Some stranger who shoots the store an email, and appears for all the world to be a tire kicker? Haggle over a mini CPO deal, probably with a trade thrown into the mix (a trade that is likely just going to gather cobwebs till the auctions reopen)? Fuggedaboutit.

If you are indeed serious (and your follow up posts tend to indicate you are not), it's up to YOU to do the research, YOU to make a reasonable offer they can counter, and YOU to be transparent about the time frame and the trade. Act like a mensch and you will be treated like one. Act like a putz, and ....

If you are a legit serious buyer

2020 540i MSport
2017 330i Sport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 05-09-2020, 03:58 PM

Refrencing OP's experience looking for a used CPO, here's some info showing the roller coaster dealers are riding these days. To say it is a dynamic situation is to put it mildly.

From Manhiem:

"Wholesale prices are stabilizing as the excess supply of used vehicles comes down. Reviewing a rolling 7-day estimate the of used retail days' supply based on vAuto data, we see that used retail supply peaked at 115 days on April 8th. Normal used retail supply is about 44 days' supply. It ended April at 53 days. We estimate that wholesale supply peaked at 149 days on April 9th when normal supply is 23. It was down to 65 days by month end.

April total new vehicle sales were down 47% year-over-year, with one more selling day compared to April 2019. The April SAAR came in at 8.6 million, a decrease from last year's 16.5 million and down from March's 11.4 million rate. This is the lowest monthly SAAR going back to 1976. Their cars continue to see declines as share in April fell to 23%, an all-time monthly low."
Old 05-09-2020, 08:41 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
more importantly, how do I buy a cpo 750? TIA.
h.li, have you considered a non-CPO 750i? CPO is essentially an expensive extended warranty promoted by the manufacturer. Beyond that warranty, there's nothing particularly special about a CPO car.

If you're willing go the non-CPO route, don't expend any further effort contacting local BMW dealerships. Instead, investigate if any 2017 750i models offered by online sellers meet your requirements in terms of condition, equipment, price, etc.

Here's a 2017 750i at Carvana: https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1379665

Old 05-10-2020, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
I wonder also, if during these times, dealers get calls from other dealers posing as buyers, simply to gather information. I don't have any proof to back that up, but if they suspect someone is just fishing for information, the dealer just might be curt and unresponsive.
2020 530i

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Today's Posts Search