One Small COVID-19 Victory - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer

Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors from supporting BMW dealerships. Get all of your BMW pricing, ordering, buying, financing, and leasing questions answered here!

Old 05-21-2020, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Under no circumstances would I buy a 20k beater to save miles on my 18k value BMW. Drive your BMW and enjoy it. I highly doubt you are saving money owning a beater versus driving your BMW for all of your needs (even when the BMW is new).

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
As with any decisions, "It all depends..."

I used to drive 20k miles/year, much of that business travel. A lot of the places I went for work weren't safe to park a BMW (near the Mexican border, downtown Washington D.C., Bitchslap, Arkansas, etc.)

Also, in my neck of the woods vandalism of expensive cars is a big problem, from the trashy, redneck tourists. At work, my car was hammered by sunlight ten hours/day and a cardinal who saw his reflection in the side view mirrors and attacked it. We also had vandalism problems where I worked. Vandalism and sunlight are my main reasons for keeping a beater. The $1500 I spend in off-site garage rental is money well spent.

I've done the math. I always do the math. The deprecation, maintenance, and capital costs on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS has been $0.19/mile since new. My 2014 535i's has been $0.95 since new. When I was splitting the 20k miles/year between a BMW and a beater, I was saving thousands of dollars per year. But, as I drive less the fixed costs for the Cobalt (insurance, garage rental, capital costs, tags) are eating up most of my savings of keeping a beater.

Now that I'm retired, I'm only driving about 11k miles/year. I'm starting to have to replace tires due to old age instead of tread wear.

My next German car will likely be a 330i or a Carrera S. Also, we're eventually moving to get away from the vandalous, redneck tourists. It it's the 330i, I will not need a beater. But, for a $130k Porsche, having a beater would again make sense.

Our move out of Bubbalville Beach, Floriduh has been delayed for a while, due to one of our cats going blind. She's functional and happy, but she would not be able to adapt to a new house. I'm leaning toward keeping the 2007 Cobalt a few more years, and saving my $4k in GM rebates to see if I get a 330i or a Carrera S in three or four years. I really hate the idea of putting $800 tires on a $2000 car. But, the math says it makes sense to do so.

The previous 911 had a spare tire available. But, so far the new 911 (the 992) doesn't offer one. In the old 991, the spare only worked on the front. For a flat on the back, you put a good front tire on the back and the spare on the front. But, the 992's rear tires have a 1" greater rolling diameter. So, you can't put a front tire on the back. Porsche has a few years to come up with a solution before I replace my 535i.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 05-21-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: MINI Clubman S All4
Nobody will ever accuse Autoputzer of "underthinking" a problem.

BTW, Putzer, don't spend $800 on new rubber for the Chevy. Cooper makes really decent tires, as do others, for around $100/wheel.

There. Plug that $400 savings into your spreadsheet.

You're welcome.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968BMW2800 View Post

BTW, Putzer, don't spend $800 on new rubber for the Chevy. Cooper makes really decent tires, as do others, for around $100/wheel.

You're welcome.
I had friend buy Coopers back in the mid-1990's. I warned him not to do it. At least two of the tires were out of round and the tire shop kept rebalancing them. It took several trips before they paid to have the tires shaved back to round. He was one of those people who didn't like being told "I told you so." I moved to Florida, and years later he tracked me down to tell me he'd bought another set of Coopers.

Those Coopers are made in China. I don't by Chinese stuff if I can avoid it.

I'm currently on my second set of Conti' DW's, now replaced by ExtremeContact Sports. Here's what Tire Rack charges:

Cooper RSG-G1: $114/tire

Michelin PS A/S 3+: $173/tire

Continental ExtremeContac Sport: $144/tire.

Michelin and Continental have periodic rebates of $70 for a set of four.

Bridgestone Potenza S)-4 Pole Position: $146

'I'm also going to replace the six year old spare tire. The OE spare let go in the first mile I drove on it when it was eight years old. So, replacing the spares when they're six years old is now SOP for me.

I've found that Continentals need a lot more air pressure to wear evenly than Michelin's do. My DW's are now at 42 PSI, seven PSI over the pressures recommended on the door decal. It'd be worth the extra $116 to get the Michelin's over the Conti's to be able to run them at lower pressures. Based on the Bridgestone' on Frau Putzer's X3, they fall somewhere in between the Michelin's and Conti's.

Ironically, the Michelin's are made in the U.S., and the Conti's are made in France.

My tentative plan is to keep the Cobalt until we move to Tennessee. I'll find it the Cobalt a good home in a trailer park or enlisted barracks here before I go. There are deserving people in those places who can really use a deal on a cheap car.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 05-21-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I had friend buy Coopers back in the mid-1990's. I warned him not to do it. At least two of the tires were out of round and the tire shop kept rebalancing them. It took several trips before they paid to have the tires shaved back to round. He was one of those people who didn't like being told "I told you so." I moved to Florida, and years later he tracked me down to tell me he'd bought another set of Coopers.

Those Coopers are made in China. I don't by Chinese stuff if I can avoid it.

I'm currently on my second set of Conti' DW's, now replaced by ExtremeContact Sports. Here's what Tire Rack charges:

Cooper RSG-G1: $114/tire

Michelin PS A/S 3+: $173/tire

Continental ExtremeContac Sport: $144/tire.

Michelin and Continental have periodic rebates of $70 for a set of four.

Bridgestone Potenza S)-4 Pole Position: $146

'I'm also going to replace the six year old spare tire. The OE spare let go in the first mile I drove on it when it was eight years old. So, replacing the spares when they're six years old is now SOP for me.

I've found that Continentals need a lot more air pressure to wear evenly than Michelin's do. My DW's are now at 42 PSI, seven PSI over the pressures recommended on the door decal. It'd be worth the extra $116 to get the Michelin's over the Conti's to be able to run them at lower pressures. Based on the Bridgestone' on Frau Putzer's X3, they fall somewhere in between the Michelin's and Conti's.

Ironically, the Michelin's are made in the U.S., and the Conti's are made in France.

My tentative plan is to keep the Cobalt until we move to Tennessee. I'll find it the Cobalt a good home in a trailer park or enlisted barracks here before I go. There are deserving people in those places who can really use a deal on a cheap car.
I've had Coopers on my Jaguar XJ-S convertible for several years. Prior to fitting the Coopers, there was a front end vibration @ around 60mph that could not be cured. Issue resolved when the Coopers went on. The car is a garage queen yet, despite sitting for weeks at a time, the Coopers have maintained shape and integrity.

I recently took off the OEM runflats from my Cooper S Clubman and mounted Coopers. Smoother ride, solid cornering, not fabulous in rain, but more than acceptable, and, besides, it never rains in Southern California. YMMV, but my point remains, ~ $100/tire will get you good rubber for the use to which you put your beater these days.

Or.... go lease yourself a nice new Bimmer or whatever. Rent your lifestyle. It's fun. Life is short. Can't take it with you and your cats don't need the inheritance.

Last edited by 1968BMW2800; 05-21-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I've had Coopers on my Jaguar XJ-S convertible for several years. Prior to fitting the Coopers, there was a front end vibration @ around 60mph that could not be cured. Issue resolved when the Coopers went on. The car is a garage queen yet, despite sitting for weeks at a time, the Coopers have maintained shape and integrity.

I recently took off the OEM runflats from my Cooper S Clubman and mounted Coopers. Smoother ride, solid cornering, not fabulous in rain, but more than acceptable, and, besides, it never rains in Southern California. YMMV, but my point remains, ~ $100/tire will get you good rubber for the use to which you put your beater these days.

Or.... go lease yourself a nice new Bimmer or whatever. Rent your lifestyle. It's fun. Life is short. Can't take it with you and your cats don't need the inheritance.
Cooper's must be getting better. Tire Rack now sells them. They didn't for literally decades. I still try to buy tires made in the U.S. or Canada if I can, though. Michelin's moved a lot of their high-performance tire production here from Europe.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Life's too short to drive uninteresting beaters.

My 'beater'; is an E39M5. Was my airport car....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 05-21-2020, 02:45 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
As with any decisions, "It all depends..."

I used to drive 20k miles/year, much of that business travel. A lot of the places I went for work weren't safe to park a BMW (near the Mexican border, downtown Washington D.C., Bitchslap, Arkansas, etc.)

Also, in my neck of the woods vandalism of expensive cars is a big problem, from the trashy, redneck tourists. At work, my car was hammered by sunlight ten hours/day and a cardinal who saw his reflection in the side view mirrors and attacked it. We also had vandalism problems where I worked. Vandalism and sunlight are my main reasons for keeping a beater. The $1500 I spend in off-site garage rental is money well spent.

I've done the math. I always do the math. The deprecation, maintenance, and capital costs on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS has been $0.19/mile since new. My 2014 535i's has been $0.95 since new. When I was splitting the 20k miles/year between a BMW and a beater, I was saving thousands of dollars per year. But, as I drive less the fixed costs for the Cobalt (insurance, garage rental, capital costs, tags) are eating up most of my savings of keeping a beater.

Now that I'm retired, I'm only driving about 11k miles/year. I'm starting to have to replace tires due to old age instead of tread wear.

My next German car will likely be a 330i or a Carrera S. Also, we're eventually moving to get away from the vandalous, redneck tourists. It it's the 330i, I will not need a beater. But, for a $130k Porsche, having a beater would again make sense.

Our move out of Bubbalville Beach, Floriduh has been delayed for a while, due to one of our cats going blind. She's functional and happy, but she would not be able to adapt to a new house. I'm leaning toward keeping the 2007 Cobalt a few more years, and saving my $4k in GM rebates to see if I get a 330i or a Carrera S in three or four years. I really hate the idea of putting $800 tires on a $2000 car. But, the math says it makes sense to do so.

The previous 911 had a spare tire available. But, so far the new 911 (the 992) doesn't offer one. In the old 991, the spare only worked on the front. For a flat on the back, you put a good front tire on the back and the spare on the front. But, the 992's rear tires have a 1" greater rolling diameter. So, you can't put a front tire on the back. Porsche has a few years to come up with a solution before I replace my 535i.

Ok.....now I better understand your reasons for having a beater. Under your circumstances, I can see the logic. I have always been one of those people that never understood why people buy nice things like a BMW and then “preserve” them instead of using them. My thought was always “you paid for it so you should use it and replace it when it wears out versus preserving it”, but your situation is/was unique. Having owned many 3’s and 5’s, I find the 3 series the better blend of sport and luxury and practicality. The 3 offers virtually the same interior usability as the 5 while being substantially less expensive and more sporty than the 5. This logic applies to M cars too. But on the SUV front, I vastly prefer the x5/x6 to the x3/x4. Go figure.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:46 PM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

I always wanted an E39 M5. I missed the opportunity....

Old 05-21-2020, 02:49 PM
East Coast Commuter

Arguably THE Darkest Day of my BMW Career...5.14.2020

Quote:

You're welcome.

I’m with putzter on this one. From my experience, Coopers are crap tires. It might be different now, but Coopers will never end up on a car I drive.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 05-21-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I’m with putzter on this one. From my experience, Coopers are crap tires. It might be different now, but Coopers will never end up on a car I drive.

I was surprised when my tire guy recommended the Coopers for my Jag, and then again for my Clubman. I've purchased Pirellis from him several times -- my wife still has a set of P-4s on her '84 Jag, and they are very good around town tires.

But the tire guy, who is in business to sell tires and make money, told me to save my money and get the Coopers, which he says are now some of the more underrated rubber he sells. And he sells all the high end brands as well. I didn't even get the more pricey Coopers for the Clubman. At the tire guy's suggestion, I went with the Evolution Touring V rated.

The Coopers, thus far, have been great. In the case of the XJ-S, which is used for cruises down Pacific Coast Highway, topping out at less than 65MPH, they are smooth, no squeal, very good stopping, and stay in balance and round, considering the car rarely moves out of the garage, which can be murder on tires. They have nitrogen fill, which my tire guy does for free, and it does help hold the pressure month after month.

As for the Clubman, which engages in a bit more spirited driving, the Cooper Evolutions are superior to the OEM Pirellis in many ways. Not quite the lateral grip, but much better ride characteristics and certainly quieter, especially at highway speeds. I have a factory donut spare in the Clubman as well. And, since the Clubby is leased and will not see lots of miles, these Coopers will do the job for three years and the factory new OEMs will get remounted at lease end. About $420 bucks to "rent" the Coopers for three years. So far, so good. Time will tell.

So let's say the Coopers suck in the end, and let's say anyone who risks life and limb by not putting highline tires on a car is a fool. We all manage risk differently. My spreadsheet says I'm winning thus far. Let's hope my luck holds.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

Here in Bubbaville, Billy Bob would trash that E39 M5 of yours real quick.

Frau Putzer had friend who moved her from South Beach, and they were in SOCAL before that. They referred to this place a "the trailer park." Here's an example of what happens if you mix a BMW and the redneck tourists here. They're not all bad, but there's enough bad ones to be a problem. This place is where the dregs of the southeastern US go to let their mullets down.

I got into something with three ***holes in another Taco Bell parking lot years earlier when driving my E46 M3. These weren't rednecks, though. They were more Occupy Wall Street or militant tree hugger types. They were mad because I had an eight year old BMW worth maybe $18k. They weren't very tough, though.

I averaged 9k miles/year on my M3, and so far 11k miles/year on my 535i. So, I got my use out of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alabama tourist white trash.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	893461  
Old 05-21-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Here in Bubbaville, Billy Bob would trash that E39 M5 of yours real quick.

Frau Putzer had friend who moved her from South Beach, and they were in SOCAL before that. They referred to this place a "the trailer park." Here's an example of what happens if you mix a BMW and the redneck tourists here. They're not all bad, but there's enough bad ones to be a problem. This place is where the dregs of the southeastern US go to let their mullets down.

I got into something with three ***holes in another Taco Bell parking lot years earlier when driving my E46 M3. These weren't rednecks, though. They were more Occupy Wall Street or militant tree hugger types. They were mad because I had an eight year old BMW worth maybe $18k. They weren't very tough, though.

I averaged 9k miles/year on my M3, and so far 11k miles/year on my 535i. So, I got my use out of them.
Shame on you for parkin' that furin seedan car so close next to that big old Chevy truck. I mean, that Chevy driver got his tires right on the white line. That's some parking skill, right there. Yessir.

Last edited by 1968BMW2800; 05-21-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Shame on you for parkin' that furin seedan car so close next to that big old Chevy truck. I mean, that Chevy driver got his tires right on the white line. That's some parking skill, right there. Yessir.
Tourists get mad at the locals if it's raining on their beach vacation.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:42 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon528 View Post
Jon, any word on if although ED orders for MY20 vehicles were cancelled, dealers were still able to place ED orders for MY21 vehicles to be picked up by September?
Hey Shon, here is the latest update.

1) If BMW was not going to let anyone do a model year 2020 European Delivery, then why didn't they just say so up front? Seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?

2) I had three solid ED orders with production numbers, now yes, the latest, customer can do a model year 2021. However, BMW is *not* replacing the deleted/obliterated/vaporized production numbers that we lost. We have to wait, hope, pray for a large miracle, that in the next month or so, a gift from God delivers a M2 and a couple of M5 allocations to my dealership. The likelihood of that happening? I would estimate p = .05. BMW of Santa Maria is a small dealership in rural Central Cal. Without divine intervention, I am afraid my ED customers will be S.O.L...

3) And it's not even just my Euro Delivery orders that I lost. I lost a 230i Cp, a M340xi sedan, a X3 M40i, and a MY 2021 X3M. Mum has been the word from BMWNA. A full week has passed and I don't have ANYTHING to give to my customers information-wise, so I am feeling pretty hopeless that BMW is going to help. At all...

Before D-Day" (D as in "Delete Day") we were told in a dealer bulletin that we would receive assistance, that everything that could be possibly done in the spirit of maintaining customer satisfaction would be done. This has not been my experience at all. I did manage to re-fill a Bimmerfest Members X3 M40i order with an alternate production number, but I feel like I am totally on my own here trying to do the very best for my customers that I possibly can...

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing • NEW BMW SALES • email me for a quote: [email protected]

Last edited by Jon Shafer; 05-22-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 X5
Unfortunately BMW NA stopped caring about it customers for several years. I understand the financial realities and their focus on short term objectives. But BMW has changed along with other manufacturers. That is why you, Jon make a difference but you will get your fair share of bruises trying to play interference.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:16 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
I have some awesome news to report!

BMW of North America has stepped it up and is taking care of the European Delivery customers..

Those who had filed the appropriate paperwork (and allocation if M Car) before the 'Sunset' deadline are going to Europe!

Thank you Raven and the entire Special Sales Team!!

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing • NEW BMW SALES • email me for a quote: [email protected]
Old 05-22-2020, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 18 Audi Q7 / 05 BMW 330i
Jon,

Awesome news and thanks for sharing with the group.

Best Regards,

Chuck
Old 05-22-2020, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 340i
That is great news! Can you share how it came down the pipe?
Old 05-23-2020, 06:23 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
- Arguably THE Darkest Day of my BMW Career...5.14.2020
lol on the title change....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 05-23-2020, 07:52 PM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
I have some awesome news to report!

BMW of North America has stepped it up and is taking care of the European Delivery customers..

Those who had filed the appropriate paperwork (and allocation if M Car) before the 'Sunset' deadline are going to Europe!

Thank you Raven and the entire Special Sales Team!!

As a recipient of your hard work, I'm very grateful, Jon!

Going to get to check off this bucket list item after all! ///M5 ED!
2014 BMW M5
Retired Bimmers:
2014 BMW i3
2013 BMW 550
2009 BMW 335
Old 05-24-2020, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
He didn't park next to the truck. He parked far away from everyone but then the truck parked next to him and swung his massive door into his car. At least that is the way it works with me.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:53 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: cars with studded tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
As a recipient of your hard work, I'm very grateful, Jon!

Going to get to check off this bucket list item after all! ///M5 ED!
Congrats Aggie! You'll definitely enjoy running your new M5 car around Bavaria, especially since traffic has been Covidfied

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 05-25-2020, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto:
Any idea how and if this affects the european customers?

I ordered a G31 on April 6th from a swedish dealer, but still no word from the dealer on when/if it will be delivered.

Tracking european orders does not seem as easy as it does for US customers. I'm left with whatever information I get from the dealer.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 340i
Just received the call from my salesguy here in Colorado. He had his allocations restored (it will be MY21) and we're just waiting to hear back from Raven on dates. Woot!
Old 05-27-2020, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: '17 330e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helles View Post
Just received the call from my salesguy here in Colorado. He had his allocations restored (it will be MY21) and we're just waiting to hear back from Raven on dates. Woot!
That's certainly a positive development - hopefully the situation keeps improving across the country.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Today's Posts Search