Has anyone used swaplease? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Classifieds > Cars - Private Party

Cars - Private Party
Do you have a car for sale? Are you looking for a new BMW? Check here daily as well as searching on craigslist and eBay Motors

Old 04-30-2020, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Has anyone used swaplease?

Has anyone used swaplease.com to transfer the lease? They are charging 250 dollars from the seller for the listing. Is it worth it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 06:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335i, '00 323it
Yes, I was on the assumption end back in 2010 for a 2008 335i. Was a good deal for me - there were plenty of miles left on the lease and the car was in great shape. Those were the days of 4-year maintenance, so was painless. I turned it in at the end of the lease with no issues. Dealership certified it, then listed it as a one-owner. Technically I suppose that was true since it was a lease and owned by BMW Financials. The real original owner was great to work with.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335i, '00 323it
Yes, I would do it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 12:25 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 330i
I've assumed 2 leases from Swapalease and transferred one. Looked briefly at assuming another one last month.

As someone looking to get out of your lease, here are the considerations:
  1. You will get tire kickers who will waste your time, expect test drives, then either disappear, or be denied credit.
  2. You will be competing against folks with similar cars who made terrible lease deals, and are now throwing $$$$$$ into the deal in a desperate bid to find a sucker (ahem) taker.
  3. You will have folks who have had bad experiences with SAL before and automatically assume you are a snake oil salesman, with a car that has been in an accident, or has bald tires, been in a flood, etc. Because the guy who assumes the lease is 100% liable for all damages at lease end.
As an example on that last point. When I had my ///M3 vert I was looking for a short term lease on a decent winter car. There was a 535 Sportwagon in NYC at a very attractive price. Nicely equipped, 7 months remaining on the lease, and 10,000 miles remaining on the 3 year, 45,000 mile lease. Then I had the car inspected:
  • There was a ton of body damage, including both bumpers, 4 curbed wheels, and the shark fin antenna had been ripped off the roof. The original lessee: "Hey, I park on the street. It's new Yawk. These things happen!
  • The car was 8,000 miles overdue for an oil change;
  • There was a tear in the passenger seat leather;
  • Most egregious of all: the lease that was advertised as 45,000 miles was actually a 30,000 mile lease, and the woman was already 10,000 miles over her limit!
A couple alternatives to SAL: If you negotiated a really, really good lease, consider posting on Leasehackr. Or if your car is desirable and you are a BMWCCA member, post in Roundel and the classified of your local chapter. Our 2018 340i 6 MT MPPSK sat on Swapalease for 3 months with only tire kickers. 6 weeks after posting it in Roundel, I had 3 fellow BMWCCA members fighting over it.

2020 540i MSport
2017 330i Sport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 05-20-2020, 01:25 PM
Do You Smell That?

Mein Auto: 997.1
I used them to transfer my 530e. No issues at all. Happy to answer any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto:
Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I am thinking about transferring my lease and this was very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I've assumed 2 leases from Swapalease and transferred one. Looked briefly at assuming another one last month.

As someone looking to get out of your lease, here are the considerations:
  1. You will get tire kickers who will waste your time, expect test drives, then either disappear, or be denied credit.
  2. You will be competing against folks with similar cars who made terrible lease deals, and are now throwing $$$$$$ into the deal in a desperate bid to find a sucker (ahem) taker.
  3. You will have folks who have had bad experiences with SAL before and automatically assume you are a snake oil salesman, with a car that has been in an accident, or has bald tires, been in a flood, etc. Because the guy who assumes the lease is 100% liable for all damages at lease end.
As an example on that last point. When I had my ///M3 vert I was looking for a short term lease on a decent winter car. There was a 535 Sportwagon in NYC at a very attractive price. Nicely equipped, 7 months remaining on the lease, and 10,000 miles remaining on the 3 year, 45,000 mile lease. Then I had the car inspected:
  • There was a ton of body damage, including both bumpers, 4 curbed wheels, and the shark fin antenna had been ripped off the roof. The original lessee: "Hey, I park on the street. It's new Yawk. These things happen!
  • The car was 8,000 miles overdue for an oil change;
  • There was a tear in the passenger seat leather;
  • Most egregious of all: the lease that was advertised as 45,000 miles was actually a 30,000 mile lease, and the woman was already 10,000 miles over her limit!
A couple alternatives to SAL: If you negotiated a really, really good lease, consider posting on Leasehackr. Or if your car is desirable and you are a BMWCCA member, post in Roundel and the classified of your local chapter. Our 2018 340i 6 MT MPPSK sat on Swapalease for 3 months with only tire kickers. 6 weeks after posting it in Roundel, I had 3 fellow BMWCCA members fighting over it.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:31 AM
BMW 4 LIFE

Mein Auto: 16 M235i // Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by acou View Post
Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I am thinking about transferring my lease and this was very helpful.
I've used LeaseTrader 5 times over the years. Swapalease is the same thing. Post an INCENTIVE, hopefully decent miles left on the vehicle, multiple pics with a spotless car to show. The overall process is very simple...need a buyer with good credit. Have them pay the BMW transfer fee. I've been fortunate with my past experiences.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: M Roadster,740i,Tesla 3SP
I have used them for both assuming and swapping out of leases and have had good experience. I've even got my 740i up on them now!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
swaplease

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Classifieds > Cars - Private Party
Today's Posts Search