Cost to replace rear air spring - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5
Cost to replace rear air spring

2012 x5 35 with third row so I have rear air springs (lucky me I hear these only last 70-80k miles)

I had one replaced at a independent garage. Total cost was $500 ($350 BMW spring plus 1.5 hours labor)

This is a new mechanic for me so I was wondering if this was a good deal. I live in the northeast where everything at the dealer usually costs at least $1,000

Sent from my SM-T713 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
Wow thats a lot! Its a very easy job if you have some ability to fix things. I would say same level as changing a flat tire. It took me 30 mins to do mine the first time.
I got a generic replacement spring off amazon for like $150. You can always get one online and pay a shop to install again. No need to go OEM on those.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
$150 to pay someone to do it? While I could do it myself (and have on a similar BMW) for $150 I'd melt my credit card pulling it out so fast.

I don't think most BMW dealer will put air in your tire for less than $150.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
These types of questions are totally rhetorical IMO.

Some people here are DIY types. For them you overpaid because this is documented as an easy DIY job and there are sources for the part cheaper than the dealer or even some popular BMW part vendors. Not sure the 30 minute claim is 100% accurate if you consider the end to end process of getting into your work on the car clothes, position the car in the garage to work on it, possibly lift it, remove wheels, alternatively drive it on ramps, gather the tools you think you'll need, find the parts you stashed somewhere, do a job you've never done before, get the tools you actually need, finish the wrenching, put wheels back on, reset car on its four wheels, test the work, put tools away, clean yourself up including a nice shower cuz there's no way the other half is letting you sit on the couch with a celebratory beverage with car grime all over you. The actual wrenching time may be 30 minutes but I'd allocate at least 2 hours all in; I'll know for sure how long it takes when mine fail which shouldn't be too long from now given reports here.

You paid a third party to procure a BMW branded part and replace it. That shop owner has to lease their space, hire technicians, train them, buy equipment, maintain it all, buy insurance, pay taxes on what they make. They're not touching ANY car for less than a one hour charge. If you consider moving the car around, researching what they need to do, get the part, and possibly wash the car afterwards they probably have 1.5 hours into the job.
So, yeah, you got a fair deal because you did the first world thing, didn't get your hands dirty, just handed over your credit card. Ironically you probably also have nearly two hours of your time invested by having to drop off and pickup the car.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 08-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozer View Post
Wow thats a lot! Its a very easy job if you have some ability to fix things. I would say same level as changing a flat tire. It took me 30 mins to do mine the first time.
I got a generic replacement spring off amazon for like $150. You can always get one online and pay a shop to install again. No need to go OEM on those.
Minor quibble: The Arnott bags are OEM.

Arnott makes the OE BMW bags, hence Arnott is the OEM. Their bags are OEM bags.

BMW branded bags are OE bags.

Commo misuse of the term OEM.

Agree, Arnott bags are the ticket, MUCH cheaper that BMW labeled parts...

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 08-11-2017, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
Yes they are indeed, i didnt use Arnott. It was some other brand that was cheaper than Arnott bags. Cant remember the brand unless i dig into my Amazon history.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
. No need to go OEM on those.
Quote:
Yes they are indeed, i didnt use Arnott. It was some other brand that was cheaper than Arnott bags. Cant remember the brand unless i dig into my Amazon history.
I was just referencing your note to the OP about 'no need to go OEM' which I took was a reference to HIS use of the term "BMW Springs"

So your advice is "no need to go OE, and in fact no need to go OEM...you can just do aftermarket"

But I digress...

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 08-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 5
I'm going start using this guy more - small shop i'd rather give him the money for honest work . Like fredoin said it takes me an hour just to get the wheel off all said and done.

Somewhat off topic but does the compressor shut off after a while? I was afraid that I was going to try the comoressor but luckily it broke close to my house and the shop is three miles away

Sent from my SM-T713 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 08-13-2017, 07:00 AM
nothing today

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
codog2,

Your $500 price is good. I had rear air springs replaced, by an indy, and it cost $1,250 -- which is on the high side. They used Arnott which I later found were more expensive than the BMW ones. As ard said, Arnott are OEM though.

Frustratingly, I started having occasional "Electronic Damping Control (EDC) malfunction" errors a couple of months after that. A different indy replaced the left ride height sensor for $400. Two months later, EDC malfunction error was constant -- dealer replaced left rear strut and shock absorber -- that was $1,700
Old 08-14-2017, 03:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
The X5 Arnott air springs are just over $200 on Amazon for the pair. I found that going direct to Arnott they will match that price.

Arnott has a lifetime warranty.

I think it would make sense to replace these in pairs.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoinsf View Post
these types of questions are totally rhetorical imo.

Some people here are diy types. For them you overpaid because this is documented as an easy diy job and there are sources for the part cheaper than the dealer or even some popular bmw part vendors. Not sure the 30 minute claim is 100% accurate if you consider the end to end process of getting into your work on the car clothes, position the car in the garage to work on it, possibly lift it, remove wheels, alternatively drive it on ramps, gather the tools you think you'll need, find the parts you stashed somewhere, do a job you've never done before, get the tools you actually need, finish the wrenching, put wheels back on, reset car on its four wheels, test the work, put tools away, clean yourself up including a nice shower cuz there's no way the other half is letting you sit on the couch with a celebratory beverage with car grime all over you. The actual wrenching time may be 30 minutes but i'd allocate at least 2 hours all in; i'll know for sure how long it takes when mine fail which shouldn't be too long from now given reports here.

You paid a third party to procure a bmw branded part and replace it. That shop owner has to lease their space, hire technicians, train them, buy equipment, maintain it all, buy insurance, pay taxes on what they make. They're not touching any car for less than a one hour charge. If you consider moving the car around, researching what they need to do, get the part, and possibly wash the car afterwards they probably have 1.5 hours into the job.
So, yeah, you got a fair deal because you did the first world thing, didn't get your hands dirty, just handed over your credit card. Ironically you probably also have nearly two hours of your time invested by having to drop off and pickup the car.

Sent from my ipad using bimmerfest
+1
Old 08-14-2017, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Both my rear air springs broke about 1:00 PM today, had to drive 200 miles back into town as I was in the middle of no where. Just calling around now to see what it costs. BMW quoted me $2900 CDN, even factoring in exchange your deal sounds really GOOD! at this point. Oouch!
Old 04-22-2019, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 35d, 02 E39 M5, 328
Replacing Rear Air Springs

Mt drivers side air spring has failed. Do I need / should replace both passenger and drivers side? X5 has 108k miles on it...
Old 04-22-2019, 06:14 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I would.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:30 PM

Thank you.

As a best practise or to avoid any self levelling issues?
Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Just best practice. They eihter work or not...wont partially work or half way inflate

I think you can have a leaky bag that impacts the whole system- so your replace one side, bt the other had a leak too. Stuff like that

Old 05-04-2019, 01:34 PM

Rear Air Springs Installed

I purchased a pair of Air Springs from Arnott and installed them today.

Very straight forward if your willing to cut the old air spring (which I did)

* Disconnect negative terminal on battery (don't close the hatch or your climbing into the back to manually release the hood.
* Jack up rear of x5
* Remove rear wheel
* While wearing safety goggles, small cut into old air spring (be prepared for a loud bang) - scared the crap out of me.
* Release two clips on the bottom of air spring strut assembly. Finger pressure is fine.
* Turn whole air spring assembly slightly to release from top.
* Carefully, turn it, so you can access air hose connector.
* Using a 10mm remove and discard old connector.
* The new Arnott Air Spring comes with a pre-installed air connector. All you need to do is press in the air hose into the new connector (they include visual instructions)
* Lining up the top of the air spring is a PIA but not bad. Loads of room but working "blind"
* Expand the bottom of the new air spring until it reaches and connects into the lower strut arm.
* Confirm it's all locked and properly in place.
*After I installed the tire, I lowered the car and put some weight on the rear wheel but kept the jack holding most of the car weight.
* Re-Connect battery and start the car.
* You'll hear the compressor refilling the Air Spring.
* Lower the car.
* Repeat on other side and confirmed height which in my case was identical.

I attached a pic of the old Air Spring. The passenger side was fine but decided to replace both anyways. Also a pic of the new spring before it being inflated.

Took me hour and half.

PS: Post installation and after starting the car - you'll get an ominous warning on the dash. Once Air springs are inflated... take it for a drive. The warning re-set itself. When I did the drivers side - I used my reader to reset it. However, when I did the passenger side - I drove off and it reset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	850493   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	850495   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail3.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	850497  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: e46 330ci, e53 x5
I had the rear bags changed for $500 (both) but now have a problem with the tailgate (trunk) open warning. Truck closes ok, it opens very slowly and then quits about half way. The alarm chime is a pain - is there something that needs to be reset?
Old 05-17-2019, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by bf900 View Post
I purchased a pair of Air Springs from Arnott and installed them today.

Very straight forward if your willing to cut the old air spring (which I did)

* Disconnect negative terminal on battery (don't close the hatch or your climbing into the back to manually release the hood.
* Jack up rear of x5
* Remove rear wheel
* While wearing safety goggles, small cut into old air spring (be prepared for a loud bang) - scared the crap out of me.
* Release two clips on the bottom of air spring strut assembly. Finger pressure is fine.
* Turn whole air spring assembly slightly to release from top.
* Carefully, turn it, so you can access air hose connector.
* Using a 10mm remove and discard old connector.
* The new Arnott Air Spring comes with a pre-installed air connector. All you need to do is press in the air hose into the new connector (they include visual instructions)
* Lining up the top of the air spring is a PIA but not bad. Loads of room but working "blind"
* Expand the bottom of the new air spring until it reaches and connects into the lower strut arm.
* Confirm it's all locked and properly in place.
*After I installed the tire, I lowered the car and put some weight on the rear wheel but kept the jack holding most of the car weight.
* Re-Connect battery and start the car.
* You'll hear the compressor refilling the Air Spring.
* Lower the car.
* Repeat on other side and confirmed height which in my case was identical.

I attached a pic of the old Air Spring. The passenger side was fine but decided to replace both anyways. Also a pic of the new spring before it being inflated.

Took me hour and half.

PS: Post installation and after starting the car - you'll get an ominous warning on the dash. Once Air springs are inflated... take it for a drive. The warning re-set itself. When I did the drivers side - I used my reader to reset it. However, when I did the passenger side - I drove off and it reset.
Thanks for sharing.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search