High speed rhythmic braking noise - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 05-28-2020, 04:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive35i
High speed rhythmic braking noise

I just picked up my "new" 2015 x3 35i and am hearing something that was not noticeable during the test drive. When braking from high speeds (40 mph+), there is a fast rhythmic, repetitive, low frequency (bass drum like) thumping sound. The rhythm decreases as I decelerate. It is not loud but it is noticeable. It is louder and the rhythm faster when braking from higher speeds (50 mph+). Below 30 mph, it is not noticeable at all. The symptoms are entirely audible. There is no pulsation in the pedal or the steering wheel. Hence, I don't think it is the rotors. Is this something related to the regenerative braking system? Possibly wheel balance? I am about to swap the wheels, front to back, to see if that has any effect. I'd appreciate any thoughts on what this is? Looks like this is something I need the dealer to fix. Other than this annoyance, I am liking the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 04:43 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Perhaps improperly 'bedded' brake pad material deposited on the rotors making high / hard spots. I believe that BMW has an explicit procedure for bedding new pads. In a word, do not rest hot new pads on the rotors.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:58 AM

Possibly. But this car has 46K and the pads are original. I cannot imagine the original owner driving that long with this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 09:26 AM

Issue resolved. I spoke with the dealership. They said cars that sit on the lot for awhile develop rusty rotors and it takes some time for the rust to wear off. I removed all the wheels and sanded down the rust on the outside and some on the inside. The noise is considerably reduced. I suspect that it will go completely away as I drive. Phew!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search